Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to dpope
Unhappy Tail Lights Stopped Working

The left blinker/brake/backup lights no longer work...

The running lights and right blinker/brake lights are good.

I've already checked the obvious:
Bulbs are good. (checked with a Meter)
Truck output is good.

I measured the continuity between ground and the left turn pin on the 7way connector and it shows OPEN.

Next, I measured the continuity where the cable harness is located under the dinette to the 7-way connector and it shows good.

Something has gone wrong between the dinette and the shower.

Gosh I hope they don't have to tear things up to fix it...

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 04-01-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I assume you have a warranty on your '03 model? Unless you are really bored and good at 12v wiring take it in and let Airstream fix it. Sounds like you have a bad ground connection somewhere which can be a real bugger to chase down.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 03:34 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Loose connector???

Based on my 2003 International wiring diagram, there is a connector (6-pin on mine, but I don't have backup lights) that connects the body harness to the tail-light harness. The wires for the right and left side lights are on opposite ends of the connector. If this connector becoms partially unseated, this could very well explain your problem.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with Chas, most problems are ground issues. Not to say other things can't pop up, but my exp has been that most if not all issues have been ground related since the system works on a 12v neg ground.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I agree check the grounds. Put your meeter on Volts and check for power at the socket and at the plug at the front for power on that circuit. Really it would be best to use a Test light for checking this. A meter can read 12v at a 10th of an amp and mis lead you that you have good power. A test light will put a little load to the circuit and take care of a phantom/standing voltage that might be present.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Thanks everyone for your replys...

There is definitely an open on the supply side (RED Wire/Left Turn)... Somewhere between the Light and the dinette area. I re-tested the grounding and everything checks out. 0 ohms from the 7-Way Connector in the front all the way back to the acutal light.

Oh-Well: My wife called the service center. We are scheduled for Thursday. Thank goodness it is still under warranty.

There are a few other minor things I'm gonna have them fix while its in. Fantastic Fan occassionaly works, caulking around some of the windows missing, etc...
Old 04-02-2003, 11:36 AM   #7
Contributing Member

Connector

I'm still betting on the connector that I mentioned based on your metering and the arrangement of the wires in the connector.

Let us know what they find.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-05-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

, Texas
Pahaska,

You were right. The 6-pin connector was not fully seated. The bad thing is that it was not where Airstream said it was. Airstream said it was under ther refrig. Come to find out it was under the shower. What a PITA (acording the service rep)!!! The service rep was very disapointed in the lack of quality control throughout the unit. Caulking was poorly applied. Screws were broken off in places.
I guess the old saying, "you get what you pay for" is not always true.

I'm happy that it is fixed so we can finally enjoy it....

Thanks everyone for your help..

dpope
Old 04-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #9
Contributing Member

Not surprised

Quote:
The bad thing is that it was not where Airstream said it was. Airstream said it was under the refrig. Come to find out it was under the shower.
I have found a number of discrepancies in my wiring diagrams vs the actual wiring in the trailer, the worst being the wiring for the Fantastic Fans.

When I removed the Lazy Susan pantry, I found two unattached 6-pin connectors on the body harness. According to the diagrams, they were to carry the Fantastic Fan connections from the wall thermostats to the fans. My diagrams showed matching connectors on the ceiling harness, but there were none. Apparently, the wires were routed directly to the fans before the inner skin was installed.

There are also a bedroom AC outlet and a bedroom TV coax connection on the diagrams that aren't present in the trailer although they are in the diagrams and the manual.

I feel for the tech trying to do anything under the bathroom. When I had my flood, I found that area almost impossible to reach.
WBCCI #9632