View Poll Results: When your Airstream is stored outside, do you _____?
No cover used, bare naked aluminum 209 84.27%
Breathable cover used 8 3.23%
Weather resistant cover used 10 4.03%
You have inside storage 21 8.47%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We finally got indoor storage last fall year after spending 3 years outdoors. I'd have to admit that I've had more issues on my 2004 unit that I had on my 2001. The 2001 always spent the off season (6 months) inside with no roof releated issues during the three years I owned it.

The 2004 so far has had a skylight leak in the bathroom area, a skylight leak and subsequent failure of that skylight in the kitchen area, and my air conditioner cover is toast due to UV exposure.

Happily not only were we under cover for the winter but for the forseeable future will be there year round. I think the freeze thaw cycle plays havoc with any roof penetrations. And UV, is just a year round issue. I just think an AC cover should have held out a little longer than it did. We aren't in the desert southwest here.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
We finally got indoor storage last fall year after spending 3 years outdoors. I'd have to admit that I've had more issues on my 2004 unit that I had on my 2001. The 2001 always spent the off season (6 months) inside with no roof releated issues during the three years I owned it.

The 2004 so far has had a skylight leak in the bathroom area, a skylight leak and subsequent failure of that skylight in the kitchen area, and my air conditioner cover is toast due to UV exposure.

Happily not only were we under cover for the winter but for the forseeable future will be there year round. I think the freeze thaw cycle plays havoc with any roof penetrations. And UV, is just a year round issue. I just think an AC cover should have held out a little longer than it did. We aren't in the desert southwest here.

Jack
Other than keeping the AS little cleaner, I was going to ask if there is any REAL advantge to using a cover.
I guess Jack kind of answered that...

Any other folks have similiar experince?

Surprisingly, poll results show a vast majority use NO cover! We should have included those that use INSIDE storage also...for some reason that option was not included.

My current cover was shredded during the storm we have been stuck in these last few day and I am considering what to do next. I always used the cover because we got a lot of black stains from over hanging trees. But the trees were trimmed back this year, and now that my cover is destroyed, I am not so sure I will replace it...

Thanx, Bill

Old 04-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
We use a similar steel pole rib with vinyl cover structure as above. It is anchored to an old barn pad with 12 inch concrete anchors. Keep the Safari nice and dry through the winter. And I can store bins of camping gear in behind it.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Other than keeping the AS little cleaner, I was going to ask if there is any REAL advantge to using a cover.
I guess Jack kind of answered that...

Any other folks have similiar experince?

Surprisingly, poll results show a vast majority use NO cover! We should have included those that use INSIDE storage also...for some reason that option was not included.
Thanx, Bill
Obviously my luck may have some to do with the quality of the work performed at installation time plus what I consider a inferior shroud (interestingly enough Duo-Therm while having a 3 year warranty only warrants the shrouds for 90 days). Granted getting the unit under cover has major benefit in other areas. For example I don't get the shakes when we get those severe storm forcasts which include hail.

FYI I added an inside storage option to the poll.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
el centro , California
Quote:

Jack
I do live in the desert southwest, and am concerned about the constant sun. Will it cause any permanent damage to the exterior of my Bambi?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
All vintage trailers leak somewhere (sounds like some new ones do too), so we have ours under one of those $100 vinyl carports. It is fastened to the shop on one side, and the feet on the other side are held down by rods pounded through the feet into the ground. It didn't budge all winter, even after a bad windstorm storm tore the side panel off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2698.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	35798  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We have been having some heavy winds the last few days. My cover, which has survived 10 years (?) was finally shredded when I got home today.
We don't have any leaks so I was considering not replacing it.
It is a tight fit with the 25', even lifted up the AC just clears the top pole.
I don't want to accelerate any possible leaks or corrosion though. But it looks like most folks don't bother with covers; do all you "bare naked aluminum" folks have any leaks?
What is the reason you don't cover up?

Bill
Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
This is our first year with an Airstream. It was fine uncovered parked on the side of our house. Then Winter and Snow. We brushed and brushed and brushed the snow off. Then we decided...enough of keeping the snow off.

We purchased from Harbor Freight a Vinyl Carport similar to Stefrobrts. It is still in the box. I believe $200. It has been nasty and we are waiting for warmer weather.

Perhaps we will leave uncovered until Winter. First time experience. Don't have good or bad comments at this time. Will keep you posted.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
I don't get the shakes when we get those severe storm forcasts which include hail.

FYI I added an inside storage option to the poll.

Jack
In the last year, we found indoor storage, too. Such peace of mind!

Randi
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #24
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
no cover...
I live close by the water and not too much trees around to cut the wind, so if I put a cover on it it would have been... (I should have done that, how I didn't think at it) Polished...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
We have been having some heavy winds the last few days. My cover, which has survived 10 years (?) was finally shredded when I got home today.
We don't have any leaks so I was considering not replacing it.
It is a tight fit with the 25', even lifted up the AC just clears the top pole.
I don't want to accelerate any possible leaks or corrosion though. But it looks like most folks don't bother with covers; do all you "bare naked aluminum" folks have any leaks?
What is the reason you don't cover up?

Bill
Mainly because I haven't decided which way to go on a cover. I do plan on getting one at some point, with or without the leak that showed up last weekend.
Dave
Old 04-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, indoor storage or storage under some sort of cover (not cover applied directly to the shell) is best to protect the unit from hail and misc things, but in all honesty, my Safari has been treated like a baby....cared for very well, to the point of being ACD.

It's indoors more months out of the year than out (maybe 3 weeks on average per year) and frankly, given the nightmare issues I'm having with the exterior finish, I really think it just doesn't matter much, other than my piece of mind when bad storms roll in to have it under cover. Vintage units, sure, big benefit, but for the new ones with the new coating, based on Andy from Inland's post what Airstream was suppose to have said about the newer Alcoa coating, makes me really wonder if it's all worth it.......really.

Sorry I sound so down, I'm just totally floored looking at my Airstream these days having just got back from seeing it in storage and seeing the finish deteriorate even further.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Sorry to hear your Airstream finish has deteriorated. I read the poll and it appears most people Do NOT cover. Your rig is still beautiful..we all experince "unwanted blemishes".
Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Looks like a great solution...unless you are in tornado alley.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote