Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Where did you buy your Airstream?
USA - New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont) 12 2.39%
USA - Mid Atlantic (Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C.) 54 10.74%
USA - The South (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia) 112 22.27%
USA - Midwest (Illinois, Indiana | Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin) 123 24.45%
USA - The Southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas) 56 11.13%
USA - The West (Alaska, Colorado, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming) 121 24.06%
Canada 25 4.97%
Europe 0 0%
Latin America 0 0%
Asia, the Pacific, Middle East & Africa 0 0%
Voters: 503. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Bought our Safari in Port Townsend, Washington after seeing the classified advertisement on Airstream Central. Picked it up at the end of January during a break in the weather and were able to tow it back over the mountains without any problems.

I like Land Shark's comment regarding the 25% rule. We did a personal inspection, of course, before we bought and felt we were purchasing from a reputable private party. We did have some repairs but closer to 7% of the purchase price (skylight, new AC, a few small leaks, some regular maintenance which we would have done anyway).

We were looking to buy a 27" FB model but found the 28" and are pleased with our purchase.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #62
VNO

1975 Argosy 24
Germantown , Tennessee
From the greatest guy in the world. Name of Case Cooper in a tiny town in Arkansas near Memphis. Marion Arkansas. I called the local chief of police to see if anyone knew him, and his father is retired State Police. I figured he couldn't be too bad He was not only not bad, he's amazing. His airstream was exactly as advertised on Craigslist; he knows airstreams inside and out, he'll buy for you if you tell him what you want; he teaches you everything he knows about airstreams; and he's a heck of a nice guy. Honest as the day is long. We are extremely pleased and appreciate his bending over backward to make sure we were happy with our 24 ft. Argosy. We may make him family now.
Eaglemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Found our on Air Forum Classified - previously owned a 1993 25' Classic Excella for over 15 years, wife and I wanted just a little more space. Found a 2002 30' Classic in LaFayette, Indiana. Drove up, spent night in A/S, drove back the following day, slightly over 1400 miles round trip total.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Wentzville , Missouri
Bought our 2010 International Serenity 23D four weeks ago at Camping World RV Sales in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Although "new," this unit had apparently been in their inventory for as long as 18 months, and may be the last new Airstream that they will ever sell at that location. We are new to all of this - rv's in general and Airstream in particular, so we have a great deal to learn. Still, we are this very minute in the 4th campground that we have had it in!
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
We were told of our Bambi II languishing in Central/West New Jersey- about an hour and a half from home.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
Sutton RV

So far a great experience. Dealt with Mark who is extremely knowledgable, and not pushy. Even helped with tow vehicle advice. When he went on vacation he even gave me his cell number which I did not call as everyone needs a break. When one spends this much money, it must be an enjoyable experience and so far it has been just that. It is a happy dealership where the employees state openly that it is a great place to work. I also felt the deal was a win win -as it should be. Am on my way to pick up my 2012 FB Flying Cloud, 25 ft. on Sept 7th.

The dealership has advised us to stay in a nearby park for two days, so that they can help with any questions or problems. Everyone has been so welcoming and accomodating that we are providing a small celebration and inviting the staff and the owner.

Had a HAHA and brake controller shipped to them for install. If all goes as it has been it will have been a wonderful buying experience.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Live in CA but found our Airstream in Arizona! Drove out over a 3 day weekend and picked it up and camped on the way home - worked out perfectly!!
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Found our on kijiji, only 45 mins drive from our house. We are in northern Manitoba.... Aprox. 9-10 hour drive straight north from the u.s border( above North Dakota ) we were so surprised to find her so close!!!!
Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We found ours on Forums classified after about six months of searching and just 35 miles away and it had only been on the road 7 times in 4 years.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to AirVintage
Our was a CL find. It had been posted on Friday, March 30th, drove 2 hours to just north of Indianapolis on Sunday (April Fool's Day) and bought it. Picked it up the following week. Took it out for a test run the weekend of April 14-15 and leaving next week for Alabama!

It is currently being repaired: A/C is being replaced, new propane tanks, wheel bearings packed, and converter replaced. Costing about $2300 total but it will be ready for departure on Thursday and we will not have to worry about a thing.

Looks like that 25% rule sticks!

Haven't thought of a name for her yet....still thinking.
TAC OH-28
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
AirVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Live in Northern California and bought our A/S in Mississippi.

We were on our initial retirement trip in a 19.5' Roadtrek Agile (like the Interstate but shorter) after a few months of living in the tiny space and deciding we were going to do 4-5 months a year we decided to move up in space.

Class "A"s were out of the question, did not want to tow a car.
5th wheels turn me off, don't want to give up the bed of the truck.
It came down to trailers and Airstream was the one and only choice.

We started kicking tires in New Jersey and wound up buying in Gulfport, MS as we were headed home. As it turned out we traded the Roadtrek for the Airstream and then purchased a truck a couple of days later.

So when we got home a couple of weeks later we'd already tow'd a couple thousand miles and camped in the Airstream in five or six states.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We were on a 5 year off and on search for a AS and gave up a year ago and got a 5th wheel SOB that needed some work.. Once home I found out I needed to replace 1/3 of all the body wood frame work as the AC system had been draining its water into the body shell since it was new as Homor at the factory had forgot to hook up the drain tube that carried the water away and down between the wall to under side of the trailer..I can weld anything but wood work is not my cup of tea... From that point on I just called them stick and staple wonders.. POS~!@

When we had some money we looked and when the pockets were empty we dreamed of having a Airstream.. Our problem was all the AS we saw that looked in our price range and condition were 1200+ miles away.. I was shock to see the high % of AS in the midwest with the poll above.. We sure did not find them.. !!!!

I spotted our 72 Overlander a few years ago off Ebay listed for $32,000.. Knew right away it was totally over priced but the photos did look like a nice unit.. Well off and on over the past 2 years I would see it listed again on Craigslist,, and again on Ebay this time for $12,000..

We had a 31 footer located in Colo late Feb,, and were due to go look at it the coming weekend.. As luck turned out a winter storm was to hit that area over the weekend so gave up on that trip as the trailer was located at 8ooo feet sw of Colo Springs.. I was just sitting at home feeling sorry for myself surfing the web.. Bang,, out of the blue I saw the Overlander again listed on Craigslist but this time for $8500.. It was within distance being just east of Lincoln Ne. to gamble and go look at it being 220 miles away. from home. It was a cold day and a very strong wind from the North Nw,, at a constant 50 mph..

The weather outside that day made a long term inspection hard to do, but forced myself to do so while my wife poked around inside.. I had fear that she would place it with what she called the "submarine syndrome" being a tunnel alleyway and too dark inside.. Several trailers we looked at before were ruled out for that reason before.. I think what saved the deal was the light oak flooring..

After a full walk around outside we met inside to visit.. I was shocked that she felt it was OK and had more storage and "just felt good". I'm sure any of you married fellows know what I was dealing with.. If mo ma is not happy,, no one is happy..

I knew the axles were weak and showed age but felt they might go a few years before needing replaced.. I was wrong.. Once we loaded it up with supplies and water the wheels seemed to suck themselves into the wheel wells.. I did kick the price down $1500 of where we started but now wish I had pushed a little more to cover the axles costs..

The next battle was where the AS was parked,, as it was being pulled out of the driveway,, the drive sloped up.. With the strong wind that day a tree was leaning hard towards the trailer.. As I slowly pulled I was watching my wife as a spotter,, and the owner but just had that gut feeling to stop.. I got out and saw that a 20" limb was just touching the top of the AS.. It took me some careful moving to release the grip of death I was faced with but got the AS out without a scratch..

The tow home was hard as we faced that 50 mph wind all the way home.. Was not impossible but added to the day and was glad to pull into our yard at dark 30..

The battery box lid hinge was broken,, and I pushed it into place the best I could and latched then used some duct tape.. The next morning when I got up I saw the battery compartment lid was hanging by one support cable and I feel another 20 miles it would have been gone.. So lucked out by a hair with that I guess.

So we got our Overlander,, its all tinkered up other than to install the new axles I got from Inland Rv.. No regrets and turned down an offer last weekend at the lake for $14,000..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #73
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Great story, sodbust! So when are we going to see a bunch of photos of where you are at so far with your Overlander, huh?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Sylvia's Rescue

We paid our dues. We tent camped with toddlers, and had wonderful family adventures with two Coleman tent trailers. Once the kids were making their own adventures we figured it was time to have more serene and comfortable adventures. We looked over the SOB offerings, but when we sat in a 20' Safari at Sky River in Paso Robles, CA, we were hooked.

The next year was spent searching, mostly on the Internet. We became adept at spotting clunkers and jewels. We continually narrowed our searches as we evaluated the features, price and age of used trailers (we couldn't swing a new, and didn't want to lose the steep depreciation of the first few years.) We found our searches limited to 25' Safaris, but we were still looking nationwide.

We were getting the most interesting hits using a nationwide Craigslist search tool. Late in 2008 we found an '06 25' Special Edition front bedroom in Pennsylvania. We then started a ten week conversation and negotiation with the owner - and it was often bizarre! He was very difficult to negotiate with, and he was living in the trailer in the Poconos in the middle of winter - often snowed in! We started thinking that we were in a hostage negotiation, trying to rescue this sweet RV from a crazy kidnapper.

He was "computer deliterate," and not able to provide the pictures we requested. Red Flag! He was asking that we pay off his loan, so with his permission I contacted the bank holding the note and the pink slip. That was the step that fixed our problem.

The fact that the bank held the title assured us that the trailer did indeed exist! The bank agent I spoke with was familiar with the PO, and tactfully reaffirmed our impressions that he was a crackpot, but that he had legitimate financial activity.

I insisted that if we were to complete the deal the bank would have to send me the title directly upon receipt of the funds, and though offended, the PO authorized the transfer. Now he was out of the deal, and all we needed from him was to get out of the trailer and put it somewhere safe.

We found a storage yard and paid for a site, and asked the PO to move the trailer there. Once the storage yard manager affirmed the trailer was there, we transferred the check and then waited nervously for a few days until the title arrived from the bank! At last we owned an Airstream ... that we still hadn't seen!

We had purchased the tow vehicle (our intrepid tow-er Sylvester) some months ahead of time, so a buddy and I set off across the country in March, two California guys surprised that the rest of the country wasn't warm and sunny as it was in San Diego when we left! We met my wife at the Columbus, OH, airport and put my buddy on a departing plane, and then headed to Stroudsburg, PA to find our trailer.

Late the next day we pulled into the storage yard, and much to our relief and delight found our sweet little Airstream shivering and lonely in the back corner. The plumbing was frozen, batteries dead, (I won't talk about the black tank) and refrigerator stocked with syringes and odd medicines. Geesh. But she was relatively unmarked and pleased to meet us.

The next day we started our first AS adventure! We were pleased to find a King Dome satellite receiver, Reese dual-cam hitch, tools, microwave and other amenities. My wife started scrubbing and I started reading the manuals. I connected the power cord to the van, and the lights worked.

I figured out how to hook up the hitch, and we tentatively started out for the local Airstream dealer 40 miles away. They gave us the two hour orientation, sold us batteries, some supplies and tools, and pronounced us ready to go!

The trip back to San Diego was one of our favorite adventures. At our first rest stop we discovered the water pump had frozen and was spraying water, so for the first leg of the trip we were without water. We spent the first night in a motel, and I kept looking out the window to assure our new lady was still there. We were so excited.

Driving through VA we decided to take a side trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway, and there we learned about turning clearance. We ran the right tire into a curb, and limped on one wheel to a nearby good 'ol boy fixit place with rusty heaps and surly dogs in the yard.

The kid working there looked over our problem and set to work, putting the spare on the aluminum wheel rather than just bolting on the spare on its steel rim, and set us on our way for just $20! Cheap lesson.

On the way we replaced the spare and had the pump fixed in Arkansas. We also learned more about maneuvering in downtown Memphis, almost taking another right turn and dragging Sylvia into a tour bus!

There was no cozier feeling than being in a dumpy little trailer park overlooking the Mississippi in a chlly rainstorm, buttoned up in our little home with a busy furnace and a bottle of port.

We found out it blows in Texas and snows in New Mexico, and you can't use cruise control in Tennessee because of the hills.

And the final adventure was parking our new trailer in our driveway! My wife went in the house and closed the blinds, and I sweated and schemed, pushed and pulled, trying to understand the archanery of trailer backing into a tight spot. Nine tries.

So this was how our adventures began with Sylvia - rescued from frozen PA and inexpertly towed to CA, but happy now as we share adventures on the western roads. Some day we plan to go to the east coast again to complete our map of states - but not in the winter. Sylvia won't have it!