Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1975-1976 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
what is the bumper to hitch length

Hi yall,
I'm new to the forum to help me decide on wich one of these to buy, so I have a couple of stupid questions up my sleave
At the moment, I'm looking at a "75 Excella 500 31'
Is 31' the length of the vessel or the length of the whole Shananay from bumper to hitch?
It might sound like I'm picking nits, but I have a 34.5' driveway, so that extra toung length comes into play.

Also does anyone have links to a photo of the frame modificaions they did to keep the back end from drooping?
I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for when I do a visual inspection of this thing.

Thanks,
Dave.
volvophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Dave, welcome to the forums.
Trailer length is measured from tip of tongue to end of bumper, or overall length. A 31' coach will be 31' total, with about 28' being the trailer.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvophile
Hi yall,
I'm new to the forum to help me decide on wich one of these to buy, so I have a couple of stupid questions up my sleave
At the moment, I'm looking at a "75 Excella 500 31'
Is 31' the length of the vessel or the length of the whole Shananay from bumper to hitch?
It might sound like I'm picking nits, but I have a 34.5' driveway, so that extra toung length comes into play.

Also does anyone have links to a photo of the frame modificaions they did to keep the back end from drooping?
I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for when I do a visual inspection of this thing.

Thanks,
Dave.
DAve,

Airstreams are measured from bumper to balll. Therefore the total length of the Excella is 31'. However, having said that the length is even feet and can be from just over 30' to just under 32'.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If it a rear bath you could have a problem. Mid bath not as much a problem. The frame modification is a reinforcing plate bolted to the web that hangs down between the wheels. I think yoou can still buy one from Airstream or make one yourself. The modification to the back is two bolts that install between the c channel on the bottom of the body and the frame. To due it the Airstream way you need to cut away the outside or inside of the body to get at the c channel and then drill thru c channel and frame and install bolts with a c-channel stress spreading washer like piece. This causes the body to take some of the load off the frame. The frame is holding up the rear mounted gray and black water tanks and they (when filled) are the major cause of overloading and bending the frame between the axles when the trailer goes over a signifigant bump or hole. Dynamic stress can be two to three times the static stress. A faster way is to drill thru the bottom frame or the rear acces door, c channel and frame member below it. Then install the stress spreading 4" by 1" "washer" in the bottom channel of the door and bolt thru it to the steel cross member below it. This usually overloads the door frame leading to distortion and other possible damage but it is a quick fix. I have also seem people install rods all the way from the back window frame all the way down inside the wall to the frame. There is a link somewhere on this forum to the tech service bulletin from Airstream.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:02 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet

Volvophile,

Try this link for a start on the separation:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...end+seperation

Then try an advanced search.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Understand that Airstream over the years has not always stated the true length of a trailer in the model description. For example I have a 30' Classic Slide out. Actual length? The same as the 31' Classic. Just slightly shy of 31'.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote