View Poll Results: Where do you buy your bits & pieces? (Check all that apply)
Camping World 293 57.34%
Airstream Dealership 176 34.44%
Other RV Dealership 183 35.81%
Inland RV 154 30.14%
Vintage Trailer Supply 132 25.83%
Home Depot 216 42.27%
WalMart 258 50.49%
eBay 147 28.77%
Various Online Stores 139 27.20%
Other (please tell) 69 13.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 511. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The story is getting worse, as time goes by.

A non dealer that buys Airstream exclusive parts at super discount from a dealer, and then sells them ultra wholesdale, who also has zero overhead, is a stab in the back to everyone and anyone that truly represents Airstream products. In the old days they were called "ten percenters".

This is the very reason that many Airstream dealers no longer sell parts.
They all have an overhead, that must be passed on.

Supporting a non dealer selling a few Airstream parts, in time, will just make it more difficult for the true Airstream owners.

If those owners want support from the dealers, then they should be supportive of those dealers. If not, then the dealers will cease being supportive of the Airstream product owners, as many have already done.

And that's the way it is.

Andy

Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Where do we get parts? Well, we live in the "sticks" and unless it is available from a regular building supplier like Lowe's or Ace Hardware we look online. Buy what we need where ever we can find it! We don't have just one main place. But, we have a vintage airstream, so we usually have to hunt. We have often gone to the Inland RV website, but I personally have found it difficult to navigate to find specific parts... probably just haven't figured out how to use the site... haven't found a search box yet...I prefer to email and ask questions as we often search late at night after normal working hours. In defense of Inland RV we have phoned and spoke to folks there and got answers, but usually we are in the garage during working hours... and do research at night as mentioned above.

I guess to sum it up, we just look everywhere, and make the purchase from the company that can meet our immediate needs the best if we can find what we are looking for!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi

Old 07-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Our web site has just a very small listing of the Airstream parts that we carry in inventory. Additionall, the web site is a "sale list only".

We carry over 3200 different Airstream parts, in inventory.

If the web site does not have what you may need, just call and ask.

We talk with our customers on the telephone, and as long as you are in the US, it's toll free as well. It is not necessary to FAX us or e-mail us to get answers to your questions.

Andy
Old 07-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #32
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

We talk with our customers on the telephone, and as long as you are in the US, it's toll free as well. It is not necessary to FAX us or e-mail us to get answers to your questions.

Andy
I have called Andy many times with Airstream related questions, and even if he is busy, he will take the time to find out what I need, and the best way to address the problem.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
Thumbs up

1- Out-of-Doors Mart is my primary sorce for Airstream specific parts, they have some of the best customer service I have ever experienced
2- For everyday nuts, bolts, washers and other, the local hardware store is great, fast friendly, experienced service.
3- Wal-mart for that latenight last minute emergency item
4- The local lumberyard, better service than Lowes

I agree with what Andy has to say, the same goes with local lumberyard, hardware store, plumming supply and other mom and pop operations. I have seen to many good stores close down because there came another Wallyworld, Slowes, Home-d-pot or other. I still get the best service and help from the pros and they don't work at Lowes, at least that is my experience.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #34

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Kernersville , North Carolina
I get the small hard to find stuff from www.outofdoorsmart.com. I talk to them all the time. They are just getting going on there on-line store and if there is a part that they sell and don't have it on there they put it on there for me. Partssales@outofdoorsmart.com
Old 07-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
I have to compliment Andy from Inland RV. He has answered all my e-mail questions even when it was clear from my questions that no parts or service (i.e. Money in his pocket) was involved. So when I do need parts or service I will call him. Thanks again for all your help Andy.

P.S. It's cheaper to deal with an expert the first time than to have to redo it correctly later.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Thanks

Quote:
Our web site has just a very small listing of the Airstream parts that we carry in inventory. Additionall, the web site is a "sale list only".

We carry over 3200 different Airstream parts, in inventory.

Andy
Andy,

Thanks for the information. I sort of gathered that what I saw online was "limited"... it would be nice if you also had the majority of your items online so one could view the pictures, specs, etc. really helps to see the item ~ especially when trying to "match" older stuff. But, if you don't have email support then we will certainly give Inland RV a call when we have questions! Do you have evening phone support?

Interesting the responses in your survey! Of course, we have purchased items at Wal Mart (aka China Mart) and other large stores, but generally it is a resort when nothing else is open. Rarely do we find what we need there. We often try our locally owned RV center and feel positive about keeping our dollars in our little fair city. We could probably shop local easier if we had a newer Airstream or Some Other Brand.

May you all have fair skies and pleasant weather in your travels.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
[The cost to list 3200 Airstream parts, along with photo's and the daily price change updates, would run about $5000.00 per month. That cost would have to be passed on to the consumer.

Therefore we list a "sale list" only, and invite any and all to call us with their questions or parts needs, from 7am to 4pm Monday through Friday, California time.

We answer, as soon as we can, as many direct e-mail questions that we can, or if a phone number is given, then we will call that person back, during regular business hours.

We prefer the one on one contact as opposed to only faxing or e-mail. A two way conversation, we feel, is better than a one way.

Andy

We have never posted ot listed a "survey".
Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #38
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
The cost to list 3200 Airstream parts, along with photo's and the daily price change updates, would run about $5000.00 per month. That cost would have to be passed on to the consumer.
Andy, have you checked into the cost of a search engine? It's a bit tedious to scroll through the whole "sale item" list to find one particular item (which might not be on the list). A search engine might save quite a few phone calls if all 3200 parts were included in the search. Just a thought.

May you camp where wind wonít hit you, where snakes wonít bite and bears wonít git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Andy, have you checked into the cost of a search engine? It's a bit tedious to scroll through the whole "sale item" list to find one particular item (which might not be on the list). A search engine might save quite a few phone calls if all 3200 parts were included in the search. Just a thought.
You have a point.

However, to take the photos of all of those items, with descriptions and prices, plus daily changes to some of those prices, would be a monumental task.

Andy
Old 07-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #40
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
You have a point.
However, to take the photos of all of those items, with descriptions and prices, plus daily changes to some of those prices, would be a monumental task. Andy
Whatís wrong with monumental tasks? Isnít that how monuments are built?

May you camp where wind wonít hit you, where snakes wonít bite and bears wonít git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:02 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
If Andy put all his pieces and parts on line, we wouldn't have the pleasure of speaking directly to him or his very knowledgeable staff. I, for one, love the personal attention. How many businesses still give that? You sure don't get it at Wally World!!!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
McMaster-Carr Supply Co.
varous marine supplers
aircraft supplers

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote