Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella 500 > 1975-1976 Excella 500
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #1

1988 Argosy 32
Brunswick , Georgia
1977 Excella Airstream

Hello all. My wife and I are seasoned rv'ers and have found a 1977 Excella that we looked at this past Saturday.

We were told of several things to look for, but being new to Airstreams I'm not sure of some things that I found.

A young man is now living in the unit and has been for the past year. I asked some questions and he gave me answers which I believe he answered true. I asked about the H2o heater, and he said he had never used it. I looked at it and it appeared very, very old. Also, it seemed someone had tried to make it and electric system. It had a switch and romex wiring running behind the toilet to what appeared to be the panel box. I didn't have the chance to investigate futher. Also, I've heard about axle problems. Not sure how to check those. From a visual view there appears to be no frame seperation. I turned on the A/C and it appeared to cool. Also the original refrigerator is missing and has been replaced with a residenital model.

The exterior appeared to be very clean with a small repair being done on the right rear panel by the sewer storage. Also on the ODS by the water heater, there was and empty compartment that had a piece of flanged copper tubing coming up through the floor. I don't have a clue what should be there? It had a central vacuum system mounted in the rear by the sewer valve which seemed to have never been hooked up. When removed from the bracket, you could see daylight inside below the bathroom sink where it seems a hole should be for the hoses. The hoses are also stored under one of the beds.

He's asking $7k for the unit. With all the unknowns is this risky. We are not real risk takers with todays economy!!!!!

PLEASE, any input will be WELCOMED!!!!!

Thanks
archbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The price sounds high. If you are planning to travel in this unit. You can figure another $10,000 to get it travel ready.
Axles, tires, furnace, refer, H2O heater, can total up to $5K, you would be half way to the $10K above with just these items.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
I agree with Twinkie! Run away!
Too many other nice trailers out there.
Welcome to the forums. Keep reading here.
Come on over to the Canopener in January. You can see about 80 Airstreams of all types and who knows, some may be for sale.
Regards,
Joe
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Regardless if the trailer can be a gem (straight panels a plus) add what you'd need to replace to the purchase price and then see what you could have bought for the same money. Checkout EBAY, Craigslist, Vintage Airstream Trailers and the classifieds here to see what's out there.
Happy hunting.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Try to buy something that is currently in use as a trailer. too many unknowns when they've been sitting a long time.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote