Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2003, 03:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Depart from Color Scheme

Did we MESS UP ???

Well. This is my first ever post. New member of Vintage A/S group and WBCCI.

Did we mess up, by totally redecorating the inside to a hunting cabin look? Re-upholstered couches to camo, and the bedding, and then vintage wallpaper of hunting scenes; gun racks and decor to match. The outside is camo below mid rail, and painted the mid rail to sage green. Did we ruin the value? More importantly, will we be ostracized at our first rally in May?

We're full timers, with 4 bird dogs, pullin' with full camo diesel Excursion. Livin' in big 5th wheel at various nuke job sites.

Thanks for all the info we've learned from this site.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:46 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
got any pic's?

sounds cool!

do you have any photos? i always thought urban camo would look interesting, blue, black and white.

what type of bird dogs do you have? i have two golden retrievers (swamp collies) pets mostly, but they have been known to fetch a bird now and then.

value is what it is worth to you. if you were in a parking lot of airstreams it sounds like you would have no problem finding yours!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:12 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Red face Bird dogs and parking lots

John: So nice to see a reply so quickly? Being new, I must ask... should I reply off line, to such personal things as - what type bird dogs, etc???

Second ?: When I take a couple digital photos soon, how do I get them into this little window? Or do they post elsewhere?

German Shorthairs, and 2 hunt well, one is gun shy and the other is as special to us as a daughter would be. She is 'soft', and if she was in a parking lot full of airstreams she'd get loster than last years Easter egg. I hope never to be in that big a crowd. Montana is so big we can go for days without seeing anybody.

Capetown to Cairo: Do you know where I can start reading up on this possible re-creation of 1953? We are REAL interested. Carolyn in a stay-at-home dogmom, and could look into the roads, permits, turmoils etc. We just watched the cool DVD with the old home-movie caravans. Vincent Price is a jewel. Know anybody we can talk to about the caravan???
Old 04-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
East Texans,

As long as you didn't camo the outside you should be all right. Just don't show up wearing fatigues, eating MRE's and carrying AK's, they might think you are at the wrong rally!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Talking

Hi John......haha caught you! Yeh post a photo so we can see this creation of yours. JJ
Rubyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
John..try hitting the little photo icon under one of your posts.Thats how we posted a couple of pictures of our A/S.You can put a gallery of pictures on so everyone can see your "camo-rig".Hurry up John we are dying to see this. Still in MO.Will be for several years it appears.Just off I-70 a skip and jump so if you are motoring by,drop in. JJ and Deb
Old 04-29-2003, 08:51 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Whoa. JJ, is that YOU??? THE JJ of nuclear whoredom? And Deb is with you too?? What a coincidence ! !! ! I love this small world of ours.

What other Airstream secrets can you give us? More cool sites to subscribe to? I know I won't see you guys at a rally soon, BUT, we WILL stop to see you ! ! ! HOORAY. You bald headed little wheat rat. Release date here is May 16th, and should be coming right past you on about 20th. And it will possibly be evening so we'll spend the night??? Or is that a mobile home park you are in?

I guess tonight I'll borrow the company camera, just cause you and Miss RubySlipper so want to see a pic. I surprised myself the other day, when I first hooked up Excursion to AS for first time. To move it just a few yards, for company to use. I was SHOCKED how well the rig all looks together. What have we wrought. We get stopped SO often, just driving the camo Ex. Now it'll take us 3 weeks to get home ! ! ! Wal-Mart lot will never be the same. Our biggest fear is being ostrocized by some purists cause of the daparture from normal. Even our WBCCI numbers (1722) are CAMO! Our first get-together will be here at the Tennessee Rally on May 16th weekend at Chester Frost Park near Chattanooga. That will be the 'shakeout' cruise before we hit the 1900 mile road to MT. The park is 5 miles from Sequoyah plant, so I'll spend the evenings with a bunch of AS folks, none of whom we've met.

So glad you saw my post, JJ. Give Deb a hug and we'll compare EXCELLA's soon. Got many many questions. Talbot and dawg pack.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Yes John boy tis us.But correction..we have a Classic A/S.We have a thread on here called Winter Survival that you can go back on and read all the horrors of what we dealt with over the past winter.This is the neatest site for info.Its a real community.The RV Park we are in now is Wildwood Estates and they have overnight sites for a small fee.Email me and we will give you more particulars.Plus will catch you up on whats new with the nuke here.Dont worry about being the weird-one ...if the job market slows down you could always join the circus with that camo-rig... Later,JJ and Deb
Old 04-30-2003, 05:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Noticed

jgtalbot

I noticed that your "icon" isn't
CAMO~!~

lmao
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well some of the Purists may have a problem with it but HAY, it's yours not theirs. Looking foward to seeing a picture.

I have the itch so bad to get ours out on the road! Maybe I'll throw some tires on it and head up for the may deal in TN. The head will not be usable but the rest is still in working order. Finnaly have a tow rig for her and should have the rest of the hitch soon. Then I can see yours first hand.

Ours will be "Tabasco" inside when done. We are probably changing the name from Toaster to "Chilly Pepper" since we are going with a theme.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:27 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, it is yours....do what you like with it. I must admit it sounds really neat.

I too would love to see some pictures.

Nuke jobe sites???

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:46 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Nuclear power plants.We are contractors who travel.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:53 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That sound like a very fun job. I'd love to see the inside of one of those. We used to camp in Illinois Beach State Park by the now decommissioned or "mothballed" Zion Generating Facility. The building had an ominous hum about it all the time. We have an electrician here at work that used to do some minor work for them. He told me some real, real interesting stories.

Eric
Old 04-30-2003, 08:55 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
We used to work at Zion up until it closed.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:03 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, thanks for keeping us running up here.

I am sure you had you share of work there. A while back I was deeply interested in nuclear power when I noticed that most of the plant around here were built in the late 50's early 60's. I think one was build in the 70's or 80's.

What I found interesting, back when the NRC posted status and such (pre 9/11) that reactors do have a finite life and that most of the reactors I saw around here were either at or beyond their design life.

Understanding that it takes several, several years to build such plants, things like the closing of Zion made me wonder about how much longer they can safely run these plants without doing the major costly overhauls (that they opted not to do at Zion).

Anyway, sorry to all for being off topic, nuclear energy is really one of the things I find very interesting.

Eric
Old 04-30-2003, 09:06 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Ominous Hum ???

To Toaster: The hum is not ominous, but as clean and efficient a way to power a 'toaster' as it gets.

Silvertwinkie: I know itch. You waannnna talk hitch itch, we'll talk hitch itch. And my bud Rubyslipper knows it too. They recently got their first AS, and are stuck in MO working too hard to enjoy it.
The Tennessee rally is at a lovely park on the river, with VERY nice restrooms, so you don't need your head. And I am putting a new porcelain head in mine tonight!!!

Silvercloud: If your tongue wasn't in your cheek, I'd love to know more about all these little icons, signatures, etc. New to this sort of thing.

The Camo rig is different, alright. I appreciate the positive feedback. We dance to a different tune. Heck, all you aluminites do. I don't do computer tech very well, and will have to study this picture transfer thing. I'll get a coach.

I caulked the two narrow pieces of trim that parallel the wide blue strip. It looked like never was caulked. DID I MESS up that, too? Seems after tightening 4 feet of top strip with the black molding, where I THINK a leak was coming into bath, that I should caulk all the trim strips. And around tail lights, windows... Oh man, a daunting task.

Last question: Could we hug our buggy too often, and get alzheimers (likely an aluminum induced disorder), or would we have to lick it to injest the awful stuff???

Can't wait to meet some fellow streamers, May 16th at Chester Frost Park, near Chattanooga. Interested? Call me at 423-843-7454. John Talbot
Old 04-30-2003, 09:16 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Limited
Warsaw , Missouri
Try the airstreamphotos.com site for pics.We have 2 posted.There is a special kind of caulk they tell us to use on these puppies.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

For fun...... The Camovel

-Andrew
amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

hmm... it didnt post... trying again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camo.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	2028  
amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
OH MY!

Heh, heh, heh.... I couldn't stop laughing! It's so cool, and cute at the same time.... all you need is a vintage jeep to complete the set!
A+ for orginality and execution!

Which, of course, makes me wonder. Our campsite is in the forest. A zebra or tiger print would be pretty cool to our kids...... what did you use to paint it, and how did you get the pattern?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote