Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Full Timers

1975 31' Excella 500
Boise , Idaho
Question Electrical issues

I am having some electrical issues. I am a full timer and I am plugged into city power. My issue is with a potential short.

The problem is with the circuit that runs my furnace, oven hood, and control panel. When ever I put a fuse into the fuse panel it blows out as soon as it touches the prongs. Last month I discovered that when I open the vent in the bedroom, which makes the fan come on, the furnace blower kicked on at the same time. I trialed this two times and it happened both times, so i am pretty sure that there is a short somewhere.

So where do I go from here?
PotatoPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Time to get out the book and a DVM. You clearly have a dead short somewhere; my approach would be to try to split the possibilities in half and repeat until you've identified the culprit. Do this by unplugging loads or removing their fuses. Of course it could be a short in the wiring somewhere too. Maybe try disconnecting from shore power and see if that changes anything.

This is where I get irritated all over again that AS does not make wiring diagrams available.

Good luck!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you can. Disconnect the wires at each of the blowers/fans. Then reinstall the fuse. If it still blows, you may have a short in the wiring.
The puzzling part to me is why the furnace blower comes on when you open the vent. Do you have an on/off switch for the ceiling fan? Where the fan won't run even with the vent open. If so, turn it off and see what happens.
Normally the wiring to power these devices is just the positive side of the circuit.
Typically the furnace has power to it and a 2 wire circuit for the thermostat. Do you know if any of the wiring was changed by a PO?
The vent fan above the stove should have an on/off switch as well. What happens when you leave it off?
Putting three motors on the same circuit doesn't sound like good design to me. But I guess it is possible.
What size is the fuse that blows?
I would think it would be at least 20 amp.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote