Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
york , Pennsylvania
Smile 1965 safari hitch wiring cut off

I am the proud owner of my 'new to me' 1965 safari 22' twin. Unfortunately the wiring for towing was cut off. I am able to pull out enough of the seven towing harness wiring to connect a new harness and plug to.

My question is.... In the starboard channel, I found two wires, of course they aren't connected, just cut off also. I don't see any type of emergency brake thing. Are these wires supposed to be to that?

I love the information on this forum and will start a thread soon for my girl. She is all original inside and just needs cleaned up. The rear bumper was roughly removed, I heard that the previous owner tied it to a tree and pulled it off, so yes one of the rear channels is a little askew. I'm not sure what the back bumper area is to look like as all the pics I've seen the cover or 'flap' is down. I would love a pic of someone's that is open.

Mainly I am going to wire her for the road and take her to a state park for a few days roughing it. The gas lines need replaced so no heat or cooking but the refrig and electric work fine. Probably won't use the water either as I haven't tested it yet.

Thanks for the help. I am a first time "Airstreamer"

Elaine

Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It sounds like they could be for the break away switch. If they are, one wire should be +12 volts from the trailer battery and is also used for a power jack if you have one. The other wire connects to the break magnets.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
york , Pennsylvania
No power jack, just Elaine power.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #4

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You can verify that the one wire is +12 volts with a simple volt meter.

I am surprised that your trailer has no break away switch. They are required by law.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1965 safari hitch wiring cut off

Greetings Elaine!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineH View Post
I am the proud owner of my 'new to me' 1965 safari 22' twin. Unfortunately the wiring for towing was cut off. I am able to pull out enough of the seven towing harness wiring to connect a new harness and plug to.

My question is.... In the starboard channel, I found two wires, of course they aren't connected, just cut off also. I don't see any type of emergency brake thing. Are these wires supposed to be to that?

I love the information on this forum and will start a thread soon for my girl. She is all original inside and just needs cleaned up. The rear bumper was roughly removed, I heard that the previous owner tied it to a tree and pulled it off, so yes one of the rear channels is a little askew. I'm not sure what the back bumper area is to look like as all the pics I've seen the cover or 'flap' is down. I would love a pic of someone's that is open.

Mainly I am going to wire her for the road and take her to a state park for a few days roughing it. The gas lines need replaced so no heat or cooking but the refrig and electric work fine. Probably won't use the water either as I haven't tested it yet.

Thanks for the help. I am a first time "Airstreamer"

Elaine
Since you are new to the world of Vintage Airstreams, you might want to familiarize yourself with the wiring of the umbilical cord in most of the Vintage Airstreams from the 1960s. I believe that you will find the umbilical cord juction box in the bellypan of your coach . . . if my notes are correct, it is in approximately the same locatiion as it was on the 1964 coaches . . . in the bellypan on the curbside next to the frame rail about a foot to behind the front edge of the bellypan . . . the junction box is hidden by a removable panel in the bellypan.

My notes do not indicate what colors the wires running through the coach might be. I do know that in many of the early 1960s coaches all of the wires running through the coach were of the same color (usually red), and their function was identified by the number of "knots" found in the wires as they entered the junction box. When I had the umbilical cord replaced in my '64 Overlander, a wire pull cable was used to pull a new "standard" umbilical cord (purchased at my local brand X travel trailer dealer) through the hitch rail into the junction box for attachment to the coach wiring. To make life easier for future wiring projects, the new cable utilized the industry-standard wire colors so it became a project of determining the function of each of the coach's internal wires and attaching it to the correct color wire in the new cable. The project was a day-long headache, but the coach now has new wiring for the umbilical as well as the electric jack and breakaway switch.

There are good wiring diagrams available here on the Forums as well as in various locations on the web that can assist in properly wiring in your electric jack and breakaway switch.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

P.S.: When wiring in a new umbilical cable is a good time to consider switching to a heavy duty "pin-type" connector rather than the usual "blade-type" connector. While it seems to be an industry standard connector, the blade-type connector in my experience has been a corrossion magnet that has required annual replacement on my tow vehicle and the end on my trailer seemed to be doing well if it lasted three or four seasons before requiring replacement. i switched to the heavy-duty 7-pin connectors four years ago and have been able to elminate my annual maintenace disassembly process on both cable ends (trailer and tow vehicle). As an emergency preparedness measure, I do carry an adapter to switch from my 7-pin to the more common 7-blade connector so that the coach can be towed by someone with the blade-type connector if my tow vehicle should become disabled.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
york , Pennsylvania
followup - found and attached new umbilical, also the two wires dangling are for the breakaway switch. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Probably the most useful piece of information that I gatherered when rewiring my 7 pin connector with same wiring colors (64 Airstream) ... found it and it proved correct and INVALUABLE ... follows info found that solved my problem on the wrong color rewiring front:

Airstream color codes do not match the current 7-pin blade style color codes, if you remove the original and then hook red to red, etc, you will have some strange connections.

Here are the codes from my Argosy manual. These are for the tow vehicle plug looking at the plug end.

White - Ground - 6 o'clock
Blue - Charge Line - Center Pin
Brown - Right Turn and Stop - 4 0'clock
Green - Tailight and clearance - 2 o'clock
Red - Left Turn and Stop - 12 o'clock
Yellow - Brakes - 10 o'clock
Black - Backup lights - 8 o'clock

Don't know if these were the same for all years, but they do not match the current Pollak style 7 blade connector, that's for sure.