Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: When your Airstream is stored outside, do you _____?
No cover used, bare naked aluminum 216 83.08%
Breathable cover used 9 3.46%
Weather resistant cover used 10 3.85%
You have inside storage 25 9.62%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs up When your Airstream is stored outside, do you ___?

For those of you who store you Airstream outside, do any of you ever use a cover?
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's been suggested that any type of cover that moves over the coating will eventually wear the coating. Even the tightest cover will flap a bit in the winds. It would be better from what I understand to keep it under a lean to or put it inside before placing a cover on it. Keep in mind I'm talking coaches built after late 1999 which have the new coatings....I'm sure vintage folks can speak about what they feel best.

Also on post 1999 coaches, it's always best to Walburnize a few times a year and get the tree sap, smashed bugs and bird droppings off in a short period of time. Again, not sure what a vintage owner might say, but I don't think they use the same Walburnize Super Seal that the post 1999 coaches use.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Ice Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
For those of you who store you Airstream outside, do any of you ever use a cover?
We don't use a cover. I'd read in other threads exactly what was mentioned in the post above.

Once our last storm was over I had to shake off a few tree limbs. The limbs are higher than they look in the attached photo. Guess the chainsaw will be coming out this spring.

Rich
Attached Images

WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
We do not use a cover, unless you consider several inches of snow a cover.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
How can you go inside and play if you have a cover over it!
Attached Images

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just a thought. We just got done with the boat show here at the convention center and it was really interesting to see how they covered the boats that were being pulled out. They covered them with some type of white plastic. Once it was secured they went over all of the plastic with some type of gun which shot out a wide flame under pressure. As they waved the gun and flame over the plastic, it shrunk tight. Sort of the concept of the temporary plastic window liners that you heat with a hair dryer.

Now if you could do this with your Airstream you might be in pretty good shape for the winter. I don't see this plastic moving and flapping. It is a one use solution since you cut it off and pitch the plastic away.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
many have vinyl or other canopies instead. Mine has been terrific for a year and a half, inexpensive, and really saved maintenance on the upper finish. I say ixnay the coveray.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9624
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Fort Myers , Florida
Send a message via AIM to JeepinAudiophile Send a message via Yahoo to JeepinAudiophile
When I drove to pick up my 68' Tradewind we got there and found an odd blackening shaded in strange shapes of the skin. It was from having a tarp over it and the wind flapping, it caused the bare aluminum (no clear cote) to tarnish quicker or something. It comes right of with some NuVite and elbow grease (or the Cyclo I bought) but i'd say in any case no cover(other than a lean-tu or similar) is best in my book. And the poll seems to agree, all 27 people that have voted, have voted for no cover. --Chad--

WBCCI # 13657
++Take a look at my restoration photo album++
https://picasaweb.google.com/ChadsAirstream
JeepinAudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Here's what we use--course now the front is enclosed & it's covered in snow. we keep the front cover off during the summer season for easier access. I put in a 30amp electrial service from the panel in the garage, so we can use the 115v system while storage. Yes, it was a little expensive ($500) give or take, but we like the fact it's covered. Given the overall investment, it not much.
Best,
Attached Images

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Bought and tried to put up 36 foot long metal frame with fabric cover but our county officials made us take it down. It is not permitted without a building permit. All they want is money.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
That's why we went with this type of cover. Even tho we have 4+ acres, we couldn't put up another structure, so we went " temp", so far so good. Yeah, money & power, Red or Blue, thier all the same.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #12
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
How about updating this poll?
Can we run it again?

Thanx, Bill
Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My trailer is mostly stored undercover at the RV storage yard. It has been in front of the house for the past few weeks because I am working on a few items and we are going camping this weekend. While it is in front of the house, it wears slippers on it's feet. Nothing worst for a tire then the Arizona sun!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
Certifiable

. , .
I know the thread is two years old now but does anybody know anything about WayWard Wind's "temp" enclosure @ $500? How is it anchored?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
We finally got indoor storage last fall year after spending 3 years outdoors. I'd have to admit that I've had more issues on my 2004 unit that I had on my 2001. The 2001 always spent the off season (6 months) inside with no roof releated issues during the three years I owned it.

The 2004 so far has had a skylight leak in the bathroom area, a skylight leak and subsequent failure of that skylight in the kitchen area, and my air conditioner cover is toast due to UV exposure.

Happily not only were we under cover for the winter but for the forseeable future will be there year round. I think the freeze thaw cycle plays havoc with any roof penetrations. And UV, is just a year round issue. I just think an AC cover should have held out a little longer than it did. We aren't in the desert southwest here.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-18-2007, 11:40 AM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
We finally got indoor storage last fall year after spending 3 years outdoors. I'd have to admit that I've had more issues on my 2004 unit that I had on my 2001. The 2001 always spent the off season (6 months) inside with no roof releated issues during the three years I owned it.

The 2004 so far has had a skylight leak in the bathroom area, a skylight leak and subsequent failure of that skylight in the kitchen area, and my air conditioner cover is toast due to UV exposure.

Happily not only were we under cover for the winter but for the forseeable future will be there year round. I think the freeze thaw cycle plays havoc with any roof penetrations. And UV, is just a year round issue. I just think an AC cover should have held out a little longer than it did. We aren't in the desert southwest here.

Jack
Other than keeping the AS little cleaner, I was going to ask if there is any REAL advantge to using a cover.
I guess Jack kind of answered that...

Any other folks have similiar experince?

Surprisingly, poll results show a vast majority use NO cover! We should have included those that use INSIDE storage also...for some reason that option was not included.

My current cover was shredded during the storm we have been stuck in these last few day and I am considering what to do next. I always used the cover because we got a lot of black stains from over hanging trees. But the trees were trimmed back this year, and now that my cover is destroyed, I am not so sure I will replace it...

Thanx, Bill
Old 04-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
We use a similar steel pole rib with vinyl cover structure as above. It is anchored to an old barn pad with 12 inch concrete anchors. Keep the Safari nice and dry through the winter. And I can store bins of camping gear in behind it.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Other than keeping the AS little cleaner, I was going to ask if there is any REAL advantge to using a cover.
I guess Jack kind of answered that...

Any other folks have similiar experince?

Surprisingly, poll results show a vast majority use NO cover! We should have included those that use INSIDE storage also...for some reason that option was not included.
Thanx, Bill
Obviously my luck may have some to do with the quality of the work performed at installation time plus what I consider a inferior shroud (interestingly enough Duo-Therm while having a 3 year warranty only warrants the shrouds for 90 days). Granted getting the unit under cover has major benefit in other areas. For example I don't get the shakes when we get those severe storm forcasts which include hail.

FYI I added an inside storage option to the poll.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera

Jack
I do live in the desert southwest, and am concerned about the constant sun. Will it cause any permanent damage to the exterior of my Bambi?
rambn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
All vintage trailers leak somewhere (sounds like some new ones do too), so we have ours under one of those $100 vinyl carports. It is fastened to the shop on one side, and the feet on the other side are held down by rods pounded through the feet into the ground. It didn't budge all winter, even after a bad windstorm storm tore the side panel off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2698.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	35798  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote