View Poll Results: Why Did You Choose Airstream?
Quality 162 44.02%
Style 144 39.13%
Floorplan 10 2.72%
Restoration Project 52 14.13%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2005, 05:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
For us, it the the Style and the Quality of the design and the long-term reliability that few other manufacturers can offer.

Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Safari57, you needed a new category for this poll: nostalgia. Perfect reason to own one, in my opinion (though "style" really umbrellas that pretty well.)

bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You have to ask? You'll own one soon and then you'll know.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:21 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

During Y2k, I knew that airstreams could survive a Nuclear blast and not be affected by the Winds, and it could also survive Hurricanes in FLA.
but The real reason is I just wanted to live in something of solid quality and
shiny. I'm a do-it -yourself person and have lived in mine for 4 years.
Plus I have never been an RV person, and will probably never own An RV
other than an AS.
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
i got it cheap............a $70,000 machine with some damage for $5,500
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Towability ( aerodynamics, low centre of gravity, independant suspension, huge brakes ) and stunning good looks!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Impulse buy + the price was right. I did not know AS prices at the time, but I knew it was worth far more than I was paying. If it did not work out I knew I could still make a profit. Guess what it has been fun so far. It is a keeper! I only paid 1.5 K & put < 1K into it so far...I wouldn't sell it for 10k.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
This is our 3rd camper. The first 2 were good but too small. We wanted the best quality mid sized camper we could buy and felt like the Safari 25 was the right one for us. Also we wanted to use a Toyota Tundra for towing and the Safari 25 was the max we felt comfortable with. We feel like Airstreams area slice of true Americana and love the nostalgic looks. Ricky
rickyandcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
We never considered other brands!
For us, it was towability and durability!
We knew we would be towing. A lot.
Maybe we read too many romantic stories of those caravans around the world. But we figured if those caravan trailers could survive, that had to be a good thing!
We aren't the kind of users that park in one place all summer. Or tow it out to a nearby campground every other weekend.
We planned to tow about 8 to 12K per year. And that meant one thing to us: AIRSTREAM.
Longevity of the brand and design meant something to us as well.... it wasn't gonna go away any time soon. And it seems only minor tweaking has occurred in the near past so they must be doing something right!
Too, it is a kick to pull in somewhere and folks not have a clue that a) our unit is over twenty years old, or b) they're still making those things! LOL!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
The carpeting is gone! The carpeting is gone! Long live the cork floor!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I agree although I'm not sure I would want a "new" Airstream. They don't seem to be made as well as the "classic" Airstreams. I have a 78 Argosy, 24ft. Those were supposed to be the cheaper ones, but I must say this trailer is in great shape. It's been restored by us "as much as it needed to be", but it's a dynamite piece of workmanship. I feel if it's held together 28 years, it's probably good to go for a lot more years if taken care of.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
How about a piece of Americana? Sort of like Apple pie and the Flag.They have sttod the test of time.
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I must have chosen it with my eyes shut.

I had gone to the factory to take the tour 3 times, and seen that it looked like something out of the 19th century.

I had read what the recent independent evaluations said of Airstream's quality - 3rd rate.

I had visited a handful of dealers, half of which were low class by any one's standards, and had been insulted by a salesman, with his gawdy gold jewelry, from one of Airstream's largest dealer in the south..."are you sure you can affford it, son?"

After owning 2 of the best quality travel trailers made (as voted by a broad spectrum of dealers and customers, rather than believing Airstream owners only), I finally ordered a new Classic in 2004, and my eyes were opened to the reality of Airstream ownership.

Oh, I still love the design, and I'm appreciative of all the many fixes that the factory service guys have attempted on my trailer. But you just can't build in quality after a trailer leaves the factory floor, when it is built like a well used garbage can.

I hope you have your eyes wide open. Good luck.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Style. nostalgia...

My wife and I went to a bunch of RV shows. Poked and prodded lots of SOB's. Then saw and wanted, really wanted, a new CCD but the financial reality was we couldn't justify the expense.

Then we found Fairley, our 31' Sovereign. 20 years old and certainly possessing more than its share of "beauty marks", but he called to us. Long, lean, always looks ready to go - makes us smile every time we pull in the driveway. Everything works, nothing leaks, tows like a dream. Presently at Walt's getting some metal replaced and some vents installed.

Love it.

n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
John Ratzenberger reccomends them....that's why!!! Really...they are an American Icon. Period. That's why. Not to mention it gives me something to do with all my free time . Rivets, vulkem, walbernize, carpet,......

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote