Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
What holds up your patio lights?

What do you use to hold your patio lights on? I see those expensive specialty clips advertised and wonder how many use them?
Being so cheap, I use something else. I clip ours up using binder clips from an office supply store..... cheap, readily available, effective!
See here http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=Binder+Clips for what I'm talking about. And those are the size I use!

And.... just for fun..... what design or style of lights are you currently using?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 04-06-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
What do you use to hold your patio lights on? I see those expensive specialty clips advertised and wonder how many use them?
Being so cheap, I use something else. I clip ours up using binder clips from an office supply store..... cheap, readily available, effective!
See here http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=Binder+Clips for what I'm talking about. And those are the size I use!

And.... just for fun..... what design or style of lights are you currently using?

Elizabeth in Iowa
That's what we use. And Airstream lights of coarse
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Zero Carb Twinkie

2003 22' International CCD
Fullarton , Ontario
Office Clips are the best. Nice small ones, with just enough room in the channel for the wire.

We currently only have Halloween lights. Alternating Orange Pumkin Heads and white Skulls. (goes with the CCD).

I purchased but have not used, Old style christmas bulbs which are solid White and Orange for non-Halloween outings. We'll see how they look in June when we take the Twinkie out for its first run.
0CarbTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Tiki Lights

I use clothes pins. They work well. I have several sets of lights that I switch out using. Trout, palm trees, parrots, Halloween lights, and my newest ones -- flamingos!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We don't use any clips with our pole & stake awning. The pole tops are spaced about 3' apart and hold them up just fine.

We use different lights depending on what we feel like on a particular day:
  • Airstreams & Metros
  • Chili Peppers
  • Dragonflys
  • Cowboy Boots & Cactus
  • Plan white
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Stars

I have some tin stars that I use at home and I want to put them on my Safari awning. Where do you plug them in? -J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stars.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	11304  
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Cool Stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Where do you plug them in? -J
We have an exterior outlet by the door...otherwise you would need an extension cord.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Patio lights on Airstreams? Surely you jest. I was informed early on that Airsteamers did not display patio lights or hang laundry from the unit. It was said in a very lighthearted manner, but the number of units displaying patio lights are few and far between. I still have my Silverbells in a box, inverted 4" plastic flower pots with holes in them and painted silver, to date they have never been displayed and I have had them for over 5 years.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Hmmmm.....

Hmmm. I must have an Airstream Look-Alike, then! Because I do have, and display, and Gasp! acutally LIGHT them! My patio lights that is.
The only ones I have actually kept in the unit are plain globes in various colors. I do have some bamboo tiki lights, and just bought some Chinese lanterns in assorted colors.
Only today i have spent an inordinate amount of time figuring out how many lamps I need, how to wire them together and at what spacing, to do both ends of the patio awning, and all across the front.
I think I'm gonna like the round lanterns!
As for laundry, does it count if we put it on hangers first? That's how I usually dry shirts.... slip them on a hanger, button up the front, and let the breeze do it's thing.... now with towels, that's different! Those i toss over the dog fence, and act nonchalaunt......

Elizabeth in Iowa
Trying to convince hubby we need some 'fun' lights..... naked ladies, or poodles, or something not quite so staid....
Old 04-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
We have an exterior outlet by the door...otherwise you would need an extension cord.

Shari
Looks like it's an extension cord for me. Outdoor outlets must not have been a 70s thing for Airstream.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 04-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Who told you no patio lights? I've seen plenty of them on Airstreams, usually flamingos

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars

Elizabeth in Iowa
Good old-fashioned wooden clothespins! Cheap and easily replaced...
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Looks like it's an extension cord for me. Outdoor outlets must not have been a 70s thing for Airstream.
I have had one A/S (1963 Bambi) and it had no outlets and three Argosys that each one had the same outlet in about the same spot.
My mom and dad's 1973 A/S has the same outlet too.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:27 AM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I use the slide-in holders you can get from Wal-mart. As for A/S owners not using lights - that would be a bummer, as I finally bought a lit palm tree that I can't wait to use. I saw one last year in a hardware store and passed it up. But I thought about it (with regret) for a year, and was so happy when I visited that same hardware store again, and it was there.

I hope folks will stop in and see me, even though I am "lit".

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #15
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Tiki Lights

Pat, I'll stop in and see you! You do the same here! Believe me, I will be lit!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Boy, do I feel stupid!

Quote:
Doug was looking around outside the Safari today while we were working on it and he was pointing out the different doors and boxes for electrical, plumbing etc. "There's a 2-plug electrical outlet," says he. What?!? I spent a good 15 minutes looking around for that thing and didn't find it before. It's right by the arm of the awning so it's in the perfect spot for plugging in the tin stars! -J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I have some tin stars that I use at home and I want to put them on my Safari awning. Where do you plug them in? -J
I have no exterior outlet on ours, but the door for the refrigerator is right where a plug would need to be, and if you open it, there are two outlets there. One for the fridge, and an open one. Guess what gets plugged into the open one.
I don't do flamingos, so the lights are my contribution to tackiness.