Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #85
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I'm retiring this spring from middle school English teaching. Grading, papers, latest "new program," I'll not miss those. Times have changed. Seems like I teach lots more "character" than I do English anymore.
That I believe! Scary world and amazing how uninvolved so many parents are, and yet so demanding. Hooee that's a whole 'nother thread on a different board.

I taught that age for one year. I learned that I am NOT a middle school teacher. Any other age, fine. But you middle school personalities are so rare and valuable. I will never, never, never, never, never do it again. And I have the history/english credential so I'm always getting asked.

Never, never, never, never again. I'm so glad we have you!

"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:08 AM   #86
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
My goal is to spend more time working at living, and less time living at work… OK, back to reality.

For most of my adult life I have been self employed. The first 15+ years I owned and operated a cabinet manufacturing facility in the Northeast which specialized in custom storage cabinetry... which has helped me in my Airstream endeavors. I designed, as well as built.

After closing down the business and moving to Florida (the land of retirement and Airstreams) to be closer to family and such (long story) I shifted careers and was in the industrial waste recycling business. No, not the mob. I represented a line of industrial waste grinding machinery that oddly enough, I sold to mostly manufactured housing companies and RV manufacturers. That job led in to the corporate world of waste management where I was sales manager for a number of years until the little fish kept getting eaten by the bigger fish, and so on and so on. From there I happily moved in to the aluminum extrusion business as GM of a good sized company that supplied store front aluminum to the country’s largest retailers. 3+ years later, and a bout with nepotism and employer psychosis, I happily and on my own, moved on, and out of the corporate world. What a nightmare! A year or two of kicking around doing odd jobs to keep my Airstream addiction afloat, has led me to the quieter, more gentle world of paint. I am now doing all the residential sales and estimating in a 2 county area for the local office of the nation’s largest residential painting contractor. Great fun, interesting people, and what could be better than talking about the wonders of paint? Aside from the wonders of Airstreams.

I still don’t know what I want to be when and if I grow up, but things are good. If you would like your Airstream remodeled, I can be had for a song… and a dance… or cash. All I need is a warm place to park my trailer, full hookups, and a nice space for all my tools. Oh, and $65 per hour.

My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:58 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I am an elementary school teacher. I've taught a bit of everything from grade 5-8, but specialize in Science and Information and Communication Technology. After teaching for 17 years I am enjoying a year off through a deferred leave program. This allows me to work at a reduced salary for up to 6 years, and then have the money paid back while I'm one leave. It effectively spreads 6 years of salary over 7 years. Our school board administers this. The money only earns about 3%, but there is an advantage in that you don't pay tax on it until it is paid back to you during your year off. In September I'll be back in the classroom.

This year I am enjoying spending more time with my 4 kids aged 7-12, traveling, working on the house we've been building for 10 years and fixing up the Airstream.

My wife is a food scientist and elementary school teacher, and has been a stay-at-home-mom since our first child was born.

Grant Davidson
Milton, ON

1964 Overlander
1999 Suburban
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:08 AM   #88
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I am a nurse practitioner currently practicing in a rural health clinic. Husband (retired Navy thanks to an early out program) is a master Harley (mechanic) technician. Our other interests include motorcycle drag racing, gardening, body art including tattoos and piercings, sewing and old sewing machines, drawing, painting, writing, most sports and poker.
Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:38 AM   #89
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
Originally Posted by Saddletramp
Your 500th and here's to my FIRST! Born and raised on a Cattle Ranch in Northern Wyoming I have now come full circle, I am proud to be a Cowboy again!

welcome to the forum flatlander.....
Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #90
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
work for a local water utility - engineering technician designing watermain replacement projects and project manager - the pay stinks, the works hard - take a while longer to get my airstream - I surf this website to research what I actually want.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Great thread! Really nice to know what all of us do when we're away from our Airstreams.

After years in wireless telecommunications I now work for myself. Back in the telecom days I was a network design engineer, manager of a regional operations group, and then an operations director for one of the many PCS carriers out there (course they're all buying each other up now).

Now I make custom cycling maps, kayaking maps, and do some photography of moose that chase me while I'm documenting new maps. As a sideline I also do small business network installations and troubleshooting. I still consult in wireless now & again to fill up the Airstream trip funds. With luck our business will grow in the coming years so we can operate from anywhere our Airstream takes us.

My wife Erin is a unix administrator. She has recently swapped positions from one of the big financial companies to a smaller company that allows some more time off for our trips. Erin isn't as interested in the bicycle mapping work I do, but she loves finding great moose to pose for a photo or two, not to mention finding friendly loons to paddle with for a day!

Rich C.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I retired as a Park Superintendent within the Ontario Parks System (yes - the big green one on the Ontario/Minnesota border). Since then have been contracted to complete Park Management Plans for several far northern parks with land use issues. On the home front I spend some significant time in "slave labour" when my true boss needs a hole dug or dirt hauled in her garden - or - my son needs a nail hammered or board cut in his house. My wife is retired from teaching but still spends a lot of volunteer time within the education system and is also very active within the church community.

The Bambi is parked in the driveway - soon to be de-winterized - ready for the cycle to begin anew.

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:10 PM   #93
Rivet Master
1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Amazing thread to have this much interest and this number of posts in just a matter of a few days.
72 Sovereign: L couch, mid-twin, rear-bath
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #94
Rivet Master
1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe

I just got off active duty from the Marine Corps for the Reserves where I was the Information Management Officer at 2d Marine Division, II MEF, Camp Lejeune. I am now a contractor for the Marine Corps working on a software application called Command and Control Personal Computer. My goal is to use my BS and MS in Math to teach at the high school level in New York.

Rob, Zoe', Stanton, Bryce, Braedon and Finn Baker
Do you Listen to the
Plymouth, NY 13832
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders -

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #95
Rivet Master
I review the playboy pictures that Porky takes and cut out the articles so I won't be distracted by all the clutter.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #96
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I'm a C.P.A. with my own firm - specializing in healthcare.
1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:03 PM   #97
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Self-taught pizzamaker, aspiring pizza mogul (someday).
Darling wife is employed full-time raising our future legacy (7 children).

Airstream was crazy idea to create family moments and educate our our children.

(So far Dad is the one getting the education .)
Ron Kaes
Psalm 112
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 AM   #98
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Self-taught pizzamaker, aspiring pizza mogul (someday).
Darling wife is employed full-time raising our future legacy (7 children).

Airstream was crazy idea to create family moments and educate our our children.

(So far Dad is the one getting the education .)
I don't know if you were old enough to remember the 60's and 70's when there were contests to see how many people you could get in a VW Beatle?

I know we have "6xBlessd" as a forum member, and now that I see you were 7x Blessed, I wonder who holds the record for the most children in an Airstream???

Incidentally, I enjoyed seeing your family photos.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote