Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Which small airstream is most airstreamish?

Which of the following small airstreams is most airstreamish? Which reflects the DNA of airstream nest? Which is the best beacon for future airstream buyers? Where should airstream be going?

* airstream nest
* airstream sport 16
* airstream basecamp
supziez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Historic and current AS = Bambi 16
Off-road AS = Basecamp
Non-aluminum lower cost solution = Nest

But - why would ask such a question. Visit the dealer and choose. AS is American. Choice is the American way. The one that makes you smile most is the right one for you. And that's why AS builds them.

Hope to meet you down the road with your smile. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supziez View Post
Which of the following small airstreams is most airstreamish? Which reflects the DNA of airstream nest? Which is the best beacon for future airstream buyers? Where should airstream be going?

* airstream nest
* airstream sport 16
* airstream basecamp

Without a doubt the sport 16’ reflects the classic iconic design.. Go for it
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
For me, the Sport 16 out of that list. It will always be a classic where ever Airstream "goes".
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:

* airstream nest
* airstream sport 16
* airstream basecamp
The only one of the three that appeals to me is the Airstream Sport.
Also, IMO, the most Airstreamish and the beacon of the future.

Airstream's parent company, Thor Industries, is going where the money is, regardless of our opinion.

ps:
I see this was your first post. Welcome to the AirForums!

ps2:
Maybe the there is some original Airstream DNA in the Nest and Basecamp. Take a look at this 1936 Airstream Silver Cloud 15'>
http://vintageairstream.com/photo-ar...lver-cloud-15/
Old 12-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
The 16' Bambi says classic Airstream, but the Basecamp has DNA dating back to at least 1935. From an article:

Over 80 years old, this Airstream Torpedo was built by a physician in the late 1930s from a kit sold by Airstream founder, Wally Byam.

smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
FYI, the OP made one post in May 2018, and has not returned.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Sorry, I was not aware I wasn’t allowed to ask a question.

FYI, the OP has not purchased any RV yet.

EDIT: Apologies for being curt, overlander63 — I did not realize there were other replies here. Thank you all for your input... I’m still in the market for an RV, but dealing with other life issues now. Merry Christmas to everyone here!
Old 12-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
With the release of the Caravel line, and my purchase of an “upgraded” tow vehicle (Audi Q7), I had started investigating that line. Made a trip to colonial airstream here in NJ to see one, and was impressed. It mostly hit my marks. Will see where life takes me in the next few months, and make my decision from there.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:57 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Sorry, I was not aware I wasn’t allowed to ask a question.

FYI, the OP has not purchased any RV yet.

EDIT: Apologies for being curt, overlander63 — I did not realize there were other replies here. Thank you all for your input... I’m still in the market for an RV, but dealing with other life issues now. Merry Christmas to everyone here!
This is a phenomenon that occurs on forums. Someone joins, asks a question, and disappears forever. Years later, somebody finds the post and replies to it. It's called a "zombie thread".

The OP returning after so long, after only making one post, and the question still being relevant, is highly unusual.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
The thing about posts on any forum is that they answer questions for many readers. Not just the OP.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
With the release of the Caravel line, and my purchase of an “upgraded” tow vehicle (Audi Q7), I had started investigating that line. Made a trip to colonial airstream here in NJ to see one, and was impressed. It mostly hit my marks. Will see where life takes me in the next few months, and make my decision from there.
Re: the Caravels: They address exactly what I felt were shortcomings in the Sport line... more fully equipped, and with the nicer large-opening windows. If I were looking for a solo trailer right now, I suspect I'd end up with a 22' or 20' Caravel, depending on which one was a better fit for me at the table.

Having said that... even if I suddenly became a solo traveler, I wouldn't trade the 26U for smaller, the convenience of a smaller trailer wouldn't outweigh the depreciation hit, and I've found the 26U to be an easy trailer to spend a 6-week trip with.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
The 16' Bambi says classic Airstream, but the Basecamp has DNA dating back to at least 1935. From an article:

Over 80 years old, this Airstream Torpedo was built by a physician in the late 1930s from a kit sold by Airstream founder, Wally Byam.

A late 1930s Airstream ... didn't know they existed.

The doctor did a fine job with that Wally Byam kit version.

Cool design.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
You ask a number of different questions.

If what you really want to ask is which is the best airstream for you, you already have received the best advice, go see them in person and pick the best one for you.

In terms of where Airstream is going, they are trying to do what they can to increase profits while decreasing costs. I don't see them perusing a particular mission or vision currently other than "make more money."

The classic aluminum trailers seem to be what AS does best and the line with the least likelihood of problems. They are expensive, even the Caravel line -- which is an upgrade to the sport line, which in turn was AS attempt to make a pared-down economy model to be more affordable by newer, younger customers.

The BaseCamp is their attempt to build a trailer capable of more rugged, more basic off-road adventures. Judging by the many problems customers are experiencing with this design, (search the forums) AS has much work to do.

The (nest) is AS attempt to capture some of the fiberglass market. Judging by the responses here in the forum, the lack of AS experience with fiberglass is showing, especially when compared to SOBs (some other brands) that have had decades of experience in this segment.

AS has a problem making an inexpensive trailer in much the same way Cadillac would in making a Caddy under 30K. That's what Chevy is there for. Thor owns other brands besides AS. If you want a more affordable, yet iconic AS, buy one used. There is likely an AS to be had at your desired price point, but may require various degrees of TLC, depending on the purchase price. You may still end up spending thousands to fix it up the way you want, yet still end up saving thousands more over new, but end up with one as good or better than new and customized to your tastes, needs and application.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Quote:
This is a phenomenon that occurs on forums. Someone joins, asks a question, and disappears forever. Years later, somebody finds the post and replies to it. It's called a "zombie thread".

The OP returning after so long, after only making one post, and the question still being relevant, is highly unusual.
Did somebody get a lump of coal in their stocking?
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:09 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Well, I’ll update the thread, as to not get that bad reputation!

We pulled the trigger on a 2022 International 23FB. Now waiting for parts (lifepo batteries, solar panels, etc), and for labor to get done on upgrading the trailer for off-gridding. Hoping to get started this spring
Old 01-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Congrats! Nice thread resurrection.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:56 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Quote:
Well, I’ll update the thread, as to not get that bad reputation!

We pulled the trigger on a 2022 International 23FB. Now waiting for parts (lifepo batteries, solar panels, etc), and for labor to get done on upgrading the trailer for off-gridding. Hoping to get started this spring
Excellent! Great choice, you'll love it.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Well, patience pays off! Congratulations. It appears there's someone else on the planet who researches things as carefully as my wife.
We have a 23FB in the humble FC flavor. We love it, and I predict you'll love yours too. For us it is the perfect size, and it ticks all the Airstream boxes from go-anywhere outdoors to eye-pleasing classic design to easy towing and durability to "Welcome to the Millionaires' Club!"
Many happy travels!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' International
No , New Jersey
Got to see the trailer a few weeks ago, and getting ready to take delivery early next month. Here are some photos from when it arrived

https://imgur.com/a/QiX4NtR