Old 03-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
1st timer needs Tow vehicle recommendations

I just retired and purchased my 1st AS. It is a 2016 International Signature 27FB. (7600 GVWR/770 Hitch Weight). Now I need to upgrade to a bigger truck. Planning to travel extensively and want to do so comfortably and with minimal towing worries. Probably purchase something used and preferably in the $40K-50k price range. All replies and advice is greatly appreciated. Also need recommendations on weight distribution hitches. Thanks in advance and I hope we meet up on the open road.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
1st timer needs Tow vehicle recommendations

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo diesel.

ProPride hitch.

I selected both of these based on extensive reading here as a first time ASer in 2015. Boss decided she wanted a 27FC FB. We traded that last July for a 30FC Rear Queen.

We travel full time 3 seasons across coast to coast in all weathers. I had zip for towing experience.

For towing, I bought a '16 Ram 2500. I opted for the Ramboxes. Love the truck. The Diesel pulls like a train. The exhaust brake works flawlessly up and down grades up to 10.5%. The truck is built for towing, from the Class V receiver, 7 way jack, 4 pre-set slots for trailers, software adjustment for brake gain, tow/haul mode, and a manual trailer brake control.

The ProPride was expensive. I think $2600 at least. Towing with it is effortless. The trailer feels like it tracks the truck 100%.

Warm welcome to the forum.

Rich

ďCharacter is doing the right thing when nobodyís looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing thatís right is to get by, and the only thing thatís wrong is to get caught.Ē - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome and congrats on the retirement and new trailer!

I have a 27FB and the tongue weight in the marketing materials is quite lighter than real life. Now admittedly, I use the ProPride hitch Llando88 recommended and that must add over 100# there - but I do love the hitch.

I also use a 3/4T truck - mine's a Chevy and a diesel - I think any of the big 3 in either gas or diesel are likely good choices though I will admit, I'm not a fan of the behemoth as a driver away from the trailer - just so stupidly large!

But for towing, it really is a dream.

You can likely find a 2-3 year old truck in the range you mentioned.

You'll find folks here are mostly helpful even while often brand loyal (to their truck, hitch, tires, coffee maker, brand of beer, etc.) so take everything here - including my thoughts - with a salt lick and enjoy yourself!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome. What is your current truck?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to the Airstream community. You want to enjoy the Airstream lifestyle and see our beautiful country at your own pace. I recommend you step up to the heavy duty pickups and I recommend a diesel for hassle free towing, knowing full well they cost more to buy and cost more to operate. We certainly enjoy our Super Duty. All three major brands make darn good trucks.

There are several good hitches out there too. Your dealer may have a recommendation for you. We pull with a Pro Pride no sway hitch and it works very well. That said, it is a bit more involved with hitching up and maintenance.

David
Old 03-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Welcome. What is your current truck?
2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7L V8
Old 03-31-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe trade for a 2007-up Tundra with the 5.7 iForce?
Love my Tundra.
Your 1st gen Tundra may do it.
Have you tried?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Maybe trade for a 2007-up Tundra with the 5.7 iForce?
Love my Tundra.
Your 1st gen Tundra may do it.
Have you tried?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
Welcome to the family!!, as said b-4, you can't go wrong with the big 3, but also where do you plan going... We are here in Cocoa, fl, but don't plan on going long, probably won't travel out of the southeast, so we just bought a 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and we are in love with it. She doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the big guys, but we really don't need them. It pulls our 28' international with little effort PLUS it's our daily driver. Now, as for the hitch, we just replaced our Reese WD with the pro pride 1400. We did this to help with my injuries when hooking up and so far it is one of the best things we have done to the trailer!!! Plus, it has all but eliminated the "banging" noise when turning, (I'm sure you all know that dreadful noise)!!!.
Best of luck to you and congratulations on the trailer.

If you need to see a pro pride and your in the cocoa area, send me a msg and your more than welcome to see ours...
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Dawg View Post
I just retired and purchased my 1st AS. It is a 2016 International Signature 27FB. (7600 GVWR/770 Hitch Weight). Now I need to upgrade to a bigger truck. Planning to travel extensively and want to do so comfortably and with minimal towing worries. Probably purchase something used and preferably in the $40K-50k price range. All replies and advice is greatly appreciated. Also need recommendations on weight distribution hitches. Thanks in advance and I hope we meet up on the open road.
If you get a 3/4 ton or larger truck you don't need a weight distribution hitch. The unloaded truck is already front heavy. The tongue load of the trailer will help to balance it out and your stability and handling will be better than if you have too much weight on the front wheels and not enough on the back.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #11

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins turbo diesel.

ProPride hitch.

I selected both of these based on extensive reading here as a first time ASer in 2015. Boss decided she wanted a 27FC FB. We traded that last July for a 30FC Rear Queen.

We travel full time 3 seasons across coast to coast in all weathers. I had zip for towing experience.

For towing, I bought a '16 Ram 2500. I opted for the Ramboxes. Love the truck. The Diesel pulls like a train. The exhaust brake works flawlessly up and down grades up to 10.5%. The truck is built for towing, from the Class V receiver, 7 way jack, 4 pre-set slots for trailers, software adjustment for brake gain, tow/haul mode, and a manual trailer brake control.

The ProPride was expensive. I think $2600 at least. Towing with it is effortless. The trailer feels like it tracks the truck 100%.

Warm welcome to the forum.

Rich
Second this recommendation as it is nearly identical to what I have, only I have a 28FC. Tows like an absolute dream. Like Rich, I also did not have any towing experience when I started out (last Aug), but I've done over 7k miles now and feel extremely confident and comfortable with this rig, and regularly do 70-75 mph when the roads are open and clear. Even at 75 the ride is extremely smooth, and I have yet to experience sway.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #12

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
If you get a 3/4 ton or larger truck you don't need a weight distribution hitch. The unloaded truck is already front heavy. The tongue load of the trailer will help to balance it out and your stability and handling will be better than if you have too much weight on the front wheels and not enough on the back.
Maybe you "don't need" one, but that doesn't mean you won't benefit or have a better towing experience with one. There are probably already 50 page discussions on this forum somewhere about WD hitches and how evenly they distribute the weight, but in general using them still retains the majority of the tongue weight.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2017 28' Flying Cloud
Southwest Ranches , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vossom View Post
Maybe you "don't need" one, but that doesn't mean you won't benefit or have a better towing experience with one. There are probably already 50 page discussions on this forum somewhere about WD hitches and how evenly they distribute the weight, but in general using them still retains the majority of the tongue weight.
You won't benefit from a weight distribution hitch on a diesel 3/4 ton truck. An unloaded Ram 2500, for example, has 62% of its weight on the front axle, 32% on the rear. That's not good. After putting a 1000 lb load on the hitch ball the front axle gets 51% and the rear gets 49%. That's close to perfect and you certainly don't want to distribute weight back again to the front.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #14

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Central , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergatroyd View Post
You won't benefit from a weight distribution hitch on a diesel 3/4 ton truck. An unloaded Ram 2500, for example, has 62% of its weight on the front axle, 32% on the rear. That's not good. After putting a 1000 lb load on the hitch ball the front axle gets 51% and the rear gets 49%. That's close to perfect and you certainly don't want to distribute weight back again to the front.
Axles are rated individually, not as a system, so saying if they both get 50% of the total weight of truck + trailer is a flawed theory. You also imply that the truck is flawed straight out of the factory.

From: http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/tow...-still-needed/

"...the 2015 Ram 1500/2500/3500 owner’s manual says a weight-distribution hitch is required for trailers weighing more than 5,000 pounds"

Also see: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ch-104004.html - where this has already been discussed (and I'm sure there are other threads as well).

Bring me some strong evidence that a WD is not only unhelpful, but harmful, on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and I'll listen. Until then I will keep enjoying my ProPride WD hitch on my RAM 2500 as my tow experience has been nothing short of excellent.