Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
1967 Silver Streak Sabre towing with brakes question.

I've just bought a 1967 Silver Streak Sabre 20ft twin axle (weight 2880lbs) trailer and it's been parked for 10 years. I'm towing with a 2000 F150 V8 that has a tow package. It'll tow it easily and I tow transporter trailers all the time.
I plan to put new tires and tow it to nearby Camping World for the bearings to be repacked and brakes checked. (Southern California)

My question is do I need a brake controller? They obviously didn't exist back in 66 and so why do I need one now? I can't seem to find any wiring in my truck other than the tow hookup round connector....is it difficult to wire in a controller if I need one? If I do...is there wiring in the trailer to be done?
Thanks
uknunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Actually, brake controllers did exist back in '66, although they were a hydraulic pressure operated variable resistor, but they worked. Not as good as the electronic versions do today, but they worked.

And in my opinion, you do need a brake controller. You may get contradicting opinions, but I doubt it.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Your truck has the wiring for a trailer built in. When you buy your brake control, get the correct wiring harness, it plugs in under the dash.

At the back of the truck there is a plug tucked up in the frame, probably on the right side. You buy another wiring harness and plug it in there. The other end of this harness plugs into the trailer.

These harnesses are standardized but you may need to change some of the wires because the standard has changed between 1966 and 2000. This is not difficult to do if you have the wiring diagrams which come with the controller and harnesses.

Look in the kitchen drawers and cupboards of the trailer. You may be lucky and find the original manuals, they will have the trailer wiring diagram. If not, you can figure it out by connecting the wires one by one.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
Looks like my truck is all wired and ready. Gonna get the Tekonsha P3 controller with the adaptor and it should plug straight in. I have the 7 point hitch socket at the back and so fingers crossed it should all be ready for the first tow home. (after breaks and bearings are done) Only 150 miles to pull her.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
uknun,
As Ganaraska said, the wiring for standardized 7 pin connectors changed between then and now. Make sure you check which wires go to what on the trailer. Just plugging it up could cause shorts or engage the brakes when you turn on a turn signal or the lights. Then wire up the trailer to match the diagram on the cover of the 7 way connector on the back of your truck.
Google has lots of hits for old and new connector wiring and color codes.
Tom J
Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
Thanks Tom. Will certainly do that!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
By the way, nice trailer you have there. I have always admired the Silver Streak, they were the best built trailer of their day and the most expensive.

Tags