Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #1

Bensch Ranch , Arizona
1949 30' Spartan

We have just purchased a 1949 30' Spartan. We are looking at towing it with our 2004 Astro van. As it has been sitting for a number of years we were thinking of getting new tires & have 2 questions:
1) what type of breaks did they have
2) what is the bolt pattern

I have visited the Spartan Trailer web site but have not been able to locate the information.
We have a long way to haul approx. 800 miles
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Great purchase! Congradulations.

I suspect you are sitting over over the maximum listed towing capacity of you tow vehicle. I would not attempt to bring this home 8 miles much less 800 without a complete refurb and inspection of the bearings, brakes, wheels and tires.

You could probably count on auxillary lights also. And also please be sure to check out the hitch and break away. I'm assuming a proper brake controller is in the pictures and hopefully some method of sway control weight distribution.

Do you have towing experience?

Please take your time, use your head, and don't let emotions cause you to make a mistake that could cost you either big money or most importantly, bodily harm!

Your gonna need both arms to polish that trailer!

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyS View Post
We have just purchased a 1949 30' Spartan. We are looking at towing it with our 2004 Astro van. As it has been sitting for a number of years we were thinking of getting new tires & have 2 questions:
1) what type of breaks did they have
2) what is the bolt pattern

I have visited the Spartan Trailer web site but have not been able to locate the information.
We have a long way to haul approx. 800 miles
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
The lug pattern is likely 5 on 5 1/2 (the same as what was used on 1/2 ton Ford Pick-ups of the 60's & 70's, however the center hole would need to be enlarged). It might be prudent to source new wheels though, if your plan was to maintain those axles. You might want to check the spindle diameters very carefully as the spindles on the 48 Spartanette that we recently worked on were smaller than current 3500 lb axles. The brakes are likely 6 volt & the drums are not compatible with modern backing plates. We converted the Spartanette over to a modern torsion axle along with the modern 6 on 5 1/2 lug pattern. This will allow the client "peace of mind" while travelling & allow them numerous sources for replacement parts in the future.
Good luck,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Welcome!

Spartan's are wonderful trailers - quite the eye catcher. Can you ask the seller to send you a photo of the wheel/rim to determine the bolt pattern? Vintage wheels can be odd, they may be a mobile home type trailer wheel and every manufacturer used something different.

Also, Dan Piper at Vintagecampers.com is somewhat of an expert on Spartans, so he may be able to answer your questions too. He's always been more than helpful when I've contacted him either via phone or email.

Good Luck and post some photos when you get it home.

Tina
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

Bensch Ranch , Arizona
1949 30" Spartan

First of all let me say thank you to all those that responded, we really appreciate your time.

We will read over the responses very carefully & take the appropriate actions.

We contacted the seller, he said the bolt pattern was 6 lug with 14.5 rim?
not sure about that but he said that was on the tire side wall.

Should prove a challange to get tires for that

Again thanks for the response
Regards Vicky
Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You might want to check your specifications for that Astrovan. A 31 foot 1949 Spartan weights 5200 pounds. Not sure the 2004 Astrovan is up for that kind of towing capacity
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyS View Post
First of all let me say thank you to all those that responded, we really appreciate your time.

We will read over the responses very carefully & take the appropriate actions.

We contacted the seller, he said the bolt pattern was 6 lug with 14.5 rim?
not sure about that but he said that was on the tire side wall.

Should prove a challange to get tires for that

Again thanks for the response
Regards Vicky
Vicky,
6 lug probably will make it 6 on 5 1/2, as is common today. Many Airstreams of the 50's had that pattern as well. The 14.5 is the tire diameter which was commonly used on mobile homes, & oddly enough, 1958 Airstream's. You should ask the seller for a photo of the wheel, as it may have been converted over to mobile home type rim's as well, which is a completely different lug pattern than is what is typical on travel trailers. I believe mobile homes had a "wide five" lug pattern.
I echo the sentiments about the Astro van being too small a tow vehicle for such a trailer.
Colin
Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
The Astro can do it. Just take it easy and have the Astro fitted properly for towing. IIRC since the frame is from the S10-S20 it should handle 6-7.5K...

The wheels are most likely 6x5.5 (normal trailer rims). Dexstar replacement wheels should do the trick and look vintage. Most RV stores carry them.

As for tires, D load or 16" wheels with E load are fine. You have a lot of room under the apron when properly jacked up!

The Warner brakes are very robust! Just get the shoes relined and you are fine... If the original parts are well kept (which most larger trailer are). PM me if you want my local shop to rebuild them for you.

Count on the lights and brake wiring being trash. This will take some time to replace in the field. (shhh, I towed mine 8 hours with no trailer brakes, just go slow and travel at night to avoid traffic)

Please see my '48 Mansion restoration thread on more details:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...ion-95803.html

Join the Yahoo group for Spartan Trailers for the official mailing list. At least it is the only Spartan dedicated resource that I am aware of.

Dan Piper as said before is a good resource for parts and advice. Friendly and fair prices.

Please PM me for more info! I am happy to help.
Other: 1979 Porsche 911 SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
The Astro can do it. Just take it easy and have the Astro fitted properly for towing. IIRC since the frame is from the S10-S20 it should handle 6-7.5K...
That was not the advice I gave. Just so you know who NOT to blame...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
As far as I know, at least with the 80's era Astro Vans, the van was unibody, with a sub frame up front to carry the engine & front suspension. The rear axle was suspended on a monoleaf fiberglass leaf spring with the shackles attached to integral frame rails spot welded to the floor. I believe the largest engine was also the 4.3 V6. Perhaps GM did a major redesign before phasing it out, but the exterior certainly remained virtually identical.

Colin
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
A great run down on the Astro history and composition. In summary, it is a truck frame with a 4.3 V-6. Claimed towing capacity 6000.
Chevrolet Astro

Some good tips on equipping your Astro to tow properly. I would especially heed the LT tire suggestion.
Towing Capacity

Your Spartan Mansion fully dressed is/was 4975 pounds from the factory. The Astro is rated to carry the load... When properly equipped.
http://www.spartantrailer.com/production.html

The Astro was a niche beast for what they were.

... There is a mid size 27'(?) AS owner here from Canada that tows with a Toyota Sienna which blows my mind!
Other: 1979 Porsche 911 SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
It is probably to late for any comment, but IMHO, I'd flat bed this thing home, it could save you boocoo trouble. If its a done deed, how's about an update on the trip.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

Bensch Ranch , Arizona
1949 Spartan

After talking & consideration we have decided to have the trailer moved by flatbed trailer.
We will have it moved & transported to AZ by the end of the month.
We are so looking forward to it, but I have to get hubby to move along on the 67 cougar, the 58 ranchero & the 57 ranch wagon.

Tags