Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Would you buy another AS?
Yes 115 92.00%
No 10 8.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Where are the NO Responses

I notice that all of the comments added to this thread are of the "YES" variety. I would like to hear what the 5 (so far) "NOs" have to say - why wouldn't you buy another one. Unless as some of the comments say, they don't plan on buying another RV ever.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
We bought our first and only Airstream (2001 Safari 25SS) last Fall. Even being a seven year old entry-level Airstream model it still cost us about 50% more than a BRAND NEW white box trailer that we could have purchased with new appliances, slides and all the latest amenities.

Even though the appliances in our Safari are starting showing their age, and it's been back to the dealer several times for minor issues, we couldn't be happier (well, unless it was new 27 FB Classic, which we'll buy right after we win the lotto!)

Bottom line: No regrets here. But keep in mind we lean towards the simple side of camping/RV'ing. Buying a 5'er or a 35 foot TT with three slides is the last thing we would want -- which is why most folks will never own an Airstream. It's not necessarily the money, they just want biggest and the latest.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Shoot yeah. We are on our third. This is our keeper and I am wanting a second for a "spare"
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Of course I would if my needs changed and I needed a different trailer. But you are asking the question on a site that is devoted to Airstream aficionados, so don't expect too many "no" answers..
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
ummm.. good guestion

Yes I would.....but will I?

Probably not, unless something drastic happens to the "Frantic Banana".
Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #26
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Airstream Poll

No, because they don't honor there warranty, "What do you expect there built by humans", and mine is junk.
Two years old and the axles are shot! Re-skin and it still leaks between the marks put on by Airstream, read "And the Fun Never Stops" ( I haven't posted on it for awhile so there is more). Approx $3000.00 in two years, haven't got the final price on axles yet.
The only time the warranty was honored Sutton replaced the water pump with the wrong pump and flooded the trailer.
If anyone replaces the 19" TV, the power supply is between the frig and the wall, boy that was fun, Thanks Lew.
Vintage maybe but not new!!

Gunny

PS: Airstream claims the axle's are 3800 lb. and the GVWR is 7000 lbs., the trailer is 7040 with Black, Gray, Fresh Water tanks and both Propane tanks full and all my gear.
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We've owned a 72 Argosy 20, a 77 Argosy 24, a '75 Argosy 22RD, a '63 Overlander, and a '74 Sovereign. If anything happens to Bertha, we'll buy another Airstream. Like Gunny, I'm concerned about some of the issues with the brand-new units, so if we got another one, it would probably be a several-years-old coach.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Until Airstream gets the manufacturing problems squared away that are causing the filiform corrosion - and makes some arrangements to take care of current owners who have this problem - I would not even consider buying another. And that's too bad since they have a new floor plan I like in the 23' Safari/Flying Cloud.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I would not own anything else. Why change a good thing.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #30

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Is this some kind of joke? My water heater leaks, the floor has soft spots, the AC sounds like a freight train, awning needs replacement. Darn right I would buy another one I love it!

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Is this some kind of joke? My water heater leaks, the floor has soft spots, the AC sounds like a freight train, awning needs replacement. Darn right I would buy another one I love it!
It never ends, eh? It amazes me how many don't know or forget about the 'M' (maintenance) word. Just be glad it's not an SOB!!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I know that in most cases, no one build "crap" any more. For example, there is not one car that does not have a life expectancy of 100+ thousand miles. And when is the last time you had to adjust the fine tuning on your tuning knob to get a clearer picture on your tv?
Modern RVs are much more complex than anything we had as recently as 1970, and I would expect the price of complexity and convenience to be more "glitches". How many of us have a circuit board running their fridge? Our water heater? I expect these things to go South with appalling frequency, and they don't. What I don't expect is the aluminum skin to disintegrate around me while camping, as it is something that has been done, and done well, for decades. Many (most?) of you are too young to remember in the late 1960's and early to mid 1970's, when most automobile manufacturers got runs of bad steel (too little carbon content), and nearly new cars would fall apart within months of being put in service. The auto manufacturers couldn't do anything overnight but complain to the steel industry. I now drive a 20+ year old truck with not one spot of rust on it, something that would have been unheard of not that long ago. A 1974 Ford LTD would crumble to a pile of rust in a few short years here in Florida, not to mention what happened in the rust belt.
I hope Airstream will enjoy the same end result, and get better aluminum for the manufacture of their trailers--soon. They can then go back to being trailers that can be expected to stay on the road for 60+ years.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southern , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
But you are asking the question on a site that is devoted to Airstream aficionados, so don't expect too many "no" answers..
Well, the results are about what I expected - 11% no, 89% yes at this point. Guess I am considering an older one now, based on what I am hearing about the new manufacturing issues (not to mention the cost).

I will start a new thread about what to look for in an 'experienced' AS.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #34
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
'05 Safari 25-I'm very happy with it. I plan on it being my last RV so while I voted "yes" I doubt I'll be buying another one. At the time of purchase I planned on a 10 year term of use.

But no horror stories here..just normal maintenance. Does trip after trip with only occasional minor fiddling or tinkering (stuff like spider webs in water heater burner tube) . Cosmetically it has held up better than the other brands my friends have --of similar age. No complaints.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureTime View Post
Well, the results are about what I expected - 11% no, 89% yes at this point. Guess I am considering an older one now, based on what I am hearing about the new manufacturing issues (not to mention the cost).

I will start a new thread about what to look for in an 'experienced' AS.

Thanks for the replies.
I posted over on your other thread. Don't make that newer vs older decision yet...I get the sense that you have more fact finding to do.

Now to the point of this thread and poll.
I have owned several SOB RVs and am now on my third A/S. Never say never, but I don't intend to go back to square again.
Been there, done that.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We love ours! Yes, there is maintenance.... but the style and design is unsurpassed! We've had square boxes... their maintenance is even higher!

Airstreams rule!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Hmmm - not quite sure how to answer this - don't see the need to think about buying another - we like the one we've got - and I doubt that is going to change!

Jay
I think a better way to ask the question would be:
Would you buy an Airstream again?

Many, like us, like the first one we bought and may not ever buy another. Don't forget, something like 80% ever built are still in use. Any other RVs in business for 75 years have that kind of record? Any other RVs been in business for 75 years?

Somebody has been doing something right..........for a very long time.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Heck No!

Hi, buy another Airstream? Absolutely not. We spent three years deciding exactly what model, size, weight, color, and interior arrangement that we wanted and that's our final decission. Not to mention the tow vehicle we chose to tow with. I don't want to up-size, I don't want to down size, I don't care about keeping up with the Jones's, And I don't care about so called super duper, fancy schmancy, Limited, exclusive, designer, or the latest and greatest and whatever sales gimmick they come up with. We are extremely happy with our decission and the only way we would ever consider buying another Airstream would be if something really bad happened to our trailer makeing it not worth repairing. [totaled] Therefore my answer is ...................YES!!!!!!!!
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
If something were to happen to my fly ass 75 Argy duece4 then for sure I'd buy me another sweet ass vintage AS. Foshizzel mynizzel.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We'll always own an Airstream(s), but won't buy another new one. What we have now really works for us. Should something happen to either of our trailers, (or not!) we would buy vintage again.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote