Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Question What would you do?

I'm posing this question, because I'm not sure of what I would do myself:

If you owned a 1986 Sovereign that has been totally refurbished on the inside, has been totally recaulked and new gaskets on the outside, would you:

1. Keep it and buff the outside to an okay shine (not a polished shine) and tweek the little stuff on the outside.

or:
2. Sell it and buy the 1979 Excella that's nearby that has been refurbished inside but not outside. With the extra proceeds from the sale of the 1986, a polish job could probably be obtained and I wouldn't have to do it (been there, done that). I love a polished trailer, but the 1986 would have to be sanded on the endcaps before polishing & I don't think I'm up to it anymore.

I like the cabinets in the 1986, I like the aluminum & rivets better on the older units. Guy says the frame is good (had it apart for floor repair in rear).
It's on ebay right now if you want to check it out.

Opinions please.......

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Guy says the frame is good (had it apart for floor repair in rear).
FWIW, lots of folks have said that when the reality was something different.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
If you did your renovations inside, you'd probably want to keep your own work rather than buying somebody else work. I suspect the desire to have a polished twinkie will diminish until you have the strength to do it yourself.
Perry
Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's 'the devil you know vs the devil you don't', or is it 'the grass is always greener...'?

Depends on how much you love the polished look, and how much work you want to do to catch up to where you already are. I think functionality over looks, so if the 86 was working, I say go camping and forget the shine

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think you're trading apples for oranges. If it were me, I'd keep what I had, knowing what I've got, rather than getting hold of a "project".
If the two trailers are virtually identical, except for the shine, I'd save my pennies, and get the one I had polished up.
You asked for opinions, and you knwo what they say about opinions...
Old 02-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
I'm with the majority on this one. [There's a switch!] I think you should keep what you know and understand in favor for a shiny maybe. Save the pennies and hire the polish.

Is there a vocational high school nearby that teaches body repair? [In NY they're called BOCES] Maybe you could work a deal with the teacher for a donation toward the program while the kids "practice" on your 'stream.
Or.....
Maybe one or more of the students [as reccomended by the teacher] needs a little cash. I had a nice old cedar strip rowboad stripped of many coats of hideous paint, inside and out to the bare wood a few years back. The kid and his friends worked on it on breaks and after school. The teacher kept an eye on them and they did a superb job.

John / N2XBW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure I'd trust my AS to high schoolers (I've gone through 4 of my own & don't think I'd trust them!). The guy who is selling the '79 Excella says he's an aircraft mechanic. Hummm....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote