Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Gatesville , Texas
'05 Tahoe Z71 and 29ft 1972 Ambassador - Will it work?

Hey guys,
Very first post...My wife and I have been looking for an Airstream for quite some time now, and I think we may have a winner. The kicker is that it is a 29 footer, and we were really looking for something in the 27 foot range.

My question is, I have a 2005 Z71 Tahoe with the towing package....will this safely tow this trailer? It does come with stabilizer bars.

This is a particularly good deal, so I wanted to see if we could make it work. If not, back to the drawing board!

Thanks, and look forward to getting one of these beauties. My wife just graduated and I am finishing up school in July....first trip is to go up the PCH and celebrate 100,000 in college loans!!!
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

Your best bet is to find out what the manufacturer's max towing capacity and tongue weight limit for your Tahoe, and then to look at the weight and tongue weight of the trailer. The 70's era trailers have a little metal plate riveted to the front of the trailer, under the front center window that shows the gross vehicle weight. I have a hunch that you are safe.

The "stabilizer" bars that you mention are likely to be weight distribution bars. These help transfer some of the tongue weight of the trailer to the front axle of the tow vehicle, and they typically have sway control built into these hitches as well. This will give you a safer towing experience, but won't change the capacity of your tow vehicle.

Of equal importance to what you cant pull, is what you can stop. The trailer is outfitted with electric trailer brakes. You will want to make sure your tow vehicle is set up with a brake controller and that the electric brakes are working.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote