Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
'05 Tundra 4x4DC, 1975 Tradewind 25"

I'm looking at a 1975 Tradewind 25' and am wondering how my 4.7l 05 Tundra DC will pull it and what hitch might be recommended to complete the package?
AirGosper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Absolutely No problem! The factory Hitch will do just fine. I had a 04 DC tundra when I bought my 1974 25' Tradewind. Power was very good.Even better with a cold air intake. Just use hitch stabilizer and sway bars. Great tow vehicle. Upgraded recently with another Tundra. 08' TRD off road DC.
chefmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Tundra/Tradewind question

Thanks for your support and experience. My Tundra does have the tow package, but I'm not sure how the brake controller system would work? Can't find the module or wiring harness under the dash where the owner's manual indicates it should be. Any suggestions for a hitch stabilizer or sway bar system?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Not sure on a 2005 model, but on our 2008 Tundra, the brake controller harness and connector were tucked up against the firewall, just below the top edge of the plastic foot-well liner, behind the brake pedal.

Gently, pull the plastic liner away from the firewall and look behind it. You should see a wire bundle that terminates with the brake controller connector coiled up and stuffed in between the foot-well liner and the firewall.

We purchased a "Toyota" brake control harness from Tekonsha (the manufacturer of our Prodigy brake controller); and one end plugged into the brake controller, while the other end plugged into the connector found near the firewall.

Tekonsha also makes adapter harnesses for Chevy, Ford, Dodge, etc. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that other brake control manufacturers provide tow vehicle adapter harnesses, too. However, the default harness that comes with brake controllers (that terminates with bare wires; i.e., no connector) is easy to install using the crimped terminals provided.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The connector is where Phoenix described. Remove the panel to the left of the brake panel and look around for it. It might have a dummy plug in the connector and it is most likely tied to other cables in the area.

I had a 2003 Tundra before I bought my 2007. I was able to remove the cable from my 03 and pug it into my 07 with no problems. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controller which works well. If I were going to replace the unit, I would go with the P-3 from Tekonsha.

I also have a 75 Trade Wind and found that the earlier Tundra with the 4.7 motor was fine under most conditions. There were a few times that I got stuck on a steep upgrade and had some issues with getting back up to a reasonable speed. My 03 had the 4 speed automatic and when in tow mode it would only go as high as 3rd gear which really made the MPG take a hit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thank you Phoenix and Richard. I found the connector under the dash--it faces backward but I also found the wiring harness supplied by Toyota in my glove box and can see it fits in the connector. I'll probably go with the 2-plug adapter Tekonsha supplies for their brake controllers. Thanks for the tip about the P-3.

My 05 Tundra has a 5-speed transmission so maybe it will pull a little better uphill.

Can you make any suggestion for the hitch/sway control you used with the Tundra/Tradewind combination?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The Trade Wind is pretty heavy on the tongue which makes it very stable to tow. I use a Reese trunnion weight distribution hitch. I towed for a couple of years without any sway control and did not have any issues, but installed a friction sway bay anyway. It does help reduce the pull you get from a speeding 18 wheeler passing you on the Interstate. You could go with the Reese dual cam system for even more security.

I have 600 pound bars, but found they were a little light on my 03 Tundra. The suspension is pretty soft and in my opinion 800 pound bars might be a better fit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I have the same truck and tow a 23' Safari and a 20' car trailer.
The truck has plenty of power and the 5spd trans is good for towing.
I mounted the brake controller to the right of the steering wheel below the keyhole, it fit perfectly and I have easy access to the emergency switch.

We pulled 2400km round trip to Nashville last year and averaged 14mpg in 4th gear.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I pull my 68 TW with a 2001 Tundra 4x4 and have plenty of power. I use an Equalizer WD hitch. I did have to swap the stem for one would allow the hitch head to go just a little lower. The stock stem was just a little to short. Equalizer swapped it out at no charge.
Also, I would not recommend towing with the OD on even on level roads. Since your truck is newer it might have a tow/haul selection. Lots of stuff on the Toyota forums about towing with the 4.7 Tundras if you are interested.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks to the forum

I just want to say Thank You to all of you who have replied and given such good advice from your own experience. Air Forums is an amazing place and it's due to the generosity and interest of members like all of you. I finally decided against the Tradewind--it actually was a series of decisions that led me back to the original type of trailer I was considering when I began looking for Airstreams. I've ended up with a T@B trailer which just happened to show up as we debated everything and which was what my wife had always wanted. It seems to suit us better since we've been tent/truck campers all our lives. We are very excited and we also appreciate the amazing help that exists in online forums as we start out on this new way to travel. Thanks to all and happy travels!