View Poll Results: Where did get your traveling companion (pet)?
Local Rescue Organization 30 32.26%
Breeder 35 37.63%
Pet Store 2 2.15%
Other 26 27.96%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Where did you get your travel companion?

So many of us enjoy having an Airstream because we can take our furry family members along for the ride. I was just curious how most of us aquired our companions? We adopted our German Shorthair Pointer at the Humane Society. We were on our way out of the building as Cady was coming in with her exasperated owner. "She's gunshy and too hyper" were the only two reasons he had for giving her up. Lucky for us, we got an excellent dog who enjoys hiking with us and traveling with us.

Jim & Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
We travel with two Border Collies. One 10 years old and the new addition at 12 weeks. Smartest dogs in the world.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We travel with Toby and Niki. Toby is on the left and he will be 4 in Nov. and Niki is 6mo. They love to stay in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toby and Niki.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	14032  
Marvin & Annie
Niki (fur baby)
1979 Argosy 30 (Costalotta)
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Craftsman, I don't know how your Border Collies could be the smartest dogs in the world when it's quite obvious to me that my Chinese Shar-Pei is the smartest dog in the world ! P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Exclamation A long path to acquisition ...

First researched Weimaraner Breeders & their foundation Pedigree in the U.S. (1997)
Then flew to Detroit for one of the few 'Benched' shows in the U.S. Evaluated the breedable bitches from 'my short list' of desirable Breeder's & Pedigree.

Was attracted to one bitch and offered to buy her. The Breeder LAUGHED-OUT-LOUD! Turned away and thought I was Crazy!

Well, it turned out to be THE intended current (1998) foundation bitch of the Grayangel Kennel of Ann Arbor Michigan not yet finished in the conformation ring and yet to be bred.

After numerous calls to the Breeder over the next two years to remind them of my continued interest, 'GIGI' had been judged a Champion and thereafter whelped 7 puppies at Christmas (2000)

I was interviewed (scrutinized) at least three times by two different people then, in order for the Breeder & Co-Owner of 'GIGI' to decide if 'My breeding & pedigree' was good enough to possess a Grayangel.

Although they hesitated to allow one of their 'pups' to go to an owner so far away from 'home', the decision came down in my favor.

After the mandatory minimum 8 weeks (the earliest offspring are allowed to be taken away from the litter) this 'Florida Boy' flew to Detroit on that exact day, in the SNOW, and retrieved my Weim on 14 February 2001

This teeny little dog, loaded into a bird travel cage (so it was legal to place under the seat) was treated to her inagural commercial flight in the first class compartment with ME! Well, the cabin attendents had that puppy out and around, and everybody enjoyed her company for the entire trip.

She goes everywhere with me, all the time ... one picture below shows her at 9 weeks and the other is her today supervising her second Airstream restoration. Now she wants her own 'Member Log-in with the Forum' to address other Airstreaming Pets!

PS. 'The Smartest Dog in the World!'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9 Weeks - Ritz Carlton-Amelia- April 2001-A-cropped.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	14033   Click image for larger version

Name:	'65 resto helper 8-05.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	14034  

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Years ago, my friend pick up a stray husky/wolf mix while working in Alaska.

Loki is probably one of the BEST dogs I have ever known. I always told my friend that I would love a pup if he ever breed Loki. We'll the opportunity came up, and Abita was given to us as a wedding present, after discussion and acceptance by us of course.

Abita is a GREAT dog, and is worthy to be one of Loki's children. However, he was always bored and mopey if we ever left him. Huskies very much are pack animals, and he needed one of his own. The past January, Avery was born, also an offspring of Loki. She joined us in Colorado a few short months later.

We are now halfway to a pulling team.
Chris and Christina- Boerne, TX / Evergreen, CO - TAC TX-7
2008 27'FB Int'l Signature CCD
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #7
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
My big ole boy

My third Border Collie in the last 30 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Freckles.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	14035  
Paul Mayeux
A&P Vintage Trailer Works, Inc.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What a wonderful bunch of dogs you all have! I can't vote, because I have two rescues and one from a breeder.

We got Alki the mini American Eskimo from a breeder after doing a lot of reading, going to a show and checking them out in person, meeting a lot of breeders and dogs, and having a couple breeders refuse to sell to us because we lived in a mobile home in an unfenced park. But I finally found one who would trust us with one of her puppies. Thank goodness, because Alki has been my best friend and constant companion for the past 11 years! And, despite what others may think of their dogs, she is clearly the smartest dog in the world, because she has trained me perfectly

Then we wanted a companion for Alki after we moved to the farm, something big that could scare off coyotes. So a friend with a Dalamation rescue tried out a cranky old Dal on us, and he didn't work out. Then she said she had the perfect dog, and gave us Chester the Dal. Chester is absolutely ruled by Alki, and couldn't scare off much of anything, but he is sweet, gentle and big hearted.

Then our elderly cat passed away, so a year later I went to the humane society to check on an Eskimo I had heard was there, and was going to transport him to the rescue if he wasn't adopted yet. Luckily he was already gone to a new home, but on my way out I walked through the cat room and a beautiful persian caught my eye. Two days later Lucy was home, acting like she had always lived here. She is Chester's best friend, and loves to rub up with him, and antagonize Alki by smacking her and running away. She seems to love a good chase!

So, one pet carefully chosen from a breeder, and two second-chance companions. All good choices...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
My favorite furry family member

My favorite furry family member's name is "Mike." He sheds a lot, makes muddy messes, gets his food all over the floor and he drools when he sleeps. He likes to ride in the front seat when we're traveling and sticks his head out of the window. I found him near my junior high school and nine years later, I married him. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. He really is hairy. )

Roadsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
I knew it was bound to happen. When I wrote "furry traveling companion" I left the door wide open. I'm just glad you left out the part about his leash and collar.
Jim & Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
All over the place

Actually I could say Pet Store, Breeder, and Rescue (not local). We have three Boston Terriers.

Our oldest we got from a pet store, he was starving to death and had worms really bad. We got "a deal" and picked him up for $100. Our Vet had us take him home and give him food and love. He didn't tell us until a few months later that they didn't thing that "Gnat" was going to survive. They were quite impressed with the job we did.

The next one "Libby" we drove to a Boston Terrier rescue in Georgia. Found her on the internet at a rescue site. Drove down on Friday, back on Saturday. She was a puppy mill breeder. She was one year old and had two litters already. She had only lived in a cage. She now knows how to play with toys and other dogs. It took a little while to get to this point.

Lastly is "Stella". She came from a breeder in Ohio. My wife's sister took pictures of a litter of puppies. We were ok with the first four puppies (weren't going to get one). We saw the fifth puppy and that was it. A couple days later she was here. She lives up to her name because I am like Marlon Brando at the back door "STELLLLLLLLAAAAA!".

Nice thing is, they all fit easily on the front seat when we are towing the trailer. And, they know that the trailer is the home away from home.

1993 34' Excella 1000
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel
(No it doesn't have a HEMI in it)
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas

Our two travelling cats were rescued, but not by a formal organization.

Sidney, our 20-pound 17-year-old, diabetic was apparently either lost or dropped off by someone in our rural subdivision. We found him bone thin and eating crickets under a street light in the wee small hours. He hates to travel, but has to have his insulin shot every day. "Sidney Cricket" rides wedged betwen the bed and the night table inbthe trailer if temperatures permit. If it is too hot, he rides on the back floor of the truck and constantly groans softly until he finally falls asleep.

Zoe was rescued by my daughter as a small kitten. She was almost hairless with ringworm and had rubbed her face until it looked like hamburger. My daughter had too many cats, so we took Zoe in. She has travelled ever since and I have never spent a night in an Airstream without her. She rides between the curtain and the front window on whichever is the shady side if the temperature permits. If it is too hot, she rides in the truck where she sleeps on the console facing backward.

Our third cat, Dakota Sue", was also orphaned at a young age. As a kitten, she was a good traveller, but she turned into a "paranoid schitzofraidycat" as she grew older. She stays at home woth a gravity feeder and waterer and a neighbor girl checks every couple of days.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
travel companion

I got my travel companion on eBay. Isnt she great?
She rides on the dash as I pull the silver twinkie into
the great orange sunset.

chikagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
our bassets and cat

Our cat came from a shelter and $300. later he was healthy. Our 2 year basset came from people who had NO clue about dogs--he was 4 months old and had them terrorized Milo is a very sweet boy, he rides on the engine dog house of the motorhome and Lucy is 1 1/2 yrs and a princess she rides in one of the club chairs or stretched out on the couch. They are great travelers. We got them after we lost our 15 year old basset and an 8 month old pup during the same week, after losing our wolfhound to cancer 3 months early Tough year!

Ron and Debbie Lawrence
1985 345 Motorhome...... delightfully tacky......yet unrefined
AIR 7992
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote