Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2003, 08:41 AM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Talking New Airstream - New Question

Picked up the new 2003 Safari SS last weekend. Have managed to see it every day except one - it is in a storage yard about 5 miles from my home! It is well above my expectations. The interior is fabulous (Stratus cloth with Pergo flooring!)

Now the fun starts where to put everything. Not that we don't have lots of storage, but where to put things where they are going to be the most accessable.

My better half has come up with an interesting question, though and I hope you experienced streamers can help. Where do you put the garbage can? Can't put it under the sink as there are shelves and drawers there.

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated. I am sure I am going to have more questions as we experience life in the Airstream and look forward to your help as always.

Malcolm
WBCCI 12532
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Good question!,

I ended up using one of those little R2D2 foot operated pop-top cans in my Overlander. Takes up a little floorspace but I got plenty! Mine is white but you can get them in chrome or s.s. I always used the wire hangers on the inside of a cabinet doors on my previous "white boxes", you know the ones that let you use the plastic grocery bags for trash? They don't work well on A/S's, mine anyway, I dont have any standard cabinet doors, just tambour.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:04 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Can

I have a small swing-top can that sits on the counter (the AS has loads of counter space). During travel, it rides on its back in one side of the sink.

It is small, but it generally holds a full day of trash. I can use either plastic grocery bags or small trash bags, whichever is convenient.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This was a problem for us too, we ended up with a small plastic bucket that sits on the upper under sink shelf, fits a plastic grocery bag inside.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:37 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
We use a small flip top plastic can that sits right behind the dinette on the lounge side. We used to have it next to the door near the lounge on the curbside, but ended up putting a wicker basket for shoes in that spot.

We also added a small, three drawer wicker chest on the roadside that is small enough that the lounge can still be converted to a bed without hitting it. Great for books, but I believe the newer units like yours now have a credenza and flip-up table there.
Jace
Old 05-03-2003, 04:22 AM   #6
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks for all the great tips. Any and all hints/tips will be greatly appreciated!

I'll be spending the better part of the day with my new baby, sorting things out, and will try out the different suggestions.

Jacebeck - just to let you know we deleted the flip up table (kind of useless in our opinion) and had Can-Am build a triangular TV shelf with a VCR/DVD shelf below. It fastens to the back of the dinette and the street side wall. Sofa can still convert to a bed, and we can how watch TV in comfort from the sofa

Malcolm
WBCCI 12532
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 04:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Flash

wicker trash basket

After much discussion, we ended up putting ours by the door with a plastic 'Wal-Mart' bag in it.

This way, you never forget to empty the trashcan each day. Moreover, during the day when returning from 'comfort station' runs. The flip-flops are stored there. In addition, I picked up an el cheapo 1$ stiff brush from Dollar General, there as well, to brush the door area, steps and bottom of shoes clean.

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We sit our trash can on the streetside just to the left of the same side front window and against the cabinet that has the tall slide out shelf. We put a Walmart or like bag in a small dark brown plastic can and empty it daily. With 27' Safari we may have a little more room to work with.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote