Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 AM   #501
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
Hello there, I'm self employeed as a property and landscape maintainer and my wife is a school bus driver.

I don't think you'll find a common demoninator amongst Airstream owners as far as employment goes because the common thread we all share deals with what we like to do away from working. Oftentimes what we like to do with our time off has nothing to do with what we do for a living. The only thing in common wioth my work and recreation activities is that it's all done outdoors.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #502
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I retired on July 31, 2006 after 50 years and 2 days working for Macy's. It was my first job. It began after my attempt to join the Air Force but was rejected (4F in my physical.. hard of hearing). I had just graduated from high school so after failing the military I enrolled in the local JR college and went looking for a job. Macy's had an opening on their display staff. During the 50 years I've created and directed displays in several stores in Calif. and Nevada. When our kids were begining their teenage years I was in senior management and was a regional manager which took me away from home more than I wanted. I then with the encouragement of Macy's created a Regional Visual Merchandising Production facility. The last 20 and most happy 20 years was spent designing, building and installing merchandise shops, props and displays. I discovered and developed my finish carpentry skills during this time and had a ball. I probably would still be working but for several arthritis related major surgeries and then my wonderfull wife suffered a stroke to which I needed to be with her 24/7. We bought our Trade Wind after her stroke and that has been the best therapy we both could have asked for!
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #503
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
I was a meat cutter, a dairy farmer, a tech in the Air Force (all of you aerospace guys, I worked sensors on the SR-71), a defense contractor, a gigalo (fun but no 401k), a telecom worker, now in training as a dog handler. I also own a small business in Brazil where I'll retire.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #504
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Kani-911 Dispatcher-video editor-and for 15 years up until 2004 I was 1/2 of a FM radio show morning drive.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #505
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I've posted before also, but according to my retirement countdown clock, I'll be doing nothing in 132 days, 8 hours and 29 minutes!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #506
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Retired from the Feds as an auditor.

Canadian...don't have anything to do with the IRS and did not work for CRA, the Canadian equivalent.
Audited federal, provincial and private pension plans to ensure compliance with Parliamentary legislation.

Rogue auditor, Legal Dept. hated me.

Always put the client/person (not a file to me) before the legislation. Fought constantly to have the antiquated legislation amended, especially WW2 widows.

I am a born and bred Airforce Brat. Moved every 2-3 years. Canada, Europe etc. Lived in Germany, have seen the ravages of war.

The WWII widows, broke my heart, so many were never legally married, it was War Time. Many couples had numerous children and when the husband died, she could not provide a marriage certificate. She was ashamed, how terrible is that? and did not want her children to know. Gave up all rights to a pension, in my opinon, she was fully entitled to.

May be retired, but I haven't given up!
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #507
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
I'm a Registered Nurse at a Long Term Acute Care Hospital and have recently started back to school to get my Master's in Nursing Education. Previously I have worked for USPS, American Airlines, AT&T and have been a Hairstylist and Aerobic Instructor... Now I'm looking forward to the purchase of an AS and possibly some travel nursing in the future.

Enjoyed reading all your post...I can see there are alot of great people out there....Can't wait to start meeting you all.
blueiwahine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #508
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert View Post
i am the vice president in charge of looking out the window......
norby
I was going back and looking at some old blogs when I came upon your reply to Flamingo kid 1.
I was amused at your quote of "illigetamous non carborundum" (spelling); I have to look it up for the correct way.

I had this ason my wallpaper at work when one of the CO'S saw it and I almost got fired. He didn't think it was funny.

Also FYI on weekend of October 5, 2008 several of us are meeting at Pecatonic County Park Illinois for a mini Rally, approx 10 AS owners. You would be welcome. You could contact Flamingo Kid 1 or myself (Air tandem)
for more details. mikedana65@msn.com
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #509
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I must just be boring,started plumbing in 1973 in Albuquerque,35 years later I`m a plumbing contractor ,specializing in dental and medical offices.My wife works at the local newspaper in the media grapphics dept.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #510
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
Looking for a JOB!!!!

I have been looking for a job in education/administration/human service for the last year. I have a log with more than 90 application packages out!!!

You would think that someone with my background (20 years admininstrator/school counselor/teacher, with a CAGS, MA, BS and national certification as a CRC) would have NO trouble finding work.

SURPRISE!!! When you hit 50 employers don't want you. Why not when they can hire a first year educator fresh out of school for half what I am worth.

So much for having highly qualified educators working with kids.

If anyone has a lead in the state of Connecticut, PLEASE pm me and I will forward my resume!

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #511
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I am a counselor, teacher, preacher, parent, custodian, nurse, care giver, auditor, mentor, monitor, traffic cop, cheer leader, recruiter, number cruncher and anything else that I need to be. Actually, I am the luckiest man in the world. I get 450 hugs and "I love you's" every morning. as I am lucky enough to share my life with the most beautiful children God has ceated. Who else is so fortunate? I am an elementary school principal.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #512
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
I'm an Art Director of Brand Licensing for a large publishing company. I've always loved fixing things from restoring three old homes, an old Thunderbird to Fender guitars and basses. Airstreams so far are the most fun and satisfying. I just ordered a bunch of stuff today from VTS including a polisher. Can't wait for the UPS man.
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #513
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Arden , North Carolina
I am a police detective in one of the prettiest places on earth, Asheville, N.C. and if I survive another 8 years, look forward to full time RVing!
AirstreamCSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #514
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Land Surveyor
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #515
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
fascinating thread!

My current work is as a train dispatcher for a heavy freight short line railroad. I'm the only woman in the organization and all the guys have to get permission from me - which makes me Mother Louisa.

In former lives I've been the publisher of a boating magazine, yacht delivery captain an a bunch of other administrative jobs which are more or less all the same - only the jargon changes!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #516
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Cape Coral , Florida
Currently, I am an office manager for an internet classified advertising agency (www.buyandsellnetwork.com). In my previous life, I spent 23 years in some sort of healthcare related industry. I started as a phlebotomist (blood sucker), progressed through Firefighter/Medic, but busted up my knee. Continued in hospitals working in post-op, and eventually ended up in a doctors office expecting a slower pace (shocker - not a bit slower paced!) Now on hiatus from healthcare for three years but getting that little itch to return . Anyway having a blast talking to other Airstream owners at my current job. Not many looking to sell their beauties on our website, but looking to see if we have a site for parts! We do not yet have a parts site, but maybe some day in the future.
w_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #517
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I run the service departments for a Mercedes Benz / Volvo dealership in Sonoma county Calif. (wine country) sometimes its whine country depending on the customer LOL. I have been with these products for 26 years now as my background is technical. Six more years of this till my youngest is out of high school and then moving to Nevada City Ca. and will open my own little mobile service repair business..
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #518
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
I am an Assistant Manager of a Grain Elevator in Central Illinois. Corn and soybean harvest is just about ready to get started around here. I am also a part time repair man on our old house, ol' Airtstream, and my lovely wife's Dance Studios. Don't have any kids yet, only been married for a couple of years. Do have a cute little dog, named Lucy, that accompanies us on our travels in our trailer....Oh yeah, can't forget about our little turtle named King Tut. He has traveled with us one time in our trailer, to Hot Springs, AR. Don't know if he liked it, he just 'looks' at me when I ask him.

Love the website, and hearing about all the fun people are having in their Airstreams.

Looking forward to seeing some of you on the road.

Cory
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #519
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
retired!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #520
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
What do I/we do? Im a dental hygienist by day and a vintage VW enthusiast by night as well a ham radio operator. My wife is a research study coordinator for a contract research organization (she compiles drug study data that is given to the pharma. company and then to the FDA)
And are raising our 5 yr old daughter and 3 yo son. We also have horses and lots of cats.
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote