Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #361
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Work?

Well, primarily I am a wife and mother. Married 30 years, and we have two grown daughters, one a software engineer the other a Massage Therapist, working on her history degree.

My favorite employment outside the home was full time. It was where I met my husband and lasted until we started our family. I was actually able to use my degree in Wildlife Biology, as an Interpretive Naturalist at a Nature Center owned by the Michigan Audubon society. Mostly I was a stay at home mom with some part time work thorwn in. I worked 15 years part time as the Conservation Education Aid at the local Soil Conservation District. After that I worked for a number of years as a substitute teacher. I am presently working part time as a librarian and enjoying it.

But I am looking forward to retirement in a bit over a year.

I enjoy gardening when the mosquitoes aren't too bad and enjoy reading, and surfing the Airstream forum. This thread has been a real pleasure to read.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #362
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Resort Security Manager (rent a cop) haha

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #363
near ichnetucknee springs

1978 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
davie , Florida
hi all,
i'm coming up on my second year of retirement --- was a infrared thermographer and electrical contractor for over twenty five years. been in the elctrical trade for thirty years. nuclear submarines for seven years. new to the airstream trailer and am renovating it --but have a nice avion to live in while i ready the airstream. my trailer site is about a mile from the ichetucknee river and springs in north florida. we are fixing the airstream up to travel after i finish building my house. it's a 1978 and needs alot of tlc... but we'll get there and hope to meet alot of youall on the road...... tuna
charlie tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #364
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Technically I'm supposed to be retired - otherwise I'm doing a bunch of lttle things that add up to full time work.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #365
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
Almost Architect. Been interning since 2003 when I got the masters. I will be sitting for my state exams after the first of the year. I have noticed there are quite a few other architects here retired and otherwise.
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #366
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Union , Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to Joe1261 Send a message via Yahoo to Joe1261
Congrats on the 500th post ... lol this is only my 2nd post here.

After reading everyones Occupation. sounds like there is a wide range of people here.

Well I spent 22 years in the US Navy. My first 8 years I was a Gunners Mate. I worked on 5"/38 Gun Mounts and 3"/50 Gun Mounts. I then converted to Master-at-Arms, which is Law Eenforcement. I served in Desert Storm and I spent 2 1/2 Years in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba and 18 months in Iceland. I have been a patrolman, Chief of Police, chief Investigator, Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection Instructor, and Asst Security Officer during my Naval Carrer, I retired about 4 years ago and I miss it alot. I enjoyed every single minute of my career, However I had to retire under a 60% Disability, which prevented me from becoming a civlian Law Enforcement Officer. So now I drive a Semi Truck for FEDEX Ground. I dont mind driving a truck however I would love to get back in to Losss Prevention or some type of Security work. Well that is it for me ...

thanks

Joe
Joe1261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #367
2 Rivet Member

1978 27' Argosy 27
west monroe , Louisiana
i own a motorcycle shop an have a motorcycle salvage yard
oldwingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #368
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I am a State Wildlife Officer. Spent 23 years as a field officer and the last 3 years as an administrator. Degree from Ohio State University in Wildlife Biology and Natural Resources.
My wife is an art teacher. She just got her Masters...I am very proud of her for that.
Tom and Nan
tlavergne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #369
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
I've spent the majority of my 'young life' being a stay at-home mom, working part-time in the IRS, State Parks Reservation System, Retail Sales, and teaching at various age levels from pre-school to adults and seniors in public schools, and churches..I've always been involved in home economics, art and design, and music..since my husband retired 3 years ago, I've spent most of my time volunteering in planning fundraising and hosting events in his organization, and /or babysitting our grandson.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #370
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I was a mechanic for 9 years (and at the same time a reserve firefighter), then went full time with a municipal Fire Department 19 years ago. We are a small department, and so we wear many hats. I am currently a Fire Engineer/Paramedic and Fire investigator/Peace Officer among other duties.
My job is the next best thing to retirement, I would hate to go back to a "normal" 8-5 job. Having said that, I can't wait 'till retirement. Maybe in 2 years.? Then I'll see if I can wear out the Airstream.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #371
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Budget Analyst, Mississippi Legislative Budget Office, CPA

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap4x5.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	26905

Mississippi State Capitol
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #372
1 Rivet Member

Edge , Texas
My primary salt mine is Technical Support for WiFi providers (yes, I support some RV parks!)

Secondary paying hobby is E-Baying motorcycle bits and eventually restoring older "barn-finds".

Merlyn
MerlynGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #373
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to cookeville34
Hi, I'm a Fire Fighter/EMT. My wife is a stay at home mom. 3 little kids.

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L - V8, stock 5000# tow rating, posi, aux trans cooler, rear coil over shocks, 2" rear spring lift kit, flowmaster exhaust.
cookeville34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #374
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Haven't seen a whole lot of my profession around here. My wife and I are both geologists. We work for Environmental firms that keep large companies in compliance all over the US and Southern Hemisphere. We are both in our mid 30's and are trying to figure out how we can retire ASAP and enjoy spending time traveling with our currently six year old son. I worked in the Structural steel fab business for 8 years after being a consultant for 6+ prior to that. We have grown to realize that work is something you do soyou can afford to do the things you love.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #375
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
Hey, there, this congrats on 500 posts has gone a long way and a long time, you've got to be doubled by know.

Next, this what do you do for a living ? (hope it's not a cover for next anyone's next hit)

State of Ca employee 15.5 yrs, 15 more to go to retire. DMV 8.5 AND 8 W/DDS, caseworker. Steady work and sometimes rewarding other times "the system sucks" Still trying to win the lotto and its a TEAM effort at work. 22 of us pool every week!!
rolwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #376
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
I'm really, really fortunate to have been able to retire at 55. I worked in hospitals as a medical technologist for about 15 years, then for IBM in research and development for DUV lithography.

Bob has been a professional artist/woodturner for over 20 years. He uses pigmented epoxy resins and gold leaf to fill voids in burl wood bowls. Here's a link to his website, http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com. He doesn't have any intention to ever quit, but might spend less time in the studio and more time on the road in the coming years.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #377
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Going into the second winter of permanent / part-time work on the “contemporization” of my 1976 Argosy 24.

Near the end, the trailer will be two-tone painted to match the Mini Cooper, both hauled around by the Jet Black Sprinter.

What I used to do for work is a different question.

Smokeless.
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:41 AM   #378
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDandTTs
I'm really, really fortunate to have been able to retire at 55. I worked in hospitals as a medical technologist for about 15 years, then for IBM in research and development for DUV lithography.

Bob has been a professional artist/woodturner for over 20 years. He uses pigmented epoxy resins and gold leaf to fill voids in burl wood bowls. Here's a link to his website, http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com. He doesn't have any intention to ever quit, but might spend less time in the studio and more time on the road in the coming years.
Whoa! That's really beautiful work. It seems like I've seen something like that in the galleries here in Scottsdale, AZ. I wonder if it is some of your husband's work....
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #379
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
I am in the Department of Art at a Community College teach 3 courses every semester. I also own my own Advertising Agency.

My husband is self employed and is Sexton at a Cemetery at our Church. He graduated Automotive Technology from College and had a job immediately following graduation. He was a Automotive Service Manager when re left the automotive field.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #380
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Belchertown , Massachusetts
My full time job is as a web developer but in my spare time (and in my heart) I'm a potter.
I'm just trying to figure out how I can travel in the AS and make pots and fire them on the road when I finally retire!
riverstreet2 is offline   Reply With Quote