Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Diesel baby, any brand. They are all good. I have towed with two diesel brands of the big three and a gas burb. You can get the job done with any of them but it is soooooo much more enjoyable with a diesel.

elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Boonville , Missouri
Diesel Wins

From the great advice of all of you, it seems to be the general consensus that diesel is the way to go. We do plan on going to Colorado next summer so we would be in the mountains. We were out there this summer in just a car and the brakes on the car got hot on some of the long down grades and had to really push on the gas on many of the steep grades going up. Found that a vehicle runs a lot differently in the high altitude of the mountains than it does here in Missouri of about 600 feet of elevation. I welcome all of your experienced advice and the same for anyone else that wishes to ad to what has already been said. Since we head to Oregon in about 4 days, guess I will have to do something pretty quickly.

Fmcnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
It's a gas ...

We're currently on a couple week tour of the National Parks in Southern Utah towing out 2011 27' FC that I'd guess weighs in at about 6800 #. Our TV is a 2001 Sub 1500 5.3 ltr with close to 130k on the odometer. Since buying our AS in Feb 2011, I've been looking for excuses to spend the big bucks for a "real TV" like a diesel truck. So far, the Sub keeps doing fine. This trip, we've crested three passes on Hwy 70 over 7k, the highest was just short of 7900 ft. Traveling east the grades seem a bit less steep than on the west bound side; I don't know. I'd guess they're in the 3 to 4% range. We crested the highest pass at 50 mph in third gear. I don't run the engine much over 3k rpm, so on the steeper grades, that means we come over at around 45. So far, with almost 1700 miles traveled we've been averaging just short of 11 mpg. We've been passed by more powerful RVs and more powerful TVs, but, heck, we're on vacation. So, all this is to say that I wouldn't rule out a gas engine TV.
As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
I forgot ... I installed vented disks on the front of the Sub. Haven't had any problems with brake fade, even on extended 6+ % down grades.
As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Since we bought the Ram Diesel, the AS has disappeared from behind ... no effort to pull the FC at all! Mileage around town is down, but road mileage pulling is better than with the f150 triton. Just smoothe controllable power from the diesel at about 13-14 mpg / gas F150 got 10-12 mpg.
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Diesel ownership is a bit more complicated in some ways, but well worth the extra effort. We always carry spare diesel fuel filters, and I've gotten proficient at doing the change over anywhere. Just takes one clogged fuel filter from a Mom & Pop diesel vendor to leave you on the side of the road or in "limp-home" mode to make you a believer.

That said, it's well worth the extra effort. Plenty of online resources in addition to this one to help you through the details.
'94 Excella 1000; '03 Silverado 2500HD
Louisville, Tennessee
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
+1 for the diesel vote as well. For Chevy diesel forums (check other peoples towing configurations) try or

Having towed with multiple configurations I like the diesel power much better. The torque just cannot be argued with.

IMO the ultimate tow vehicles are the 97-99 6.5TD Suburban and 7.3 Excursion... Granted there are a few shops placing Duramax motors in 2500 Suburban chasis which would be even better! But bring your checkbook $$$.

My wife has an Escalade with the HO 6.0 and it can't compete with the old 6.5TD when towing. And mileage LOL forget it with any 6.0. The 2500HD 6.0 with the better chassis tows well, but the power delivery just isnt there.

Trailer: 1948 Spartan Mansion 30'
Tow Rig: 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Tow Rig: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion
Other: 1979 Porsche 911 SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote