Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Where's your dream Airstream?
1. In my driveway ready to roll. 19 31.67%
2. In my possession awaiting progress (or in process) and usable. 9 15.00%
3. In my shop and un-usable. 12 20.00%
4. At a pro's workshop in process. 0 0%
5. Current/scheduled (or anticipate future) production at the factory. 4 6.67%
6. Currently searching and now only in my head perfecting design. 2 3.33%
7. Forever in my dreams. I'll settle for what I have. 3 5.00%
8. Hitched to my bumper. It will never be done and I like it that way. 4 6.67%
9. Other...please explain. 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Question Where's your dream Airstream?

I think that we all have our perfect Airstream in mind (or in hand). Share what you feel is peculiar to your idea of perfection.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Mostly a #1, with a little #8...

Our sits ready and charged and fully functional, seemingly bored with our lackadaisical approach to retirement (both working part-time and seemingly unable to take the big trip...).. That's the #1 part, as we looked for several years off and on to find it, and spent 6 mohts doing an interior refurb to replace pink curtains and flowery velvet upholstery... All upholstery carpets, blinds and curtains plus wood trim parts, mattress topper and some repairs and appliance tuneups...

The #8 part refers to the ideal interior redesign found on pp 66-68 of the Spring 2007 Issue of Airstream Life Magazine... For only a bunch of extra dollars....

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Where's your dream Airstream?

The Minuet is parked in the side driveway at my father's house waiting to be de-winterized for its first trip of the season to the Midwest Forums Rally.

The Overlander is parked in the old rhubarb field (my mother and I transformed this piece of land into a mini forrest with a wide variety (50 plus) native and varietal trees about 30 years ago) just off the Rustic Road that runs through the North half of my family farm -- it has a Crimson King Maple in its front yard, and a Gingko Biloba in its backyard as well as three huge Korean Boxwoods -- several yards in the background is the farm pond -- a huge Colorado Blue Spruce is visible through the front window.. It is waiting for me to make the time to take it to Cedar Falls, Iowa to have Ace Fogdall RV replace the blackwater tank that was damaged when the coach high-centered on the county road as I towed it onto its current storage pad. This may be the best time to have a graywater tank added to increase the travel versatility of the coach.

When I moved to my current location last Fall, I couldn't find a home with backyard access for either of my trailers in the area where I wanted to live (within walking distance to the high school where I teach various Business Computer Applications). Most of the homes near the school were built between 1930 and 1955 on lots that are at most 50' wide and little more than 100' deep -- and in my neighborhood, most have a seven to nine foot drop from the yard level to the street level. Both of my coaches are on my family farm (200 miles to the South), but since that is my home-base during the Summer it actually looks to be quite workable.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Mine has been mobile/in use/ and undergoing restoration since I got it labor day weekend 2005. Prior to this spring I have replaced the axles, tires, brakes, and refer. The next two months are the next great leap forward: finally installing that furnace I have been toting around forever, replace plumbing, univolt, pergo floor, strip and polish (hiring some college students to help some) and a new awning (back to the vintage/zipdee debate). I am now awake nights hoping I am not biting off to much for the spring..... Assuming I do get all this in order, the final stage for next year will be upholstery and probally some counter work. So, two and a half years and $15K ought to just about get things where I want them..........

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
The #8 part refers to the ideal interior redesign found on pp 66-68 of the Spring 2007 Issue of Airstream Life Magazine... For only a bunch of extra dollars....
This is my dream as well.....can you imagine combining the Barbara Brown/Dan Shugrue Airstream with the front bed floorplan? When can I pick it up? pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Mine is in my shop with the front gaucho area torn out so I can access the water tank which needs repair/replacing. I hope to complete this over the next week so it's ready to go when the weather is accommodating. Generally it's ready to be hooked up and go but this darned leak needs to be fixed and now is the best time.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:50 AM   #7

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Question Airstream dreamin' on such a winters day.

Don't we all dream about a perfect camper (or MH) like I do? Unless we already own it I suppose. I don't think that I'll ever be done and sometimes I feel like I've barely started, then I read my own blog and am surprised and encouraged by the actual progress I've made. We can't afford to do everything at once and anyway I vow to keep the camper usable the whole time.

Won't it be fun to gather data on how everybody is pursuing the dream? Where is your dream at?

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
Old 03-03-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Dream AS

I don't know about the rest of you, but I dream of Airstreams all the time. Currently my dream Airstream is in the middle of a cow field in VT. Still trying to get it too! This photo was taken the day I found it last fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	33359  
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
You forgot an option for those of us who see snow! Our baby is in cozy storage awaiting the spring.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Mine's sitting in the driveway with shot axles and non working brakes. It's plugged into shore power though so me and the kids go up and play in it like a clubhouse

I just got my Lincoln Precision Tig 225 yesterday. I hope to get practiced up on my welding (I'll stick weld most of the frame, may tig some of it....225 can do both) and start fabricating the new frame and running gear soon.

Sitting here with the stomach flu so probably no welding practice this weekend

PediaLyte is my friend.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I opted for #7.
I love my '72 GT, but it isn't perfect. It would need a grey tank and a dry bath. Is anything really perfect? Good enough - yes. Perfect, no IMO. For that reason #7 fit for me. Perfect is only in my head.
I'm not complaining. I'm delighted that I'm able to own a great A/S, but the survey said perfect....
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #12

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I opted for #7.
I love my '72 GT, but it isn't perfect. It would need a grey tank and a dry bath. Is anything really perfect? Good enough - yes. Perfect, no IMO. For that reason #7 fit for me. Perfect is only in my head.
I'm not complaining. I'm delighted that I'm able to own a great A/S, but the survey said perfect....
Dave
Good point, I wanted to add another option, kind of zen like..."perfection is unobtainable so why try". You are right I know. I'll certainly never own perfection, but hopefully someday "Old Paint" will serve our purposes perfectly. Perhaps perfection could be attempted with a truckload of cash and Dave Winick at your disposal for an unlimited amount of time

Steve
Old 03-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I voted #9

I have two and both are unusable at the moment... due to time constraints I am seriously considering hauling the better of the two up to Ron at South Jersey and giving him a list and a blank check, then wait until retirement to handle the other one. FWIW Ron would get the '75 with directions to fix what is broke and restore the rest. The '80 is going full custom. I really think a FB floor plan with wrap windows in the rear would be super neat on a 31' The words Blank Slate come to mind on that beast.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Actually at the bottom of the driveway...

My beautiful WALLY 54 is at the bottom of our driveway, where he's been since we towed him home late last October.

Odviously towable, but not livable. No appliances or accoutrements.

But, the list is in the works and the work will commence when the snow is gone. Start with new axles, wheels and tires and tow him to the top of the driveway next to the garage! It's all fun and games after that. Sky's the limit .

And my open pocket book too!

But, just imagine... shiny aluminum, bright red accent colors, soft and comfortable upholstery, marmoleum flooring, stainless appliances and a bath of halogen accent lighting. That's my dream.

k
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Mine is awaiting me to win the lottery and have David Winick custom build my interior just the way I want it.
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Not really in our driveway. Parked on the side of our house. And we have been "sweeping" snow daily. We are planning to build a shelter this Spring.

We still work....we are planning weekend short trips come Spring and perhaps a short vacation. We love our Airstream.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida

Ours is still at the dealer's, waiting for awnings and a hitch. We hope to pick it up in Ohio next Friday! Am getting very excited about that!

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #18
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Happy with 2 and the projects never end

We are lucky to be able to have our trailer in the back yard and my dream man (hubby) is working on our dream Airstream--this winter so far he's reconfigured the front area, moved the gaucho, sent the cushions to be reupholstered, is fixing leaks with vulkem, built a dinette, replaced the humming univolt, built a table top, put in a new Sealand traveler Lite throne, and is getting ready to put in a wood floor!

Of couse there will be more projects, especially if we keep reading threads by all the innovative forum members who come up with such great ideas to customize the trailers!
Old 03-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I love my old 81, and would say it's about as finished as I need it.
I could see someday buying a 28' slide out if the right one ever comes around.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We are spending the night in our beloved Lucy, hooked-up in Daddy's yard in Jacksonville.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote