Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #43
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Hitch

As I was saying an earlier post.I am almost to the lowest setting but there is tension a little bit and I have no sway whatsoever on mine,That airsuspension takes care of the rest.Also .. How is it that metals are cheaper.than those from 35 years ago.I am hoping with advance technology the metals have become lighter and stronger.It seems that since this trailer is being used so much over the years wouldnt loading gear,People walking in an out of the trailer,driving over rough roads.Pulling for long distances,ETC,ETC,ETC,and depending on how much you take care of your vehicle depend on how it would last.Also what about the factory messup that they can hide within the walls and those failures finally give over time such as a weak weld.It just seems to me that everything plays a part and I am not going to worry about it.Most people on here are doing great with the equalizer hitch and the best part about it is that it can be adjusted to how you want it..
If you were to loosen it up a bit wouldnt take a bit of pressure off the trailer?
I am still curious as to what we are all doing wrong.Even though the company says that it is the right way to go.Thanks All

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Equal-i-zer Responds!

Thanks everyone for your input so far.

3Dog' made the call and I sent them the email question last night.
Here is Progressive Mfg. Inc.'s prompt and thorough reply:

Bill,

Thank you for contacting Progress Mfg Inc. with your questions about the Equal-i-zer Hitch. At your request, our free demonstration DVD will be sent to you.

Your Question:
"I just placed a factory build order for a 2007 23' Airstream Safari SE LS.
It has a GVWR of 6000 lbs. and a Hitch Wt (without options or variable wt.) of 600 lbs.
I have ordered options such as 2 Solar Panels, AGM batteries, Full Awning 3-side Pkg.
And I expect to be doing some boondocking and will carry water, generators, etc.
My tow vehicle is the 2006 F-250 PSD 4x2.
My dealer will install the Equal-i-zer WD Hitch.
What size Equal-i-zer would be best for my rig: 600 lb. or 1000 lb. and why?
Thank you and please send your video."

Answer:
Every Equal-i-zer Hitch has two Maximum Weight Ratings to comply with for selecting the appropriate model to use: Maximum Trailer Weight and Maximum Tongue Weight. You should select whichever hitch model that has both weight ratings higher than your loaded weights. It is also advisable to consider your possible maximum weights to ensure that you have the correct hitch for your heaviest possible trailer weights.

The 6,000 lb. Hitch is rated to handle up to 6,000 lbs. in Maximum Trailer Weight. If this is all you were considering, then this hitch would be a good match for the 6,000 lb. GVWR on your Airstream trailer. However, it is more important that you consider tongue weight, since for most people the tongue weight will usually exceed the Equal-i-zer's hitch ratings sooner than a trailer weight would. This is due to the fact that tongue weight is usually 10-15% of the trailer weight.

Your trailer when completely empty already has a tongue weight of 600 lbs., which is right at the maximum of what a 6,000 lb. Equal-i-zer Hitch can handle. Your tongue weight will certainly increase as you add cargo (food, dishes, gear, water, etc.), which would result in more tongue weight than the 6,000 lb. Hitch is capable of handling. You can rule out using the 6,000 lb. Hitch and at least start with the 10,000 lb. Hitch. It doesn't matter if your whole trailer weighs less than 6,000 lbs. if your tongue weight is more than 600 lbs. You need to select the hitch model where your loaded tongue weight will not exceed the Maximum Tongue Weight rating.

You may even consider using the 12,000 lb. Hitch as well, if you suspect that your loaded tongue weight may even reach or exceed 1,000 lbs. Do you know what the Unloaded Base Weight (UBW) is for this trailer? You can compare the dry hitch weight of 600 lbs. to the UBW of the dry trailer to calculate what the natural tongue weight percentage is for your trailer. Some recent Airstream models have a fairly heavy tongue weight, being right at 15% of the trailer weight.

Although tongue weight usually increases with the addition of cargo, the rate at which it increases depends on where that cargo is placed. Tongue weight percentage may increase or decrease depending on where you load the bulk of your cargo. More cargo in the front of your trailer will result in a heavier tongue weight (higher percentage), while more cargo in the rear of the trailer can result in a lighter tongue weight (lower percentage). If you evenly load your cargo front to back in the trailer to keep it balanced, then you will end up with about the same tongue weight percentage that you started out with, except that it will be more in pounds. In other words, both the trailer and the tongue weight will increase proportionately with each other if your cargo is loaded evenly.

If you evenly load up to 6,000 lbs. and have a 15% tongue weight, this would result in a 900 lb. max loaded tongue weight. However, if more cargo needs to be loaded in front of the trailer's axles (including water), then the percentage will increase, as will the resulting tongue weight in pounds. If the tongue weight percentage increased to 17% on a 6,000 lb. loaded trailer, then the tongue weight would now reach 1,020 lbs.

In all likelihood you will only need our 10,000 lb. Hitch, as people rarely load enough cargo to reach the GVWR. It is optional to select the 12,000 lb. Hitch instead, although this would not provide any increase performance or added safety. The only benefit you would gain is the ability to handle more weight in the future. For this very reason, some people will intentionally purchase a heavier hitch model even though their current trailer weights don't require it, and they do this because they plan to switch to a heavier trailer in the future. The heavier hitch can be reused on a heavier trailer instead of having to buy a whole new hitch.

I hope this information has been helpful in making your selection. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Josh Jones
Progress Mfg Inc.
Customer Support
1-800-478-5578
jjones@progressmfg.com

Well... there you have it!
SilverGate

Old 11-29-2006, 05:45 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I emailed them too

I sent Josh the following email this morning. Perhaps he will become a member & post the company's response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 5:40 AM
To: 'jjones@progressmfg.com'
Subject: Different spring bars for heavier suspensions?

Josh,

There is an on-going discussion at Airstreamforums.com regarding the proper spring bars to use when the tow vehicle (TV) has a very stiff suspension. One group of campers feel that the hitch & corresponding spring bars should match or exceed the trailer’s GVWR & tongue weight without any regard for the TV. The other group feels that a heavy suspension system, like that found on a ¾ ton or larger truck, must be considered when choosing the proper spring bars. Interesting points have been raised on both sides of the issue.

If we were to look at nothing but tongue weight and the type of TV involved, does Progress Mfg. Inc. ever see the need for selecting different rating spring bars for the Equal-i-zer hitch? Why?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I sent Josh the following email this morning. Perhaps he will become a member & post the company's response.
Josh from Progress Mfg.replied to TomW, in part as follows.
Quote:
There is no consideration for tow vehicle or suspension stiffness that would alter hitch model selection.
REALLY

That is without a doubt, one of the most misguided piece of towing information that I have ever heard in over 40 years.

Wow, tell me the same hitch is used on a older standard size car and a Peterbilt?

Common sense tells otherwise.

The tow vehicle setup has an enormous effect on what hitch rating you must use.

So much for information from a hitch manufacturer. USELESS and misleading, at least from them.

We already have owners that have posted a difference in different bar ratings, that are very positive.

Andy
Old 11-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
What about a Hensely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
If your bars are not bending about an inch, then they are too heavy.

You should have 750 pound bars.

Also, you might try riding in the front of the coach at about 60 miles an hours over a road that's not too smooth.

You will probably find the front end of the trailer is getting pounded.

All research data says it will.

Andy
Does this concept apply to a Hensely hitch or is that another animal?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I was hoping that Josh would post the response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Josh from Progress Mfg.replied to TomW...
Yes. Yes he did and it was rather lengthy. Too lengthy, in fact, to fit in one post.

It is attached below in text format. 'Notepad' will open it.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: txt Equal-i-zer.txt (15.6 KB, 374 views)
Old 11-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I will note that I did not realize that the spring bars on an Equal-i-zer were not interchangeable on a given drawbar like they are on a Reese hitch.

Now I understand why this thread was started in the first place.

Tom
Old 11-30-2006, 06:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Why this thread was started...

Yes, TomW, that's why Canoe stream said this might be like comparing apples with oranges (re: htiches) in my thread about my newly ordered Airstream.

I indeed started this thread because I wanted to hear directly from those who bought and use the Equal-izer WD Hitch, to feel confident that I will attach the correct Equal-i-zer hitch when my Airstream arrives.

It was also helpful to hear explanations directly from the maker of Equal-izer, Progress Mfg. Inc. Their Customer Support person, Josh Jones, provided two lenghty and thorough replies. Thanks TomW for including the link to Josh's reply in your post above. I encourage all to take a moment and read it.

BTW, Andy quoted only part of the sentence...
Josh said, "There is no consideration for tow vehicle or suspension stiffness that would alter hitch model selection, although it is expected that the person would be using a tow vehicle (and receiver) that is also adequate to handle the weights of the trailer. The bottom line is, no matter what tow vehicle you are using, the hitch should be properly rated to handle the weights of the trailer."

I sent a thank you today to Josh:
"Thank you so much for your detailed answer to the various concerns raised in the Airstream Knowledge Sharing Forums regarding selecting the proper size Equal-i-zer WD Hitch (TomW posted the link to your reply).

You are right. I started this thread because I wanted to feel confident that I chose the correct size Equal-izer Hitch when I placed my Airstream factory build order with Southwest Coaches in Irvine, CA on 11-22-06. At that time I specified that I wanted the 1000 lbs. WD Equalizer Hitch. When I posted details of my order and hitch on this forum (under Airstream Travel Trailers, Safari, 2007 Safari SE), I got many congrats... and a comment from Canoe stream that I should mull over my choice of the 1000 lbs. hitch for this trailer... in that I and my trailer might have a smoother ride by using a lighter hitch. That got me reading another interesting thread with mathematical equations on this forum under Towing, TV, Hitches, etc.... "Load distribution hitches - an analysis".
As interesting as that was, I wanted to hear directly from people who actually bought and use the Equal-izer Hitch. That is why I started the thread "What size Equal-izer Hitch do you have..."

After reading how happy Equal-izer Hitch users are with their specific choice and experience and after reading your very thorough and understandable explanation, I feel confident that the Equal-izer 1000 llb. WD Hitch will work just fine for my pending Airstream."

SilverGate
Old 11-30-2006, 06:13 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
What a cool thread to read through. So nice to see it not go the way most towing threads go and actually clarify instead of confuse.

I have to give a shout out to Josh at progressive for taking the time to answer as he did, really outstading, that must have taken a while.

b.

edit* spellering

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #52
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Lightbulb

Depends on your trailer weight.
I use a Reese WD 1200 bars, with a 14,000 pound ball and 12,000 pound shank and head. the truck has a 12,500 reciever.
My trailer max weight is 10,000.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
...I indeed started this thread because I wanted to hear directly from those who bought and use the Equal-izer WD Hitch, to feel confident that I will attach the correct Equal-i-zer hitch when my Airstream arrives...
You will attach the recommended hitch sold by Equalizer to your to your tow vehicle. Your TV does not care what you slide in the receiver.

Your Airstream may not be as happy about it depending on your tow vehicle.

Perhaps it is my schooling that gives me insight into what Andy is saying. I personally thought that sharing my bent A-frame observation would help epitomize his point in a more relatable way.

This is an Equalizer thread. In lieu of further observations, I will close with the fact that I am happy I have an adjustable hitch.

Tom
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks TomW and all who contributed!

Thank you, TomW for sharing your bent A-frame experience/observation…
that you attribute to "over-hitching".

I note that you are now happy with your adjustable Reese Dual-Cam Hitch.
I was fascinated reading about your experience and seeing the close-up photos of this hitch at:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/Reese.htm
(which is a link found on your ’67 Overlander web site noted in your post above).

You’re right this thread was set up to poll Equal-i-zer (Brand) WD Hitch users…
To assist me and all who come after me in selecting the correct size Equal-i-zer Hitch.

Others with other brands have joined in and I enjoyed hearing their input…
While enjoying a sip of wine around this campfire…
Threads don’t always stay on the specific question/issue raised.
But I thank you and all who have contributed…
And added to our knowledge base!

Now let’s pour some more wine.

SilverGate
Old 12-01-2006, 04:27 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
After reading Josh's lengthy explanation - which was not only extremely thorough but easily understandable - I'm very glad I have an Equalizer. There is no doubt they have knowledgeable people on staff. After reading back through this string and Josh's responses, I'm also certain I have the right hitch - 1000 lb'er. It seems to me that whether you attach your hitch to a VW Bug or a freight train, if your hitch can't handle the load of your trailer, your hitch can't handle the load of your trailer. No need to overcomplicate it.

You wouldn't pull a little red wagon with dental floss just to avoid damaging the wagon, would you? On the flip side, if you pull it with a metal pipe, there's no way the stiffer handle could possibly damage it if you keep it on a relatively smooth surface and don't overload it, which is exactly the way we're supposed to treat our Airstreams, right?

I think the whole trailer damage issue depends on the angle to which your hitch is adjusted, not the weight rating. Too much tension on the bars is the only way you could damage anything - and then you might, just maybe, somehow, bend your couple upwards, it seems, if you're way, way out of whack. Short of that, I'll just mentally keep pulling my little red wagon with the steel pipe handle.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #56

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm a heavy weight with my slide and I'm using a 14,000 lb. rated Equal-i-zer. My bars are rated for 1,400 lbs. With my hitch weight at 1,250+ I find that this setup and a class V receiver on my 3/4 ton van does an excellent job.

I used a Reese Dual-Cam for many years and to me, trying to lump the two together in regards to overhitching is really not a good comparison. Most Equal-i-zer bars do not bend like a Reese bar bends and the support system is quite different although the principals may be similar.

I really believe that the Equal-i-zer bars are built to match the hitch and its mounting components. I would not advise attempting to use lighter bars with this brand of hitch even though with a Reese, doing this could be a benefit.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote