Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
Help! Stranded in Gettysburg

Hello All,

I picked up my new-to-me 2003 Safari in Lebanon, PA over a week ago, from a private owner, and came here to Gettysburg to shake her down a bit. I put water in the fresh water tank yesterday, after draining out the antifreeze, and water is dripping/running out of the black outer case of the fresh water tank. I've read the threads here about the two brass and one white plastic petcock on the curbside of the unit and used those to drain the tank and lines. Now I can't put water into the tank without the dripping. It is coming from two uniform holes about the size of a pencil eraser and not from a split in the outer case, I have no way of knowing where it is coming from on the actual tank itself. I've spoken and texted the service manager at the Airstream dealer back home in Arizona and, so far, he hasn't been able to tell me if there is a different valve I need to turn off or not. Is there some type of overflow system into the other case? Is there a valve to turn off that I am missing?

I'm also trying to get an estimate from the service guy about repairing a dent the prior owner put in the front of the trailer while he was moving it last week. I really would like to figure out the problem with the tank, get an estimate on the repair and present it to the last owner before I escape from here. Does anyone have any ideas about the tank problem?

Patricia720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Colonial Airstream (which in my opinion has the best Airstream techs and can do anything the factory boys\gals can do) is 3 hours East. They can perform repairs up to panel replacements, etc. I know they are quite busy but maybe emergency service can be had?

The Airstream factory is about 6-8 hours west of you (can't quite remember).
When I drove from DC area back to San Diego via Colorado 4 years ago - I stopped at the Airstream factory for a quick visit on the way to Chicago for an overnight visit.

There is a place here in Maryland – and the person is on the forums, anyone remember him as that might just be about 2 hours.

Don’t visit that RV place in Gettysburg or south of Gettysburg in Thurmont. Both I’m sure do great work, but don’t have the Airstream experience you would want…

Good Luck

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Patricia,

Did you fill the tank at the fill behind the door curbside, until water came out the vent hole?

Ours will drip 'til the level in the hose reaches the tank, couple hours...drip drip

Does the bottom of your tank look like this?

I don't see the holes you mentioned.

The panel with the phillips head screws comes off to access the brass drain plug in the tank.

Bob

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Air Stream of Western PA is located West of Gettysburg, below is their info. I have not used the service department yet, but we did purchase our 2012 AS there. Hope this can help.

STORE HOURSMonday9:00AM - 6:00PMTuesday10:00AM - 8:00PMWednesday9:00AM - 6:00PMThursday10:00AM - 8:00PMFriday9:00AM - 6:00PMSaturday9:AM - 5:00PMSundayClosed
Airstream of Western PA
627 US 119 Greensburg PA 15601
Phone: 724-836-4444 Toll Free Phone: 866-925-5928

Click on the map image above for an interactive map and driving directions to our location
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I wonder if the PO removed the two low-point drains (since you mentioned that there are two eraser-sized holes that the water is coming out of).

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Patricia - If unable to locate & fix yourself locally, I suggest you contact Frank Yensan, Franks Trailer Works, Baltimore, Maryland.
email is frankyensan@verizon.net
phone is 443-690-0116

Frank is a recognized Airstream repair / renovate / refurbish expert, very well thought of. Good luck. Pls. keep us all posted.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
One thing that happens frequently enough to be a PIA is that the fill tube gets a small crack or pinhole in it. It's cheap plastic and not too expensive or difficult to replace... but if it drips until the level goes down to the top of the tank and the tank remains full... there's your problem. I've never needed to remove one and replace it but I'll try the search function and update this post or post again if I find something easy to follow.

(other smarter people feel free to beat me to the punch!)

Paula

here's another possible reason - loose bung plug
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...k-82534-2.html
Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Anyone know the link to the brass valve replacement?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The black box in which the fresh water tank rests may have one or two weep holes in the bottom to drain any overflow. There should be an access plate inboard from the fresh water tank drain under the tank. Remove it and see if the pipes in there are secured properly. You may also find some trash in there as Airstream factory workers think Airstreams are trash cans to get rid of stuff in hidden places. Of course, the fill system may be leaking as state above.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
Thumbs up This forum rocks...

Thanks EVERYONE for the help. I am feeling much more confident that the leak is coming from the holes made when some type of overflow valve was removed from the outer tank. I am headed back under the trailer today to see if I can't find an access panel to better investigate whether the water is coming from a leak in a line, tank, input pipe or simply overflow. If I can find it and fix it easily I will but if I can't, at least I will have some good ideas and basic background information and referrals to problem solve with a pro. There's no community like the RV community!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami , Florida
Just an FYI follow-up here. It ended up that it was only overflow. I filled the tank and used it all the way back home to Prescott, AZ and it fills and works fine. If I space out and let it overflow it drips into the outer tank and then drips out the holes. Eric at Desert AutoPlex in Phoenix looked at it when I had the Safari down there for some updates and he agrees that is what is happening. None-the-less, everyone's posts gave me the info I needed to just get on with it. I do appreciate the help.