Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
I want to use wine corks as a backsplash

I need a place to put my extensive "collection" of used wine corks. I have seen them used as a bar back and backsplash in a stick home. Any advice on what to use on the interior of my 2000 Safari backsplash? I know hot glue will not work since hot glue comes loose in a house that doesn't move. I don't imagine it would stand up to the shake, rattle, and roll of the road. If stick on tiles work what kind of glue is it? Any experience among the learned herd?
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Gorilla glue?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What is the existing backsplash material? Are you planning on lying the corks down, or standing them up? Lying down will decrease the counter space quite a bit IMO.

I would put a dab of clear silicon on each one, I think . . . need to know the intended orientation/location etc. first though.

"learned herd" ? Not sure I herd you right!

Peter

PS -- Also the new backsplash may be difficult to keep clean, especially if splashes from the sink can hit it and get trapped in the voids. [IMO FWIW]
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
What is the existing backsplash material? Are you planning on lying the corks down, or standing them up? Lying down will decrease the counter space quite a bit IMO.

I would put a dab of clear silicon on each one, I think . . . need to know the intended orientation/location etc. first though.

"learned herd" ? Not sure I herd you right!

Peter
The wall is standard AS interior. The corks would be lying down probably cut in half, longways. I considered silicon and the above-mentioned gorilla glue but I was hoping to get some real-life experience. I also considered polyurethane and sealing them in...again an idea that has probably been done before. I've recently read that even some of the stick on tiles come off. I know the double-stick tape that the PO used to hold down the flooring is failing,
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Google is your friend...

I just googled Wine Cork Backsplash DIY and there’s a ton of hits. One used 1/4” plywood as a backing - it would bend to conform to the Airstream wall so you glue the corks to the plywood. Makes it easy to remove in the future if you change your mind.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wine...&client=safari
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
The wall is standard AS interior.

. . .
So is that brushed aluminum or maybe stainless steel? And is the location at the counter where the sink is?

The devil is in the details IMO. If the corks are all sitting on the counter, and the backsplash is metal, then silicon is the option I would pick. You only need a dab on the end of each one at the wall -- like the size of a grape, but don't push the cork hard against the wall -- let the silicon keep somewhat of a solid shape. Unlike the other adhesives, silicon will remain somewhat flexible, and therefor removable later [cork-by-cork] if needed IMO.

The recent suggestion to use a plywood backer is good too, but that will bring problems of its own.

Peter

PS -- Caution -- Some silicon can interact with aluminum and cause damage [acetic acid based ones]. Thus it is specifically not recommended for exterior caulking on Airstreams, unless you are very sure of what you are doing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sili...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I realize a backsplash is a very personal sort of thing. One point that would give me pause is cleaning the beast. The kitchen area is *very* compact. grease, soap, "stuff" will wind up on the backsplash. Cleaning it could be pretty exciting. Even with some sort of urethane on it, it still could be exciting.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:11 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Be sure to drink the wine first...could be a really fun project!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Well pop my cork! sounds like a nifty idea - have fun and provide pictures of the project so we can all learn
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Fyi. Used corks attract ants and other critters. Think of that when in storage. It may look great but it will be an attraction for insects and rodents.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Resale value

I once made the mistake of mounting my collection of wooden spoons on the wall of my house kitchen. When we sold the house, I was required to remove all of the mounts. It was a lot of work and I had to repaint the wall. A backsplash is a pretty personal choice. I would required that the backsplash be removed to consider buying your Airstream.

And as someone mentioned, a backsplash like that is likely to hold a lot of dirt and kitchen splashes.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbubbaca View Post
I need a place to put my extensive "collection" of used wine corks. I have seen them used as a bar back and backsplash in a stick home. Any advice on what to use on the interior of my 2000 Safari backsplash? I know hot glue will not work since hot glue comes loose in a house that doesn't move. I don't imagine it would stand up to the shake, rattle, and roll of the road. If stick on tiles work what kind of glue is it? Any experience among the learned herd?
We have used a silicone-like product called “Goop” for all manner of adhesive projects, including re-attaching a piece of broken limestone on an outdoor pizza oven.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I realize a backsplash is a very personal sort of thing. One point that would give me pause is cleaning the beast. The kitchen area is *very* compact. grease, soap, "stuff" will wind up on the backsplash. Cleaning it could be pretty exciting. Even with some sort of urethane on it, it still could be exciting.

Bob
It might look nifty but I’m with Bob. Seems like a poor choice for a surface you’d have to clean frequently.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Get a thin plexiglass glue to that. Then attach to wall with removable command strips. Then it can be removed when you need to clean it. Remove and take outside wash and drip dry, and remount to wall.
C Gin Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I would use aluminum flashing cut to size then VHB 3M tape it to the wall. Now has the curve, silicone the corks to the flashing. It could then be removed. I absolutely would not silicon directly to the wall. You cannot get it off by any method I know about.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
I think the idea is a great one. Add visual interest and texture to the backsplash area of your airstream. As a crafty person with a little experience with cork in crafting, I would definitely put the cork on a surface and then attach to the wall area. Wine corks can detach from smooth surfaces with the wrong adhesion product. If your cork area needs serious cleaning or you tire of the look, a detachable base piece will be an advantage. Would love to see how this turns out.
Good luck,
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #17
Old dog new tricks

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Banner elk , North Carolina
Great idea wrong place??

I do not know the layout of your AS but would you consider a different locale for the wall mounted corks? I think you will find that the backsplash needs to be wiped down a lot for grease and general yuck. But the refrigerator door (easily replaced as a slide out panel) or one of the cabinet fronts would be a cool, textural addition and keep the collection growing (even be sound dampening if things get crazy &#129322. I have not glued directly to the interior (use double sided tape or command strips for all my art additions) so would tend to take same tack unless doing the refrigerator. Netting is available for mosaic projects, give it a try.
POST THE FINAL pics!
Flying Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Do not use gorilla glue

I keep seeing people on this site talking about using Gorilla Glue. Belbein's First Rule of Glues: ***NEVER EVER USE GORILLA GLUE FOR ANYTHING.*** It's not really that good a glue, it foams and expands when you apply it, and it's a bitz to clean up. And if you have to remove it--and whenever you apply glue, you're eventually going to have to remove it--it's impossible without a blow torch.

I'd suggest this, if you insist on wine corks. Coat the to-be-glued-side of the corks with something impermeable: anything from epoxy to white glue. When it dries and only when it dries, THEN glue the corks on to whatever the backing you're going to use.

Wine corks would look cool, I agree. But to attach them to the structure? [Shudder] I personally wouldn't. I have an irrational fear of attaching anything to any of the original surfaces, in part because I know whatever I like today I'm going to hate in 3 months.

I like the idea of making them a hanging or a piece of wall art. (In fact, if you have one of the ASs that's big enough to have a privacy curtain, I think they'd be an awesomely cool privacy curtain. I might even do that. [I wonder if screw tops would be as awesome?])
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
Bluffton , South Carolina
Agree with the above comments

cool idea, not sure about permanent attachment.

I would suggest 1/4" bendable - flexible plywood as the backer. The grain in each ply is oriented in the same direction allowing it to bend. Typical plywood has the grain in each ply oriented in opposing direction, providing its strength.

Should be a fun project.

https://www.columbiaforestproducts.c...nding-plywood/
WillZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We did a cork backsplash....wrong on a couple of levels. We mounted them with gorilla glue on a thin, flexible board and just used command hooks to hold the top edge in place...and all that was just fine and it looked good.

Then we cooked near the backsplash. So, in short order there was oil and grease and smells associated with the corks (bacon, garlic, fish). And following the greasy stuff we had dust and dirt as well. Since the cork surface isn't smooth, it can't be easily cleaned so you are stuck with an icky sticky backsplash. Only choice at that point was to cover it with a smooth washable surface (my friend did that) or...

So, down it came. We did change it up to become a hot mat. The corks keep the heat from table or counter and the hot mat can be put away when not in use so they don't get dirty. Corks also make a great backing for a dart board...no more holes in the wall when someone misses.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote