Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #29

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Sameo, Sameo...

As a young'n saw one at a lakeside campsite...never forgot it.

30 years later it was our turn...

Our "first"

Our "last"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Views:	96
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	136290   Click image for larger version

Name:	piseco_20lake_20camping_20july_202008_20020.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	136291  

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
A friend asked me to look at this 1986 airstream on craiglist and give my opinion. He liked the trailer and the price. I went to craiglist and gave my thumbs up on the trailer, but noticed a 1964 26' for sale just below that post. I checked it out and saw the price and was wondering if it was not sold. I called the guy and went to look at it. I really was not interested in another trailer but my son had said he would not mind having one. We went looked at it and I discovered it was a 1960 not a 64. I low balled the offer because I was not that serious about buying it and he excepted my offer. End of story.

It is still getting restored, but here is a pic of how far we have come along on the outside. We are close to finishing the inside.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning3.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	136289  

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #31
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Our plans to buy a cruising catamaran got put on indefinite hold last year with drastic changes in import duties in this little country we live in. While visiting Colorado last summer, on a whim we bought 35 acres north of Ft. Collins. We were in right place at right time and it was a good opportunity. We made a good deal. Initial, un-thought-out plans were to put small vacation home on it so we could get away from the tropics for a few months a year during hurricane season. I started researching timber frames houses and log homes, etc. Other dreams. Finally we realized that it probably wasn't all that smart to spend that kind of money for a second house to maintain, which would be in a remote location with nobody to keep an eye on it for ten months a year in a place with a nasty winter climate. La Gringa came up with the idea of a motor home or travel trailer that we could store someplace else, and pull up to park on our property when we wanted to be there, and put away in safe storage the rest of the time. Until we got this AS, she had never spent a night in an RV of any kind. I grew up camping. My folks are still into it, in fact. They have had an airstream for thirty years. I owned a Class C MH for about ten years and knew the drawbacks in this kind of situation. Airstreams are pretty much considered the best, and that's kind of how we like to do things when we can. Besides, I figure we saved three quarters of a million dollars by not building the hybrid log/timber home.

And I could never have been planning to take the log home with me to see the Black Hills, Jackson Hole, I am the Silver Lining.
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
My grandparents had one when I was a kid. I would spend a few weeks of my summer break with them and the AS served as my living quarters. I was smitten then. My wife tried the tent camping thing with me once and said never again! So an AS was our first and only choice!
All that is gold does not always glitter...those who wander not always are lost....
mnmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Same old story...

Mine is the same old story...I came home from work one evening and my wife tells me that she saw the "cutest thing in the world today near SeaWorld." It was an Airstream Bambi. She started looking at them on-line. She had me go with her to the dealer..."just to look."

The next thing out of her lips was..."I want it."

The rest is history.

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #34
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I'd never even heard of Airstreams. Was on the Internet one night looking to buy a horse & ended up with a trailer by morning.
Of course I'm an elitist. Look around you.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
I just wanted to have an RV to stay in while fishing. I went and looked at a 19' RV and it just seemed so ... "cheap". I then went to look at an Airstream, and paid 4 times what the "other" brand cost and have been putting miles on it ever since. I love it and would own no other brand. I'm now up to a 23', but still AS!
nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
Positives out weighed the negatives of ownership. Been Rving over 30 yrs. Have owned a PU Camper, 3 TTs and a Class C before we just bought our AS The last 2 TTs were 34' long and had two large Slide outs. You need to sweep off the SO before you leave your campsite. Class C is great for touring, but some times you need a toad and a dolly. Big TTs and 5th Wheels sit high off the ground. They catch a lot of wind; not good if you have a problem with steps. AS does not have a rubber roof to maintain. It is close to the ground. Easier to tow. Easier on the knees. Two feet lower overall height. Wind resistance is unimaginable easier towing. We decided that we did not need to take the house with us. Insurance is a lot cheaper than a C and doesn't have the upkeep of a drivable Rv. Last but not least, an AS doesn't depreciate like TTs, 5rs and RVs.
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
What 1 Boyscout said. We have had them all, including 3 Airstreams. Picked up our last RV, a 30' FC in December. Will in all probability not have anything else. Drive-ability ease of maintenance, lower to the ground style, insurance yes all those things.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote