Old 10-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
How much... well I agree it all depends... usually it is how tired, how desperate, and how long. Recently we stayed in a RV park and paid something like $32. I thought it was excessive. Dirt lot, one tiny tree, had full hookup with water, sewer, power. No wifi or anything "fancy". Showers were okay, but on a scale of 1 - 10 I would give them a 4+. People were nice, however and it was quiet. The spots were quite crowded.

We seriously prefer forest service campgrounds for $3 - $6 a night! Trees, views, usually water and sometimes dump stations, not to mention occasional wildlife. Usually no noisy neighbors and you get campfires! An added bonus is none of those bright street lights pouring in your windows at night to keep you awake! Usually no generators!

If I were paying $50+ a night I would leave the trailer at home and stay in a nice hotel instead. Save on fuel costs and it would probably be less expensive than staying in the camper. Get to eat out too!

I would consider paying more if it were somewhere I really wanted to be ~ maybe Yellowstone, etc. We recently stayed in Yosemite for a week and it was $10 a night with our "Golden Age" pass.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Depends

It is all about where, when and other options. If it is a holiday weekend on the ocean in the summer all the best amenities.....we would pay $50. If it was mid week dry camping in the desert in the summer...we would pay $10. Our last long trip covered 27 states and 25 campgrounds/RV parks and our average was $32 a night.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:53 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I try to stay where it's most convenient for what I am there for. If I am just traveling through it's go cheap and I have paid about $8 bucks for a 1000 pm - 0800 am stay in one place in TX as I went to CO for a hunting trip. Have to say the best place for the money that I stayed in was near Paonia, CO in a forest wilderness site - $6 w/only dump station and view that was the best. BTW the campground down the road was $32 and a $20 fee because there was a Blues Festival that turned out to be a bust.

I paid $49 this past spring for Fort Wilderness at Disney - have to say it was worth every penny. People were great, site was perfect, location and transportation were what you would expect from Disney. I try to avoid KOA's, seems that every one I have been to had long term parking and I always felt like I was intruding on someones space.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:23 AM   #18
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
$25

Hi the Community;
As it's difficult in France to go in a campground, without reservation because they don't accept the trailer ( too long, 2 axels, or simply not great place for that ), we always plan for holidays and to stay 3 weeks at least.
The FIRST choice is to be near a sea !!! (see why whith the blog link ).
After that,the choice is made in second with the Electricity power: 10A or
more ( most of campgrounds have only 6A max ...). Without 10A, the A/S doesn't work well .
Then is the price: $25 max each day with water; if dump junction ( rare in France), that is the paradise but not necessary... I have bought a rolling tank for that and it's used one time a week .

So I've discovered , this summer, what was a familly campground, not many places but what a quiet place to stay and that, this is a great choice in the future... No more great campgrounds ( if possible...);

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #19
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
I then checked the Orlando KOA and found they are higher belive it or not.

Jim
Bruno, you put us in perspective.
We checked Ft. Wilderness for Christmas week and, of course they are booked solid, so we cheked the Orlando KOA for the same week and they were $97/night. We are staying at the Swan. Three times as much $$ as the KOA, but they furninsh the accomodations and make the beds!

P.S. Not to mention the Swam is a 5 star property and right in the middle of two theme parks and I don't have to dump the tanks every day.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:34 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
BTW, as others have said, it depends on the ammenities for maximum price. So far, in our first summer, we have paid as much as $80+ for July 4th week end at Ft. Wilderness and that didn't include cable! That was steep, but it did include our pet (dog). I think I'll keep it to non-holidays in the future.

Anyway, we usually have paid under $30 for private camp grounds and $20 for Georgia State Parks and $17 this past week end for a Tennessee State Park with E/W/S (yes they actually had sewer hook up in a state park). I thought that was a bargain!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
It is amazing how much difference there is throughout the various states! For example, in Nevada along Hwy 50 there is the Bob Scott Campground (NFS) it is free... they don't have hookups but fairly level sites, water you can fill your tank with, and they have flush toilets to boot! The NFS sites are usually great if you can be self contained.

We traveled to Omaha and back last summer and were amazed at how few National Forest campgrounds (or similar ones...) there are outside of the west! Once we left Colorado.... it was fairly bleak to find any campsites other than commercial! Maybe we just had the wrong books! Next time I will check the postings on the travel threads!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 10-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Everybody has their limits when it comes to campground fees. What is that $$ limit for you. To compare apples with apples, please indicate amenities included for that amount (ie: E, W, W/E, W/E/S, w/ cable, w/ WIFI, etc.).
My comparisons are different than your's listed above because I think there is more to choosing a CG than just its hookups. For us, location, ambience and views are important considerations too. I offer up some examples:

1) Fort Wilderness -- yes, the price is high, but that is ok because: a) it's my vacation, b) this is not a regular destination for me, c) I want to experience the Disney camping experience.

2) A campground we went to in Virginia had all the amenities listed in the first post for $25/night. I found the campground using Woodalls and it sounded like I found a dream come true with regards to a CG. Not! We arrived and found the CG did have all the amenities along with some not so nice things such as a) unkempt landscaping, b) next to hiway location, c) filthy washrooms, d) no after dark lighting, and e) sites stacked one on top of each other. The campground was SO over the top scary that my husband and I amused ourselves by locking our selves in our trailer and telling ghost stories to each other! LOL! Note: this was the first and only time (so far) that we have thrown all three deadbolts on the trailer before going to sleep!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna

1) Fort Wilderness -- yes, the price is high, but that is ok because: a) it's my vacation, b) this is not a regular destination for me, c) I want to experience the Disney camping experience.
We agree, and being huge Disney fans and living just 6-1/2 hours away, we already go to Disney at least twice a year and often three times a year anyway. Now that we have the Airstream and have stayed at Ft. Wilderness, we will be going more often. In fact we leave two weeks from today for a four day week end school holiday and will be attending Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! Can't wait to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
2) A campground we went to in Virginia had all the amenities listed in the first post for $25/night. I found the campground using Woodalls and it sounded like I found a dream come true with regards to a CG. Not!
I am so new to camping I am unfamiliar with Woodall's other than knowing that there is a listing of campgrounds. Don't they have a rating system to let you know what a listed campground is like? Are the ratings that out of date? I was considering buying one of those campground books, but it sounds like I might be just as lucky to just take my chances with "Good Sams" camp grounds.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

http://www.goodsamclub.com/

index.cfmhttp://ra1.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/maps/usamaps.html

The above are a couple sites where you can get info on campgrounds that have been reviewed by other campers hope this helps someone

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Choices

I'm more concerned with the parks appearance than a lot of extras. If it's too crowded, too dark, too close to the highway, or too uncared for it's not for us. There have been 2 or 3 that we drove in and turned around and left immediately. For the above, price does not matter as long as there is an alternative.

Our daughter is in college in Bloomington, IN. Bloomington, and the surrounding area (30 miles) just do not have an abundance of RV parks. From what we've seen, all of them (4-5) except for one fits into one or more of the above categories. The only nice park is aware of it, and they charge accordingly $40+. It's a nice park, but nothing special. They even have a daily fee for visitors. They know that they are the only park in town, and the only decent one that is nearby. Believe me, if there was an alternative we'd be there.

We've stayed in a run down RV park that was just behind a cheap motel in Hope, Arkansas. It was just for the night, and it was only $10. It was a scary place. We didn't tell ghost stories, but it was one place where I wished I had a hand gun with me. We won't make that choice again.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for the links ibg16. I'll be looking at those. I am a member of Good Sam and get e-mails about their directory from time to time. If I can use the web site that would be great.

The only long distance truly cross country camping trip my family took when I was a youth was from Georgia to California in 1969. We used our pop-up tent trailer and I remember my parents had a directory with a yellow cover. It listed the nightly fee and rating as well as ammenities. It may have been AAA or it may have been Good Sam. I know they were AAA members because we had one of their trip tics with the scenic route and the express route. We took the scenic route on the way west and the express route on the way east...my dad was in a hurry to get home after a week in a tent camper in June and a week at my grandmother's. I guess he wanted back to his own comfy bed for a couple of days before he had to go back to work.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I am also a Life member in Good Sam's and a Standby Sam if your ever in North florida holler at me. as long as yur a member of GS I believe you can use there website for campground info. it also has alot of other info too.....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I remember traveling cross country in '71 with my parents. We were gone for 8 weeks and had no reservations, just a very thick Woodalls that covered the entire country and Canada. After travelling for 500-600 miles my dad would ask Mom to start looking for a campground. She would check the map for upcoming towns and start her search. She would read the descriptions and the number of W's rating. Many campgrounds were in the $2-3 range. ".... 3 miles from STHWY 9.... pool... laundry... rec room... $3 wtr/elec, $4 swr..." Dad would reply, "keep looking for something cheaper." Now it's, do they have cable, WIFI, water slides...?

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote