View Poll Results: Are the WBCCI traditional rituals needed?
Absolutely needed 17 7.56%
They could be scaled back a bit 29 12.89%
Indifferent 46 20.44%
They should be scaled back quite a bit 80 35.56%
Not needed 53 23.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Tradition. For some reason Fiddler on the Roof is running through my mind. And perhaps a 2008 updated post, what a blast from the past.
Traditions perhaps are for the enhancement of the soul rather than being the soul. Some traditions are fun, part of the fun and involvement is adopting them as your own. The problem manifests itself when other people's traditions become imposing or restrictive and impede change and establishing new traditions of one's own choosing. Hard feelings and conflicts arise. To make the club your own and fully embrace it, you must have a sense of representation and identity. Sometimes the answers have been as simplistic as "because that is the way we have always done it." That does not satisfy or suffice for many younger members joining the organization today. A move towards new considerations and priorities will unify the membership and garner far more respect for the old traditions than preserving them at all costs with little regard for changing needs and desires of current membership.

However the tradition of the name and Airstream identity is well worth preserving.

An excellent read for any member concerned with what our nominees for International office envision for the future of the club and their positions on the issues are linked here in Meet the Candidates. The question of what traditions should be preserved or eliminated is also asked of each candidate and their replies are noted for you to examine along with many other serious and perinent questions. This is a wonderful opportunity to see what the candidates believe and help facilitiate your choice in election. This tool of disclosure alone is a momentous step ahead for the WBCCI. Kudos to those that made it possible for us to have and to read.

Only Improvements Ľ Meet the Candidates

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #16
Certifiable

. , .
Without traditions, our lives would be as shaky as a ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackghost
Why Tradition?
By Jim Franklin, International 2nd Vice President
Why then Traditions? Members of the Club identify with the name ďAIRSTREAMĒ and enjoy the fellowship and camaraderie of over 8,000 fellow owners and over 16,000 total members. Caravans and Rallies have come to signify what our Club is all about and the traditions of the Club are enhanced by our uniforms and ceremonies. These symbols were adopted by the members to separate the Club from the mere mundane, casual business or travel organization. There is NO other RV Club like WBCCI. Other clubs have tried to imitate our Airstream Organization with their rallies and caravans, but they have not succeeded. Letís keep our Club and its traditions strong and vibrant.
fiddler on the roof!

I know Mr. Franklin's quote is almost 5 years old but do we still have "8,000 fellow owners and over 16,000 total members"?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
I probably should keep still but...

I don't mind tradition in its place. In the military there were social traditions like the Open Mess - but even that evolved while I was on active duty.

Other ceremonies, such as a change of command ceremony had pomp, because sometimes it really matters - occasionally peoples' lives depend on their understanding that the new CO is their new CO.

This isn't life or death, this is recreation, fairly tame recreation, family recreation. It's camping, Google, the compendium of all lazy searches eventually coughs up this definition:
A place where tents, huts, or other temporary shelters are set up, as by soldiers, nomads, or travelers.

Also: affectedly humorous qualities or style
Yeah, that's the stuff.

But talk of flag ceremonies, dinner jackets, berets, and other such apparati leaves me nonplussed, and I suspect that others searched longer and found this definition of camp:
something so outrageously artificial, affected, inappropriate, or out-of-date as to be considered amusing
Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Anyone else find it ironic that a group of people who own travel trailers with a design that has remained pretty much unchanged since the 50s are complainng about club traditions?
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Irony is rampant here. What I personally find ironic is that 5 short years ago the now Past International President of WBCCI Jim Franklin stated Airstream was the identity of the club and that other travel clubs were mundane travel organizations and we should preserve the club and traditions. He mentioned that other clubs try to copy WBCCI but could not but then in Perry our officers were eager to emulate the Mandalay Club, or the Four Winds club and open membership to all. Today the International Board of Directors still wants to wear the clothes and walk the walk however now they want to make the club open to other brands of recreational vehicles that are not Airstreams. "Let's keep our club and its traditions strong and vibrant." What happened to practicing what he was advocating such a short time ago? Now the IBT will tell you it is a club about friends and that it doesn't matter what you drive or pull that makes this club. THAT is irony for sure! It also is a misuse of power. There is far more at risk than a ticket from the fashion police or ceremonies and berets. WHICH traditions are the ones that you want to preserve? That is the question we must ask ourselves as members in WBCCI, the oldest and largest single brand and Airstream club in the world! It's all in black in white on the inside cover of your may Blue beret, Jerry Collins our international President says we have lost sight, it isn't the product at all...

Well I joined an Airstream club and met Jerry and other fine folks. I did not join WBCCI to be with Jerry and other fine folks and it just so happened that we all had Airstreams at the time. How about you?

Quote:
Why then Traditions? Members of the Club identify with the name “AIRSTREAM” and enjoy the fellowship and camaraderie of over 8,000 fellow owners and over 16,000 total members. Caravans and Rallies have come to signify what our Club is all about and the traditions of the Club are enhanced by our uniforms and ceremonies. These symbols were adopted by the members to separate the Club from the mere mundane, casual business or travel organization. There is NO other RV Club like WBCCI. Other clubs have tried to imitate our Airstream Organization with their rallies and caravans, but they have not succeeded. Let’s keep our Club and its traditions strong and vibrant.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Well said. I couldn't agree more. The WBCCI is all about tradition, and true Airstreamers buy Airstreams because of the tradition associated with them. Airstream as a company figured out quickly what happened when they tried to change from their own traditional design too much. Don't believe me? Run down to your local dealership and see if you can find 2008 version of one of those "squarestream" trailers, a 5th wheel or one of those big rebadged square motorhomes with Airstream written on it.
AIR #8891
Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
The WBCCI people are great fun to camp with. The pomp and circumstance stink worse than cheese farts. It's the Moose Lodge on wheels.
Very, very, scary stuff.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Meh, Wally said do it. Who are we to argue with him?
AIR #8891
Old 08-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think this thread says a lot about different concepts of what's important to some people and not to others (and vice versa). Maybe it parallels the culture wars. Despite uprisings against change in the culture, the traditionalists always lose in the end.

Berets, red dinner jackets? Not for me, I have my own costume featuring baseball caps from all over Canada and the US, sneakers (whoops, tennis shoes), jeans. Flag displays and such? You don't have to be young to not need those things.

As organizations age, they become institutionalized and the institution can become more important than recruiting new members with different ideas. No doubt many WBCCI members like the berets and other elements of the Club, but it appears it turns off a lot of possible members. Once the Club shrinks a lot, maybe new people will take it over and everyone will have to wear T shirts with writing on them, baseball caps, jeans, etc. (I hope not). We went to one rally as a guest and it was a very informal FCU one. But to go to others, we'd have to join the WBCCI and it just seems too formal. When I retired the suits and ties went into the back of the closet, no more uniforms for me.

For my part, what we have in common is an Airstream and a love of travel. Going beyond that limits participation in a Club. The Forum is replacing the Club I think and eventually Forum rallies will be the norm.

Gene
Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #24
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Most of the comments in this thread in the last couple of days are in the past. Lets get on with the present. Bush had been President for the last 8 years but lots of people seem to want to talk and comment about when Clinton was president. Tradition doesn't mean change all things. But holding on to those things that matter. To me one of those things is the Blue Beret. Being a younger member 49, I Know lots of members my age that are Proud to wear the Blue Beret. I love Flags and pomp but less would be good.

WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote