Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Thanks Jim. I actually use a ProPride myself and was going to translate your answer to application on the WD jacks of the PP.

Sean (owner of ProPride) recommended 1400# bars for my 27FB (with a 1080# tongue) on my Chevy 3/4 ton Diesel. I opted for the 1000# bars and am upgrading next month to the 1400# bars as he recommended. I asked about the links because it seems I can dial in whatever amount of WD I want with the jacks on the PP and assume even with the 1400s I might only dial in 1100 and not stress the trailer. But I'm not sure I fully understand your description and why Sean (the manufacturer) recommends the 1400s even with my 3/4 ton! I'll keep reading. Thanks!!

The ProPride and Hensley are unique in they do not depend on the weight distribution to manage sway. Perhaps that means you can just dial in less weight (even with the heavier bars) and maintain a good ride once switching to a heavier sprung truck. It's just my theory though. I use to use a BlueOx Sway Pro and I intentionally undersized the sway bars by a small amount just so I could get more bow in them and better sway control as well as a softer / more forgiving ride.

Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Thanks. I have the 1000lb bars with my Tundra with 5 washers. I feel I need to bump the washers up by one to put a little more weight on the front. It rides level, about 37" to the fender on all 4 wheels but that is still a little too high on the front compared to unhitched height.

I'm thinking of switch to a Blue Ox Swaypro. Because of my tongue weight is 1100-1200lbs Blue Ox recommends 1500lb bars. I'm thinking because the 3/4T doesn't squat as much I could use a 1000lb or maybe a 750lb bar.

But if the bars aren't loaded enough irrespective of the brand doesn't that affect the sway control? So for more effective sway control would a lighter bar be better so you can load it more?

I have 6 washers in my Equal-i-zer hitch head.
I know what works for a 2 wheel drive 5.7 iForce Tundra CrewMax with 20" wheels and a Classic 30.
If you have any different variable- different cab, different wheels, different motor, 4 wheel drive, different trailer- your setup could be different, but only slightly.

2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Today I hitched up the AS to my 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC CTD and towed it around the storage area to find a level spot on asphalt and to adjust the brake controller. I had initially set the Ram ITBC to electric over hydraulic and when pulling out of the gravel storage site onto the asphalt access road found the trailer brakes not responding when pushing the manual control over to the max. I stopped and changed the setting to light electric brakes and found they worked and adjusted to 8.5 gain.

Prior to hitching up I put 5 washers onto the Equalizer head. I was going to use 3 but when I hitched up last week to check the WD I found the front wheel well height was still too high. 5 seems to be good. 5 washers restored front axle to the unloaded height. The rear is still 2" down from unladen but the truck still has a forward rake when looking at it from the side.

My conclusion, at least with the Ram which has coil rear springs, you have to apply almost as many washers as with towing with my 1/2T Tundra. I suspect the coil springs are a progressive, which provides soft spring action unload and more resistance as weight is applied.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote