Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: tow vehicle tonnage
1/2 ton 342 44.07%
3/4 ton 336 43.30%
1 ton 98 12.63%
Voters: 776. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #101
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Conversion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh350
I would like to hear more about that Propane Powered Honda EU2000i you have, did you buy it that way or convert it?
Would that be this Conversion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE_CONVERSION,_HONDA_2000_001.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	58991  
Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 PM   #102
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Todd , North Carolina
Has this ever happened to you?

I was towing my 27 FB classic at about 50-55 mph in MO heading for Branson. I noticed an appendage sticking out of the side of the Airstream about window high. At the next opportunity I pulled over to investigate. What I found was the window had disenegrated (tempered glass) and what I had seen in my mirror was the operating or support arm. I had made 2 checks for locked windows and my wife had made one. I believe the window was properly latched. I pulled into Home Depot going into Branson and bought a sheet of 1/16 plexiglass, aluminum duct tape, a fine tooth saw and made a very serviceable repair. In favt, from a distance, you cannot tell the difference. Has anyone else ever had a window shatter like this?
evsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by evsjr View Post
Has anyone else ever had a window shatter like this?
Twice. The small windows beneath both of the living room windows shattered. One of them while it was parked, and had been for about a month.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Yes recently, back in the winter, on a trip south on I-95 I lost the forward most side window very similar to your description as was the fix. I was just North of DonMar, but unfortunately for me it was a window in the sideout and they didn't have one to fit. They did show me how it was removed and replaced which was a big help. Insurance paid for the window and I replaced it at home in less than 10 minutes.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Tow Limits - Tow Capacity

With all of the continuing discussions about tow Vehicles, I thought I would post this link to and article in “Trailer Life” that you can reference on the web.

This link is posted for informational purposes only:

Trailer Life Magazine: America's Number One RV Magazine

The debate and revelations continue here:

Trailer Life Magazine: America's Number One RV Magazine

Finally, all is condensed (with the actual 2008 Trailer Life Rating Guide)
here: (WARNING - the PDF file is about 20 megs, while downloading my counter went up to about 30 megs - not for a wimpy dial up connection)

http://www.trailerlife.com/digitaled...wGuide0801.pdf

The PDF's of the previous years were only about 50 to 200 kb, and I have them back to 2000 - PM me if you really need a copy.

Also note the HUGE differences in vehicles of the same genre - an example - a Ford F-150 could be had with a Tow Rating from a measly 2,400 lbs up to a bruising 11,000 lbs. It is certainly buyer beware before hooking up to ANY vehicle to tow your trailer - more and more it is important to actually do your homework - as one of the accompanying articles states "...for many vehicles the maximum tow rating is optimistic."

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
It doesnt surrprise me 1/2 and 3/4 ton are so close. I wonder how many people are towing within there gcwr rateing or are up against the max and useing the built in safety
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #107
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rising Fawn , Georgia
Chevy 2500HD Duramax. No problem.

Also have a V8 VW Touareg that I have not tried yet. It has a 7700 lb rating so it should handle the 5200 lb Safari SS. I'm still working up the nerve.
AIR #17143
TAC #G-15
StanandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #108
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemontree View Post
Also have a V8 VW Touareg that I have not tried yet. It has a 7700 lb rating so it should handle the 5200 lb Safari SS. I'm still working up the nerve.

Quote from Garth Cane (technical writer for RV Lifestyles mag):

"We borrowed a 30-foot Classic Airstream travel trailer equipped with a Hensley hitch from Andy and Kirk Thomson at Can-Am RV in London for our test of the Touareg. We weighed the combination at the Flying "J" scale on Highbury Ave in London to be sure that we were within the 7700 pound design limts of the Touareg’s towing capacity. The Airstream came in at 6700 pounds giving us another 1000 pounds of load carrying capability for food and clothing.

This SUV was a delight to drive, both solo and with a trailer in tow. I had to watch that I did not accelerate too quickly with so much power available at the wheels. The Touareg handled the trailer very well in sudden lane changes at highway speeds with no body roll or diving in the corners.

This is one fantastic tow vehicle that can tow a substantial trailer like the Airstream without any effort and in complete comfort".
Old 08-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
TV Labels

I wonder if the traditional 1/2 and 3/4 labels will start to be phased out over time? As a number of folks point out in this thread, they no longer describe the true load capacity across the model range of a given manufacturer's truck line. As a serious question, does a ton literally still mean 2000 pounds? I tell folks I have a body on frame TV, with a small block V8 and 3.73 rearend, whose owner's manual claims a 1200 lb payload and 7100 lb max towing capacity, but no one will ever call it a half ton truck! But it is a quite capable tow vehicle for a smaller TT.

Gas price impacts will surely affect the future availability of "truck-like" vehicles, and many think truck-based SUVs will start going away. And smaller pickups seem likely. The auto magazines say Ford may bring in the F-100 name again, to designate a mid-sized pickup like the Dodge Dakota.

Most RV makers have a lightweight product series or two, designed to be pulled with a smaller TV, but I can't imagine a really big shift to smaller TTs. If the manufacturers take out the "middle" TVs, these spirited discussions on towing could become even more exciting - perhaps leaving us with only the "real truck" and "crossover" camps!

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #110
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our 21 year old F250 (hey, it can buy its own booze now) has a tow rating of 8600 pounds, or 6700 pounds, depending on which owner's manual you look at. Both are in the glove compartment, in the little carrying case Ford give you when you buy a new truck, both are for the truck. I guess it depends on which book I look in whether or not I can tow our Sovereign with it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #111
Kyautomator

1996 25' Excella
arizona City , Arizona
I, like so many others have overloaded my trucks for years, I have my A/S but several other trailers, I finally bought a 93 Freightliner FL120, Single axle, 9 sp air ride 350 cummins, I can cruise at 70 pulling anything with the A/C on and cruise, and stop in an emergency, I get about 12 mpg doing it...... Yes I use my Suburban for pulling the A/S but only because it is a 25'. If it was a 31 or lrger I would use the Freightshaker for it. Paid 6K for it. And with the law Calif just passed, (Nothing over 10 years old) there is going to be a lot of big trucks for sale soon, really cheap.

People might think I am odd but I am safe.

Kevin
kyautomator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyautomator View Post
And with the law Calif just passed, (Nothing over 10 years old) there is going to be a lot of big trucks for sale soon, really cheap.
Leave it to the treehuggers in California to come up with more ignorant legislation.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #113
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
john HD is that a heavy half? that you tow with.

currently i tow with a 2000 silverado 1500 Z71 but something is going to have to change in the next 6 months to a year.
i will ether have to replace my tranny (4L60E) with one that has heavy duty internals
or the whole truck if i go with a new truck i will ether get a 04 to early 07 3/4 ton duramax long bed or i will get a same year models GMC Denali and add airbags to the rear suspension and up grade the brakes.
but everything depends on how the economy goes right now.
the replacement tranny is winning and that's something i can do in an afternoon.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote