Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle > Stella's Kitchen
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Wine drinkers do you prefer to drink wine from a real wine glass or a plastic glass
Glass 58 93.55%
Plastic 5 8.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #41
Rivet Master

I would always use glass, but will resort to plastic in desperate times. Than again in other desperate times a paper cup will do or any metal container, even cast iron or of course, directly from the container it comes in. Drinking wine through a straw is a little on the tacky side, but whatever conveyance it takes it must be done.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:31 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I kind of thought a good compromise would be stainless steel. Here is one set I found.

http://www.organize-everything.com/enststwiglse.html
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
We carrying an assortment of wine glasses. Some have broken and we learned to wrap them better. I have two friend who have padded cases they carry their glasses in for tastings. Glass for cocktails and beer as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fingerlakes.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	18008  
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Thumbs down From what planet are Airstreamers?

Referring to davydd's weblink:
Quote:
Keeps wine chilled longer than glass or crystal stemware.
-- Maybe if you drink Ripple!!!

I think the answer to this and the other thread started by our Missions (non-Airstream?) potential investor is that this'd be a tough way to come out on the plus side. My opinion is that those that use glass already have a ready answer. A single product probably wouldn't fit the necessary enclosure/cabinet spaces, as each Airstream year & model tends to be somewhat different. If we truly needed a product like this, it'd be difficult to place on the shelves in an RV/Airstream supplier given the ease of multiple-sized plastic boxes at Target, etc. Even for SOBs -- "How do you protect your longnecks?" The proposition you've heard sounds like all too many venture capital schemes I was invited to 20-25 years ago. Beware!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #45
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
.... I was taught by wine snobs that once you open the bottle you should finish it off and those boxes are just a bit much for one sitting...

Concerning finishing off an open bottle of wine from the above quote...
While working in Alaska in the 60’s, one of my co-workers always threw away the cap after unsealing a bottle of booze saying: “We’re not going to need that again.”
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:18 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
The American way of thinking is that stemmed wine glasses are the only thing to use for wine. In Europe, wine is commonly consumed in a stemless glass. There is a French made glass called Picardie that is very difficult to break. The first time I saw one was in the 1980s when someone was demonstrating that you could pound a nail with one and it wouldn't break. (I wouldn't try that though.) That's what we'll be using in our trailer. They are available at Williams Sonoma and Sur Le Table - both online and in their stores. Crate and Barrel is currently offering a stemless European style glass - but it's not as break resistant as the Picardie.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:06 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Um, why is poll necessary? If you're not drinking wine from glass, well, why not???? Don't give me that "Glass breaks!" foo foo. Wrap them in towels, like we do, haven't broken a one in two years. Just don't bring your Riedels.
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Actually, box wine quality is vastly improving. Still not my first or second choices, but some of the newer brands are Not Bad (tm). Since the bags collapse, they generally don't let air in and the wine will stay fresher longer. And you don't need to finish a bottle the same day either. Just cork it and put it in the fridge. Drink within 24 hours. Allow the reds to warm up a tidge and they'll be fine.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
.... I was taught by wine snobs that once you open the bottle you should finish it off and those boxes are just a bit much for one sitting...

Concerning finishing off an open bottle of wine from the above quote...
While working in Alaska in the 60’s, one of my co-workers always threw away the cap after unsealing a bottle of booze saying: “We’re not going to need that again.”
Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Two-Buck Chuck

Our daily happy hour invariably includes a glass or two of Two-Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw from Trader Joe's, but apparently Three-Buck Chuck in other states) Cabernet. We thought we'd opt for plastic or glass tumblers in the AS until we found seemingly bullet-proof wine glasses at a Corningware outlet store.

Inexpensive wine in unfancy glass everyday. A great way to kick back and enjoy life.

Not that we don't enjoy the fancy stuff in glasses so thin I'm almost afraid to drink from them. We live an hour from most of the best wine-growing areas in California: Napa, Sonoma, Dry Creek, etc. Nonetheless, Two-Buck Chuck is hard to beat for everyday medicinal consumption.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Glass - but stemless...

We use Riedel stemless wine tumblers. They are actually crystal, so we pack them into our "china keeper" (round padded container with dividers).

Being stemless, they have a disadvantage of heat transfer from hands, but, they do have the appropriate sizes and shapes, depending on the wine for appropriate breathing, aroma, and veins.

http://www.riedel.com/website/englis...l/oriedel.html
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"Ah, Georgia, but if one always contemplates the necessity for having quality wines nearby, one should contemplate vacationing in the many and varied climes offered by Napa, Sonoma, and Lake Counties in CA.. ."

Ah, Roger, you are so right! We've been there and we're goin' again. And also to be considered. . . all those small or growing Mo River valley wineries here in Missouri (Norton is tasty!) and wineries on the peninsula of Traverse Bay and. . . don't forget Oregon's or Washington's wines! This thread is fun--makes me want summer and road tripping/tastings again. So many places to go; so many wines to discover, however we pour them to drink!~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
We use Riedel stemless wine tumblers....
The Reidel stemless look really nice but I have trouble holding the larger ones - particularly after my second glass!!!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
The Reidel stemless look really nice but I have trouble holding the larger ones - particularly after my second glass!!!
I understand and empathize completly... I think at that point, it is best to use a larger object to hold - preferably the bottle itself! This also brings a side benefit - it is less distance for your hand to rise to get to the mouth... the bottle's height gets you there halfway already!!

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Every state but Alaska grows wine grapes and just about every one has a "wine country." My favorite is Monterey county, CA. But, yeah, Traverse Bay is awesome, and we like the Mission Peninsula, but aim to try the other Peninsula this summer. I wrote a small blog entry about wine tasting and camping at my camping blog:

Wine country touring.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
"Ah, Georgia, but if one always contemplates the necessity for having quality wines nearby, one should contemplate vacationing in the many and varied climes offered by Napa, Sonoma, and Lake Counties in CA.. ."

Ah, Roger, you are so right! We've been there and we're goin' again. And also to be considered. . . all those small or growing Mo River valley wineries here in Missouri (Norton is tasty!) and wineries on the peninsula of Traverse Bay and. . . don't forget Oregon's or Washington's wines! This thread is fun--makes me want summer and road tripping/tastings again. So many places to go; so many wines to discover, however we pour them to drink!~G
Old 02-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Plastic in a Pinch

but I much prefer glass. To the extent that I have built a drawer especially for the wine glasses and wine opener. No snob here!

Alas, I break my wine glasses during washing so I need a new supply.

And just to make sure I have enough wine, there is a wine cabinet under the dinette seat contructed in place of the '61 Bambi L-couch.
Attached Images

My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:29 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
We always buy one of the winery branded wine glasses at each winery we taste at. They remind us of the places we've been and if we break one, it was only $4. I intend to design and build us a padded wine glass holder and "center" for the curved wall cabinets in our coach.

John
Old 03-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #57
_

. , .
attention target shoppers

found 12/$11.99 stemmed goblets and flutes......luminarc......very nice.....

details here.....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...en-5410-5.html

vin vito veritas.....

2air'
Attached Images

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I prefer starting out with glass...but after the first couple of glasses I don't care if it's in a styrofoam cup...what the heck, just turn up the bottle!!!
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Not to be contrary, but I kinda got to thinking after reading certain posts where folks like a larger distance between the opening of the wine container and their mouths than conventional stuff that maybe wine skins might be in order? Sure would make it easier on the person who cleans their trailer floors/countertops... Might be easier to market than a wine rack...
Right on Steph... the BOTA BAG....takes me back to my college Frat days....a little Rumplemintz in the Bota for game day on a cold Indiana Fall day warms the belly.....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
True enophiles prefer crystal. There's nothing quite like the fine edge of a crystal vessel as a delivery medium for fine wine or cognac. I prefer the later. All that said we've got plastic for travel, crystal for home.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote