Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

1977 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Tow car

Hi out there, new to the site and this is my first post. Ive been searching for a older Airstream (early 70,s) to tow behind my 1970 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. It has a 472 ci V8 and I believe a turbo 400 tranny (everything is stock) I have added an additional electric cooling fan, but thats it. Ive found a 1977 Sovereign 31' that I would love to bring back to its glory but I dont know if Lucille (The Caddy) will tow it. The only info I can find on the car is that it can tow 7200 lbs but I can only find a hitch rated at 5500 lbs.
If anyone has any info on modifications I might need to make or recommend a size of Airstream I should be looking for? Weights of different models? Brakes? tranny coolers? Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Not planning to cross the country but local trips and possible vintage rallys sound fun. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Brett (Goin retro)
Goin Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums.
The Caddy was built in the time of custom-made hitches, so you will probably not find one to fit with the proper rating. A welding shop should be able to fix you up with one.
I seem to remember those cars being hard to cool. I would see how hot things get under the hood just driving with the air conditioner on. A transmission cooler would be a really good idea, along with replacing the gear lube in the rear end with synthetic, it will stand the higher temperatures from towing better than the dino oil.
Also, bear in mind those cars were built right at the start of the time the national speed limit was 55, so towing at sustained higher speeds should be looked at closely.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Portsmouth , Virginia
With a custom hitch , tranny cooler, synthetic fluids, go through the cooling system, maybe even add an auxillary cooling (radiator) fan you should be good to go. The Big Caddy V8 should be more than enough power, trans should be a turbo 400, the only thing holding you back would be gear ratio. The 70's big GM boats were great tow vehicles! I remember as a kid reading a trailer life mag, said tow vehicle of the year was a Buick Electra 225! That was probably 1975! Coincidentaly, the owners manual of my 75 Argosy 26' has only 1 pic showing it hooked up to a "truck" ( jeep grand wagoneer) the rest of them were big GM land yachts like yours!
PLDodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Something I just remembered that will affect your and your Caddy. Prior to 1973, the cylinder heads did not have hardened valve seats. Tetraethyl lead was added to the gasoline as a lubricant. With the abolishment of leaded gas, you will either have to remove the heads and have hardened valve seats installed, or use a valve lubricant in each tank of gas.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Portsmouth , Virginia
You would be surprised how long those old engines go w/o leaded fuel. An additive is a good idea, I don't think I would use it every fill-up though. Hook'er up and go! Vintage camper & Vintage car make for fun camping trips!
PLDodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Going Retro. We have towed with a 1969 Cadillac convertible with the 472 cid engine and wth A/C equips the car with a 3.26 rear gearing. What the rear gearing is lacking the horsepower makes up.. Towing a 4200 lb Globe Trotter is a piece of cake for this motor with 75 more horsepower (375hp) than a 2004 Chevy Duramax diesel and torque with 4 foot pounds of the Duramax. Caddy torque 525 ft lbs, Duramax 529)
One important recommendation. Replace the timing gear set before you tow.
We learned the hard way returning home from the 2005 Springfield International when the timing chain fell off the nylon coated aluminum gears. This is, so to speak, a 100,000 mile GM built in self-destruct feature, at or near mileage of a 100,000 miles, our car had 100,723 when failure occurred, the steel chain eats or wears it way thru the nylon coating the gear. End result is chain falls off, piston slaps a valve, and motor needs a rebuild. At least now we don't have to worry about unleaded fuel, $4400.00 later. Cars runs great!!
We also added a transmission cooler,too.
We had our local hitch shop weld us up a great Class 4 hitch the old way of doing it. Welding bits of steel together like they did 25 years ago.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
1971 31" Excella 500

1971 31' Excella 500
Palm Springs , California
Vintage Cadillac hitch

Phoenix custom hitch guy has been building Hitches since these Cadillacs were new. Not cheap at about $700-$800 with new P3 brake control wiring, about 2 days labor. Great quality workmanship.
B&M Hitches,

B&M Bumper & Hitch
4645 W. Missouri Avenue
(Grand & Missouri)
Glendale, Arizona 85301

Phone: 623-939-8240

I added a new heavy duty (4 row) radiator

1975-1976 Cadillac - Radiators, Desert Cooler AT, 17 x 261/4 x 25/8 (Se… | OPGI.com

new water pump, and transmission cooler. Just like a modern car, it has to be in top safe condition to tow the trailer. Tires, brakes, brake lines, cooling hoses, belts, ect. A lower differential final gear ratio replacement .....say 3.23 or better 3. 73 ratio. makes a difference
gda71excella is offline   Reply With Quote