Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gretna , Louisiana
'11 Land Cruiser TV experience/recommendations

I'm sooooo close to convincing my husband to get an AS but want to make sure I am doing the right thing for my family. I have two little ones and don't want to put them in danger.

I currently have a '11 Land Cruiser with no plans to buy anything else or have a dedicated TV, hubs has a Subaru Outback so that's not an option. I want to get something smaller=safer, yet big enough that can sleep 4, we might even live in it for a few months! How do you determine what is a safe length for your vehicle? Based on all the stats, it looks like we can tow something longer but now I'm quite nervous about it.

I've searched around but can't find much info on using my current vehicle as a TV here. Any experience, any insight, any encouragement???
midmod_nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gretna , Louisiana
Would like to add that I do want a vintage model! For the character and the lighter weights.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I would suggest that you begin with Toyota and find what they rated the Land Cruiser to tow. We used to have a 6cyl Toyota 4-runner that was rated to 5000#. The V-8 model was rated for 7000#. The LC is larger and heavier and I should think able to handle a decent size trailer.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gretna , Louisiana
It has a towing capacity of 8,200 but based on some of the comments I've seen, there are other factors at play. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Based on that number, I could tow a very long vintage trailer but do I want to??? Will it be the scariest drive of my life??? lol!
Old 11-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
If you're able to take a picture of the sticker inside the driver side door and post it here, it may provide additional info to provide a starting point for you.

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
If you're able to take a picture of the sticker inside the driver side door and post it here, it may provide additional info to provide a starting point for you.

Dave

What he said. Use the actual numbers from your vehicle. I'd go weigh your vehicle also and go from there.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
23' or less you should be fine. Have it set up by a dealer who can weigh it etc. lots of folks on here do all the weighing etc. I'm an engineer and I just had a dealer set it up. You will have to have a brake controller installed.

I towed a 19' with a Grand Cherokee Overland V6, no problems, but I live in Detroit where there are a lot of idiot drivers so I traded up to a one-ton Ford crew cab. I commute with this truck too.

The 19' is a very nice size, also people like a 20'. You might take a look at those too although a bit small for 4 people.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
The missing X factor you are stewing about is Payload.

It's like this.

Your vehicle will have several data points related to its ability to tow and haul.

Payload is the number of pounds capacity being born by the frame of the vehicle that you can safely have the vehicle move and stop.

Payload is anything beyond the driver and tank of gas.

So all passengers, all the luggage, car seats, strollers, any cargo in the back seat, behind the back seat, on the roof rack, and the hitch weight. Added up that is the payload number.

My Toyota Tundra has a payload of about 1200 pounds. It is rated to "tow" 10,000 pounds. But the hitch weight, passengers, and cargo still need to weigh less 1200 pounds or it is over its rated payload capacity.

Think of it as a dynamic of engine power and the weight the frame and components can bear safely.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
LOS ANGELES , California
toyota tow

The Tundra and Land Cruiser have the same engine, and close to the same towing capacity. mYou'll be fine with a two axle trailer 25' or so.
coveredwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
2016 26U FC + 2011 LX570

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Our TV is a 2011 LX 570

We tow our 2016 26U Flying Cloud with an LX 570 and have no trouble at all. It's he same chassis as the LC. For us, it's proven to be a great TV. The only drawback we've experienced is the 20 gal fuel tank that only provides about 2.5 hours of towing drive time between stops. This isn't a huge problem b/c we typically need to stop for some reason every 2.5 hours anyway. We use a pro pride hitch with 1,200 pound bars (I feel this set up to be essential for us as the LX 570 is not a long wheel base vehicle and need to avoid sway while also place ample weight to the front axel). We've been very happy with this set up. Importantly, we've also swapped the p-rated tires for Michelin LTX A/T 2's (e-rated) on the LX. We've also upgraded the AS wheels to 16'' size with Michelin LTX M/S 2'a as many have done and commented on here at AF. We just returned from a round trip journey from TX to NH and back and over three weeks - great trip and no problems. We've also traded the steel LP bottles for replacement aluminum bottles to help reduce a little tongue weight. We tow at highway speed limits, subject to good road conditions, safe weather and traffic conditions, otherwise go much slower or choose to wait. Best of luck!
Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gretna , Louisiana
Thank you all so much for the replies! It has made my heart happy to know I don't have to scrap my plan.
here is the photo, if it loads correctly...
Because we are going vintage, everything I'm looking at is way below our tow max so sounds like even with our car seats and strollers and everything that comes with that, we will be alright.
I did really want to get into dual axle to help spread out the weight. Sounds like I still may be able to do that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 71d3OKg2GmS.pdf (130.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gretna , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debit View Post
We tow our 2016 26U Flying Cloud with an LX 570 and have no trouble at all. It's he same chassis as the LC. For us, it's proven to be a great TV. The only drawback we've experienced is the 20 gal fuel tank that only provides about 2.5 hours of towing drive time between stops. This isn't a huge problem b/c we typically need to stop for some reason every 2.5 hours anyway. We use a pro pride hitch with 1,200 pound bars (I feel this set up to be essential for us as the LX 570 is not a long wheel base vehicle and need to avoid sway while also place ample weight to the front axel). We've been very happy with this set up. Importantly, we've also swapped the p-rated tires for Michelin LTX A/T 2's (e-rated) on the LX. We've also upgraded the AS wheels to 16'' size with Michelin LTX M/S 2'a as many have done and commented on here at AF. We just returned from a round trip journey from TX to NH and back and over three weeks - great trip and no problems. We've also traded the steel LP bottles for replacement aluminum bottles to help reduce a little tongue weight. We tow at highway speed limits, subject to good road conditions, safe weather and traffic conditions, otherwise go much slower or choose to wait. Best of luck!
Thanks so much Debit! This is exactly what I was looking for! With a three and four year old we do have to stop often, so hopefully the gas is not too much of a concern. I was a bit worried about what our MPGs would go down to!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
think you've got stroller compatibility spreadsheet attached...��
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
2011 Land Cruiser payload is 1,510#- a little less than my Tundra's payload of 1,544#.
I tow a 2013 Classic 30 with my Tundra, but...
2011 Land Cruiser towing capacity is 8,200#- considerably less than my Tundra.
I guess the Sequoia and Land Cruiser have less towing capacity because they have independent rear suspension compared to the solid rear axle of the Tundra.
I would say you can safely tow any Airstream trailer less than 8,200# GVWR- 25'?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Gretna , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
think you've got stroller compatibility spreadsheet attached...��
Whoops! Sorry!

Here we go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161104_162928.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	274998  
Old 11-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The other sticker- white with red and yellow on it-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
look for the CGVWR rating
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I have a 14 LC and was shocked by the amount of sway. I am looking into a stronger hitch/ WD setup. Twas night and day from my Suburban 2500 stability due to longer wheelbase.
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debit View Post

Yes. We have one of the LX as well. Amazing trucks!
jholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sewickley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmod_nomad View Post
I'm sooooo close to convincing my husband to get an AS but want to make sure I am doing the right thing for my family. I have two little ones and don't want to put them in danger.

I currently have a '11 Land Cruiser with no plans to buy anything else or have a dedicated TV, hubs has a Subaru Outback so that's not an option. I want to get something smaller=safer, yet big enough that can sleep 4, we might even live in it for a few months! How do you determine what is a safe length for your vehicle? Based on all the stats, it looks like we can tow something longer but now I'm quite nervous about it.

I've searched around but can't find much info on using my current vehicle as a TV here. Any experience, any insight, any encouragement???
That was our exact situation a year ago.... 200 Land Cruiser and an Outback. We also have 2 little ones. We ended up going with a 30 ft. Serenity and selling the beloved Subie and buying a truck. Wonderful memories after our first year using it. Congrats on finding a solution that'll work. Love Land Cruisers...

Eric
Seinbelld is offline   Reply With Quote