View Poll Results: Why Did You Choose Airstream?
Quality 162 44.02%
Style 144 39.13%
Floorplan 10 2.72%
Restoration Project 52 14.13%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Why Did You Choose Airstream?

As (hopefully) soon to be owners of an Airstream, I started wondering why all of you became Airstream owners?

For us it is a combination of quality you can't find anymore, and the ability to "make it ours" feeling you get with Airstream.

tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
All of the above!!!

For us it's a classic american icon of years gone by!

You may want to check out the previous thread What makes Airstream such a legend?

Lots of good reasons voiced there...

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
The style lends itself to quality. Form equals function. I initially purchased because obviously there are old A/S still going strong while newer RV fall apart after a few short miles. I love the fuselage aspects that lend the A/S trailer being crafted to travel. while I have a few problems with the overall level of quality it so far surpasses anything else on the road there was just no question. They just look so damn cool too.
'89 32' Excella 1000
98 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban
454 4:10
WBCCI # 1147
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Tonka Bay
More Reasons?

I chose style but I think the fact that it is an American icon is more accurate--a combination of good design, unique design, timeless design and quality--or the fact that I just tend toward iconoclastic things because most of America doesn't. I owned the first Volkswagen imported to the United States (a 1949 model, though I was the 4th owner of it), the first Macintosh computer model, the reincarnation of a 1938 model KitchenAid burr coffee grinder, and now, just this week a vintage 1971 Airstream Tradewind.

The Architectural Digest article a couple of years ago on Ralph Lauren's restored vintage Caravelle into an Adirondack cottage hideaway probably triggered my impulses this go around.
2015 Sprinter Class B Camper Van
(Former 1971 vintage Airstream Owner)
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
I chose an Airstream specifically to restore. Maybe somebody can help me with a question I am continually asked, (Wife, Mother, Sister, Brother-in-law) What is the second door in my 1963 Soverign for?, (door in a door) I am at a loss as to what it was used for. If anybody can help I would sure appreciate it. An answer might get a bunch of ingrate's off of my back, they allready want to have me committed for starting such a project.
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #6
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Originally Posted by upallnight
What is the second door in my 1963 Soverign for?[/u][/i], (door in a door) I am at a loss as to what it was used for.
There should have been a screen on the inside of the outer door that covers the opening of the inner door. This was the equivalent of a "screen door" in the pre 65 trailers.

If the screen is not there look for a frame, or holes around the edge of the opening. You can fabricate one from fiberglass screen and some flat bar aluminum if it is missing.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
One thought....they hold value once they get to a point.
I bought a 1984 in 2002....18 years old at the time. I have put tires on it and had installed a new water heater.
I figure if I ever want out of it, because of Airstream's Style, Quality, American Legend, Cult-like Following, I can probably get all of my money back, maybe more because I bought an older model that had already depreciated all it was going to....and it was in superior condition when I took possession of it. And, I maintain my stuff properly.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
Thumbs up To restore or not restore!!!!!!!!!!

Bought a '77 Argosy to replace our pop-up we had used for 9 years. We intentioned on restoring it as needed, but it actually needed very little after closer evaluation. In fact, other than replacing a bad water pump and repairing a few minor leaks, everything we have done to it so far is strictly cosmetic.
Sally replaced all the orange curtains and upholstry (yuk) with some earth tone fabrics, and next year the orange counter top goes. It's not only ugly, it is warped in a couple spots.
We did just return from an 11 day vacation in it, and it is exceeding our expectations so far, and we are glad it adopted us!!!
Ken & Sally Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
It just spoke to us

We had been researching RVs of all types with the intention of getting something a couple years down the road for "retirement". At a Kansas City RV show we just fell in love with the Airstreams on display. However, they were a little out of our price range.....well, really allot, but you get the idea. Everytime, we saw an Airstream on the road, something made our hearts beat faster. I happened to see an ad in the local paper, drove by to look, and the rest, as they say is history. It was "loved" allot by eight kids and three dogs and held together with much duct tape and silicone, but what fun we're having making it ours. Haven't named it yet, but we're leaning toward "Moby", because the thing's so big, we can't fit it in anywhere except the old hay barn.

Keep the shiny side up... Beth Ann
67 Sovereign, Double Bed, Rear Bath
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
In a word,

towing, towing, towing --

then quality....

just one vote
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
No comparison

I chose the International Airstream because I wanted a unique trailer to make every camping trip extra special. I have had it for about one year now, and I can't even imagine having anything else. For me, the international's style and my personality are like one. The reflective interior, fun colors, and non carpeted floors are a dream come true. I love to show it off to other campers. I hope to travel many miles with my new friend.
Would rather be camping!!!
andyfuson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
I chose Airstream because of the quality. Towability is definately up there, but I sell these things for a living and have seen how other companies manufacture a travel trailer. There are features of SOB's that are nice, like pass-thru and vast exterior storage, larger and multiple slides, larger interior storage, and let's not forget price, but when properly packed, much of that storage is wasted space and the Airstream is worth every penny more that you pay. The benefits of an Airstream far outweigh the negatives.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #13
Old Paint, rolling again.
1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Wink Why buy?

Originally Posted by tiniree
...wondering why all of you became Airstream owners?
I voted restoration but what I wanted to say was VALUE. I purchased my 30+ year old Argosy for a fairly cheap price($1,500), but working with a well engineered structure I will eventually end up with a high quality camper after investing a reasonably small amount of money into it. After that I just love the solid quality and beautiful streamlined shape of an Airstream.

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I posted Style because it is one of the things that makes these trailers so unique, but having seen these units on the road for 50 years, and camping with parents who always admired them as they passed on the highway, I have always had a warm spot for them. You see one in a campground or on the highway, or on someone's driveway and you notice it. They seem ageless. I wanted a fifties or forties unit to match my tow vehicle and waited many years to find just the right one. My heart still beats fast when I see one heading down the highway behind someone else's vehicle - and the constant thumbs ups, waves, horn honks and flashing lights we get from people acknowleding the trailer (and tow car) is kind of neat although perhaps a bit embarrassing at times. But all of the poll choices were relevant for us. Barry

safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote