View Poll Results: Where did you buy your Airstream?
USA - New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont) 13 2.56%
USA - Mid Atlantic (Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C.) 54 10.65%
USA - The South (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia) 112 22.09%
USA - Midwest (Illinois, Indiana | Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin) 123 24.26%
USA - The Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas) 58 11.44%
USA - The West (Alaska, Colorado, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming) 120 23.67%
Canada 27 5.33%
Europe 0 0%
Latin America 0 0%
Asia, the Pacific, Middle East & Africa 0 0%
Voters: 507. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Found our 2008 Safari in July on EBay after looking for a year. We happened to be passing through New Jersey that week so we made an appointment to see her. We bid and had the high bid at the conclusion of the auction but didn't meet the reserve. I talked to the owner on the phone. After two days we agreed on a price. He corrected a couple of small issues. We picked her up in early August and have been delighted. Buying "lightly used" saved quite a bit.

Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #58
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
After asking a lot questions and getting great answers from folks on this Forum we decided to buy new. We bought it from Colonial in NJ. My wife and I enjoyed dealing with both Patrick and Lauren. They are very professional.

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Where did you buy your A/S?

My 1964 Overlander found me through the Northwest Illinois Trader magazine. It had been advertised for two months in early 1995, and I finally decided to go look at it even though it was 10 years older than what I wanted at the time. It was about a 300 mile drive from my home near Platteville, Wisconsin to its location near Mendota, Illinois. For its age, it was in very good condition . . . but there was something special that seemed to call out to me and within two hours I had placed a 10% deposit on the coach to hold it until I could pick it up the next weekend. I learned a few months later that it was actually the coach that I remembered from childhood . . . friends of the family had purchased it new and invited me on my first camping trip in the trailer when I was 5 years old and the trailer was brand new. I had lost track of the trailer in 1980 when our friends sold it and retired from Airstreaming.

My 1978 Argosy Minuet found me in a rather round-about fashion. I first saw the coach at the WBCCI International Rally in Sioux Falls, SD. At that point, I had never seen nor heard of an Argosy Minuet. I was near the bull pen when the Minuet arrived and immediately became intrigued by the coach as the original owner filled me in on some of the details of the Argosy Minuet. During the run of the rally, I became well acquainted with the owner and asked that he let me know if he should decide to sell the coach. In 2003, I received an e-mail that he had decided to sell and was listing the coach on the Vintage Airstream Club Classifieds. I immediately read the ad and made an initial offer. I was traveling to Southern Indiana to bring the coach home within 72 hours.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
Purchase ours sight unseen off CL after looking two days! Contacted a Northern California third party inspector. Inspector must have liability insurance and supplies a written evaluation for a fee of $375.00. Picked it up a week later. Only had minor issue's that were over looked at observation. I used the 25% rule. Which states you will spend an additional 25% on any used vehicle purchased to bring it up to your liking. Been buying all my cars and trucks that way for years.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
Bought our Safari in Port Townsend, Washington after seeing the classified advertisement on Airstream Central. Picked it up at the end of January during a break in the weather and were able to tow it back over the mountains without any problems.

I like Land Shark's comment regarding the 25% rule. We did a personal inspection, of course, before we bought and felt we were purchasing from a reputable private party. We did have some repairs but closer to 7% of the purchase price (skylight, new AC, a few small leaks, some regular maintenance which we would have done anyway).

We were looking to buy a 27" FB model but found the 28" and are pleased with our purchase.
2006 Safari 28' SE (Sylvia)
75th Anniversary Edition
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #62
1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
From the greatest guy in the world. Name of Case Cooper in a tiny town in Arkansas near Memphis. Marion Arkansas. I called the local chief of police to see if anyone knew him, and his father is retired State Police. I figured he couldn't be too bad He was not only not bad, he's amazing. His airstream was exactly as advertised on Craigslist; he knows airstreams inside and out, he'll buy for you if you tell him what you want; he teaches you everything he knows about airstreams; and he's a heck of a nice guy. Honest as the day is long. We are extremely pleased and appreciate his bending over backward to make sure we were happy with our 24 ft. Argosy. We may make him family now.
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Found our on Air Forum Classified - previously owned a 1993 25' Classic Excella for over 15 years, wife and I wanted just a little more space. Found a 2002 30' Classic in LaFayette, Indiana. Drove up, spent night in A/S, drove back the following day, slightly over 1400 miles round trip total.
Curt, Joan and "BonJovi"
tinman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
Wentzville , Missouri
Bought our 2010 International Serenity 23D four weeks ago at Camping World RV Sales in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Although "new," this unit had apparently been in their inventory for as long as 18 months, and may be the last new Airstream that they will ever sell at that location. We are new to all of this - rv's in general and Airstream in particular, so we have a great deal to learn. Still, we are this very minute in the 4th campground that we have had it in!
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
We were told of our Bambi II languishing in Central/West New Jersey- about an hour and a half from home.
"The difference between vintage and retro is that vintage is honestly old and cool. Retro tries to be but isn't."
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nevada City , California
Sutton RV

So far a great experience. Dealt with Mark who is extremely knowledgable, and not pushy. Even helped with tow vehicle advice. When he went on vacation he even gave me his cell number which I did not call as everyone needs a break. When one spends this much money, it must be an enjoyable experience and so far it has been just that. It is a happy dealership where the employees state openly that it is a great place to work. I also felt the deal was a win win -as it should be. Am on my way to pick up my 2012 FB Flying Cloud, 25 ft. on Sept 7th.

The dealership has advised us to stay in a nearby park for two days, so that they can help with any questions or problems. Everyone has been so welcoming and accomodating that we are providing a small celebration and inviting the staff and the owner.

Had a HAHA and brake controller shipped to them for install. If all goes as it has been it will have been a wonderful buying experience.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Live in CA but found our Airstream in Arizona! Drove out over a 3 day weekend and picked it up and camped on the way home - worked out perfectly!!
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Found our on kijiji, only 45 mins drive from our house. We are in northern Manitoba.... Aprox. 9-10 hour drive straight north from the u.s border( above North Dakota ) we were so surprised to find her so close!!!!
Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #69
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
We found ours on Forums classified after about six months of searching and just 35 miles away and it had only been on the road 7 times in 4 years.
Dana and Olga
2006 Safari 23
2011 Tundra Double Cab
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to AirVintage
Our was a CL find. It had been posted on Friday, March 30th, drove 2 hours to just north of Indianapolis on Sunday (April Fool's Day) and bought it. Picked it up the following week. Took it out for a test run the weekend of April 14-15 and leaving next week for Alabama!

It is currently being repaired: A/C is being replaced, new propane tanks, wheel bearings packed, and converter replaced. Costing about $2300 total but it will be ready for departure on Thursday and we will not have to worry about a thing.

Looks like that 25% rule sticks!

Haven't thought of a name for her yet....still thinking.

Heather & Dwayne
Evie, Stewart, Bella & Lily too! (the mini-pack)
'76 International Sovereign Cincinnati, Ohio
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
AirVintage is offline   Reply With Quote