View Poll Results: When your Airstream is stored outside, do you _____?
No cover used, bare naked aluminum 209 84.27%
Breathable cover used 8 3.23%
Weather resistant cover used 10 4.03%
You have inside storage 21 8.47%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 06:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
With the reappearance of this thread, I thought I would add how our Bambi is stored. Outside, in the rain and sun (we do not have snow here at home), with pounds of tree pollen, needles, twigs, and leaves falling on and becoming resident on it. It is washed moderately regularly with a weak-kneed power washer and wiped down. No soap or detergent, but Walbernized 2-3 times a year. As mentioned in the thread where Silvertwinkie has documented his horrible corrosion problems, we have had no corrosion problems.

The white roof paint oxidizes slightly, but Walbernize takes that off. We replaced a deteriorated (probably UV-caused) AC shroud (cover) which leaked. That was cheap and easy. Smears of caulking on the roof are now crumbling, but not yet in the critical areas.

I like having the Bambi in the open because I can inspect everything easily at any time. That seems particularly important now that I need to keep and eye on that caulking.

Following the thread discussing Silvertwinkie's and others' corrosion problems, I have begun to wonder if it wasn't just a bad batch of clearcoated aluminum Airstream received from the supplier around 2003 or 2004.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
How about hail?
Here in NM I am more concerned about hail than rain, wind or snow. Anybody have any experience on how an vinyl shelter stands up to a good hailstorm?

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
How about hail?
Here in NM I am more concerned about hail than rain, wind or snow. Anybody have any experience on how an vinyl shelter stands up to a good hailstorm?
The intense sun dries out vinyl and it cracks. I don't think yinyl would hold up well at all. In Florida, I park ours under a metal carport, the metal roof steel is painted on both sides and the supports are of 3 inch galvanized tubing and the carport is 4 feet longer than our trailer. It keeps the sun off and it protects the trailer in case of hail. Our carport is 28 feet long, 10 feet high at the sides, 13 feet high in the center and cost around $850, including delivery and set up.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I spent 3 years rebuilding my barn so, of course, my Safari gets to live inside during the winter months. That puts it close to all my tools so I get to "putz" on it at my leisure. That part of the barn is unheated so I keep one or two 40 watt light bulbs burning in it all the time. At temperatures of 10 to 15 degrees the lights keep the interior in the mid 40's and provide needed air circulation. Not sure yet what I will do when the gov'ment makes incandescent bulbs illegal?????? I have them "heating" two trailers right now and have used them to keep my welding rod dry.
Sam
Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #33
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Tradewind
The intense sun dries out vinyl and it cracks. I don't think yinyl would hold up well at all. In Florida, I park ours under a metal carport, the metal roof steel is painted on both sides and the supports are of 3 inch galvanized tubing and the carport is 4 feet longer than our trailer. It keeps the sun off and it protects the trailer in case of hail. Our carport is 28 feet long, 10 feet high at the sides, 13 feet high in the center and cost around $850, including delivery and set up.
Hi TW, Can you PM me details of that carport?
That sounds nice...

Thanx, Bill
Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
If we are not traveling our Airstream is in it's stall in our barn. We built our barn to house Airstreams (ours, my folks and if my folks aren't here, my sister's Argosy Minuet 6.0). We really love our Airstreams....

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb
I spent 3 years rebuilding my barn so, of course, my Safari gets to live inside during the winter months. That puts it close to all my tools so I get to "putz" on it at my leisure. That part of the barn is unheated so I keep one or two 40 watt light bulbs burning in it all the time. At temperatures of 10 to 15 degrees the lights keep the interior in the mid 40's and provide needed air circulation. Not sure yet what I will do when the gov'ment makes incandescent bulbs illegal?????? I have them "heating" two trailers right now and have used them to keep my welding rod dry.
Sam
Start stocking up on spare bulbs now