Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Lubbock , Texas
1975 Excella 500

We just got our "New" old 1975 Excella 500 about a month ago and this is a great site that I finally joined!

I am getting to know the trailer pretty well and noticed there is a doorbell button on the outside next to the door that looks original but I can't find any of the working parts or chimes. My kids REALLY want that thing to work since they call it their "PRINCESS HOTEL" Can anyone give some advice?

We have already been on one 4 day trip and have the next 6 day trip planned, these things are GREAT! Awesome family memories.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
Doorbell

I have a working doorbell, original in my 78 Excella. I have a side couch not a front couch, and my doorbell is in a white weaved plastic box inside my cabinet under my table. Another description is that it is about a foot away from my 12Volt fuse panel box in the very front so yours might be close to the fuse box. It has a fuse in it and that could be blown, mine sounds like it is 30 years old though, not a crisp sound at all.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Lubbock , Texas
Doorbell

Thanks for letting me know, I found it and with a little cleaning is working great.

This is a great forum!
Old 07-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Streamer Jabe

1978 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
interesting

now you've got me curious if I can get mine sounding better. what did you clean? mine looks clean but I don't really know what I'm looking at.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
JZiegner,
Welcome .
Is your Excella a rear bath? Twin or Double bed?
Does it have a Dishmaster (washing wand device in galley sink)?
Does it have an onboard generator?
Does the built in vacuum work? Any bags still in tact?
Did you buy it from another forum member?
Did you get a Service Manual? Owners Manual?
Any chance there was a original "window sticker" or any brochures that came along with it?
Does it have red numerals on the front top? (WBCCI numbers).

Thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabreyd13 View Post
now you've got me curious if I can get mine sounding better. what did you clean? mine looks clean but I don't really know what I'm looking at.
There's not much you can do with the door bell chimes.

It really is a household 24 volt AC, chime, that sort of works on 12 volt DC.

Should the door bell push button stick, a continuous supply of 12 volts DC to the chimes, will cause it to litterly, melt down.

Keeping the door bell push buttom heavily lubed with silicone spray, minimizes that issue.

Since you just got the, new to you Airstream, make sure the trailer is weatherproof.

Check all the exterior gaskets, as well as the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, which in themselves, only last 2 to 3 years.

Other projects can then be spaced out, depending on your repair time available, and funds.

Welcome to Airstreaming.

Andy
Old 07-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Lubbock , Texas
General Reply

Our Excella is a rear bath with twin beds and the "L" shaped front couches.

It does not have the dishmaster, but does have the Nutone appliance center and it still has all the hardware (blender, knife sharperner, mixer).

It also has the built in Intervac system that works great but I don't have any of the hoses, attachments or bags. Any help on sources for these items would be great.

It does not have a built in generator but all other appliances.

We aquired this trailer by asking some long time "Airsreamer's" and they put me in touch with the 2nd owner that we bought this trailer from. It was bought in Abilene, Texas originally and then the owners moved to Lubbock and it has been here since. We are the 3rd owners and both the original and previous owners have always owned Airstreams and knew each other for over 40 years. With this kind of background we also got all original papers, owners certificate that was filled out with the specific trailer weights for this trailer, owners manuals on everything (trailer, AC, oven, stove, frig, etc.), all service records since it was new, any other pertanent information.

The people sold it due to age and health issues that basically will keep them from traveling much anymore.

Also, it does have the Wally Byam stickers and the red numbers are 2629 and still in excellent shape.

The only thing I really need to look at replacing is some of the belt/rib line rubber. The bottom is great, just the smaller upper is weathered and cracked some. I don't really know if the upper is called the rib or belt???

We even got all 8 etched "Airstream" drinking glasses and the two original outside lawn chairs that match the Zip Dee awnings. I think we came across a great find.

Thanks again for all the help and information!