Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How much did you pay for your A/S?
$1.00-$5,000 376 36.94%
$5,000-$10,000 215 21.12%
$10,000-$15,000 63 6.19%
$15,000-$20,000 57 5.60%
$20,000-$25,000 38 3.73%
$25,000-$30,000 33 3.24%
$30,000-$35,000 48 4.72%
$35,000-$40,000 34 3.34%
$40,000-$50,000 83 8.15%
$50,000- plus 71 6.97%
Voters: 1018. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2003, 09:55 AM   #41

We paid about 9,000 for our 1977 Excella 31 foot last summer, but have spent at least another 5,000 on minor repairs and refurbishments in the past year.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am so fascinated by this thread! It's amazing how the different answers to, "how much did you pay for your AS?" can tell so much about each owner's personality. It's also interesting how we all have different definitions of the word "value." We all love our campers and get enjoyment out of them one way or another; time spent traveling, restoring, online talking about them. So here's my answer and all of it's revelations about us:

We bought our vintage little beauty recently. We thought she was a steal at $1900.00. Our time capsule could use some updating. But everything works no matter how orange, flowered and plaid it may be. Besides, for now we kinda like her vintage charm. And we use her! No sense sinking the college funds into cosmetics only to worry the kids are going to spill ketchup (or is it catsup?) on our new upholstery. Ron's boss gave him some left over pergo flooring......that covered our floor and it was free! I bought some old curtains at a thrift store for $6.00 and I'm altering them to fit perfectly - just like new - and they coordinate with the vintage surroundings. We're going to tackle the $$$projects as they arise, mostly in order of necessity. But for the time being, everything functions.

So our total investment has been $1,906.00. I feel like we have already gotten our money's worth on the 3 camping trips we have taken. And I hope to spend all of our extra time and money on our adventures. Some day our children will remember long hot days at the beach, cookouts, smores, cross country trips and all of us enjoying these things as a family. Makes me feel like I should start shelling out cash - seems we kinda owe the camper, doesn't it?

Tracy
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 11:41 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up

Quote:
Believe it or not you need to add one more category: "under $1000"
It's there... $1.00 to $5000 and it has the most votes!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:55 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Maxwells' twin...

I'm loving this!

Shari

Update 8/7/03: Max's twin ended up closing on ebay for $10,675 ~
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #45
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We paid $700.00 for our '72 Argosy. It looked absolutely horrible, and I was mentally measuring myself for a straightjacket on the way home with it. A couple of hours with a bucket of soapy water and a brush, and some carpet and touch-up paint, and it looks much more civilized. Only major thing it needs is an axle, I hope to rectify that this week.
We spoil our trailer, it has its own 25 acre farm, it lives there by itself, in a small barn. We go to visit it every week.
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 04:21 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to rochsmama Send a message via Yahoo to rochsmama
Well, the factory 8 track player in my baby looks brand new and works like a charm! Top that one!
rochsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #47
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Well, the factory 8 track player in my baby looks brand new and works like a charm! Top that one!

When we bought our '72, it still had the original tires on it...and they still held air, and decent tread, but towing it anywhere exept home with them was flirting with disaster, and they have been replaced.
Terry
Old 12-30-2003, 03:51 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

I paid $2000.00 for my 1969 Sovereign 31', price included delivery to my yard. Even though I might spend upwards of $5,000.00 more luxuriating, this is a preferable investment to purchasing something new and tacky. Almost all trailers I have seen in the under 30G range I could afford are filled with plastic, and RV'esque upholesteries and accents. Where as mine when done will have enormous character of quality. I intend to upholster in leather and refinish all the natural wood interior with a gorgeous cherry stain and matching wood floors. I will spend countless hours working on this project, but I count that time as entertainment not expense. After all the only reason I bought this thing was because it looked like a fun and fulfilling project. I wasn't even in the market for a trailer or RV or any sort, just always loved the silver bullet look of the classic airstream. I am hoping to have it fixed up so nice with surround sound entertainment and LCD screen I might just sell my house and become a fulltimer myself. Keep ya' posted.

Darin
darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:31 PM   #49
Texas Cajun :-)

1962 19' Globetrotter
Austin , TEXAS YEHAWWWW
How FUN!!!

I really enjoy reading all the feedback from folks about their Airstreams. We bought an Avion in October for $1900. Not sure it was worth that much but man ya can't beat the 'coolness factor' of these babies.

My first AS cost $1350 but had been converted into a rolling darkroom. And for that price it came WITH all the coolest darkroom gear...2 Beseler 23CIIXL's, cutting board, safelights galore. The only things that needed work were new tires (standard it seems) and had to upgrade the wiring. Kept getting zapped even with aluminum!

2nd AS was gutted, cost $850 plus another $350 for 4 new tires and about another $150 in tag, title and misc. stuff. Just donated that one to Habitat for Humanity. They'll have a groovin hang out for those awesome volunteers. Just too much work for me after having a baby

So onward and upward! Having soooo much fun on this forum. Happy New Year to all and GOD BLESS !!!
Roze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:09 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Leavenworth , Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to RVNUTTY
Talking

I bought my airstream today. ($3000) A friend of mine finally sold me his...I had been after him for years to sell it to me. He wanted more but I couldn't swing it. He was going to put it on eBay but then decided it wasn't worth the hassle. I have been following the sales on eBay for Airstreams and trailers in general, so yes, I got a really good deal. This one would have brought over $5 grand easily. It is all original, and in good condition.

I have a 1973 VW camper, which I am sadly going to sell, so I can buy something to pull my airstream with. I've been reading about RV's, and going to RV shows for 10 years. I bought every RV How-To, RV Maintenance & Repair, and RV cookbook out there. What a collection! (Hence, RVNUTTY) Once I applied to sell RV's at Wheeler's in Las Vegas. The guy asked me what my credentials were, and I showed him my bag of books. Needless to say, I didn't get the job...he said I was too honest.

Never could afford a new one, but I enjoyed looking and I have a scrapbook full of pictures, and another box full of sales brochures. (Is there a spell check on here somewhere?) I should probably sell each one on eBay since they are collector's items by now. LOL

Anyway, back to my airstream. Tires are bad. Paid someone $50 to tow it five miles to my yard. One tire was flat upon arrival. The guy yelled at me cause I didn't know how to unhook it (electric hitch). I told him that's what I was paying him for! Anyway, between the two of us, we got it unhooked. (It took me half-an-hour just to find the plug in the rear. Everything is hidden so well!)

I'm treating another friend to dinner for checking out the heater/refrigerator/plumbing etc. The original owner said everything worked 10 years ago. Well, we know the electric hitch still works! LOL
RVNUTTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TricoastalJoey
How Much Did I Pay for my AIRSTREAM

I traded a restored LincolnMarkIV,71Caddy Limo (kept the 75Imperial for tow vehicle)for my first ARGOSY 26' trailer. I was moving south after a year working on a farm and wanted to retire for a year or two and enjoy the Florida coast.By the way, my dog picked it out and still thinks it's hers.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 PM   #52

I bought my '97 Excella 34'er from a dealer for $25K. It had been on the lot for a while and didn't show very well. We just waited for the price to drop and then we low-balled an offer. We are very happy with our A/S.
Gary Prideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #53
Flyfishing, Guitars

1959 24' Tradewind
Breckenridge , Texas
Bought my 1959 Tradewind from a fellow in Arkansas. Paid $3,000 for the trailer but then spent $1,700 right away to get it towed to Arizona. Found it with help from my friend and fellow fly fisherman Brad from Phoenix. First thing I needed to do was get it ready for our move to Texas. (Just recently retired so now I will be able to devote some serious time to fix-up.) Mine was not a candidate for restoration. Too badly roughed up. Galley was a replacement and the entire front booth area had been cleared out. Tub was gone and the refrig was a 110 unit that had been force fit to the space with a hatchet and some wood filler. Had carpet glued to floor and half way up walls in front and also double bed area. We are still evaluating the direction for our fix-up but I am sure it will not be to original spec nor will it be cheap.
59TW0132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 06:16 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Our 26' AS Overlander cost $8000 brand new in 1967, and our local bank made its first RV loan [3 year term] ever with us. The model we bought in '96 cost 5 times more than the first one, and we could have had a 30 year term if we wanted. The first purchase was the most adventurous and daunting, but worth more than the money!
Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:18 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
2002 22' International, purchased June, 04 - $24,500.

Corky
Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:19 AM   #56
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ha, I'm the friend and fellow flyfisherman of 59TW0132. Paid $3500 for mine in Sept. of 2001 and easily have more than that in its refurbishment. I find it therapeutic and relaxing to work on it and enjoy using it even more.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #57

I am a rookie airstream owner. I just purchased a 1971 29' Abassador for $5,250.00. It is in pretty good condition. It has a couple of dents and the tires need to be replaced. It needs some work in the interior and I am planning on replacing the carpeting with wood flooring. I really have no idea what I am doing but I figure this is all part of the fun. I am very happy to have stumbled on to this site. I have always wanted to own an airstream since I was a kid. I cannot wait to take it out on the road once I fix it up and figure out what I am doing. It is all very exciting.
trumpetlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:55 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
anyone (besides us) get a tour of the seller's home, take steak and potato salad for lunch and lounge by their pool for hours on the purchase day?We got lucky and met great sellers!
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

college

22 yrs old, approaching 5th year in college out of 6 1/2? or so
loans out the wazoo
upwards of 10G spent on rent already
competing with 60,000 other college students for jobs in a city of 150,000

ah the college life
as rent casually increases and I do good to have roomates that arent trying to steal my stuff, screw me out of money or even kill me- yes i had one nut who got off his happy pill meds try to kill me, I was looking for a better solution for housing
I decided that a camper was the way to go
it would be mine so when i did spend money on it, it would be more like an investment rather than tossing money away making some big real estate company or some big investor rich off of me living in a slum
I was in a bind of a lease that i couldnt get out of and couldnt keep a decent roomate- needless to say i'd had enough of renting and messing with roomates.
started looking around and saw how clearly SOBs could not hold their own
not to mention 3 or 4 sitting out in the woods that people have given to my step dad which we robbed all the parts we could off of (generator, misc appliances, but mostly scrap iron)
started looking on ebay
liked the prices on airstreams to be restored
have known a couple of people who owned airstreams in the past and who swear by them
so I took a chance on a '69 Overlander and it turned out to be the best thing I've done in a while
for $2100, it had no upholstery, bare plywood floor, severe rust under holding tank, no fresh tank, missing twin bed, missing bathroom cabinet doors, rotten around toilet, missing front couch, faded falling apart curtains, and for icing on the cake a stink worth several gallons of bleach.
all present appliances work except roof air- which i promptly fixed because that is one of the four things i require to live in a place (bed, toilet, shower, and ac)
after some bleach, febreze, shop vac, comet, scrubbing, shop vac, bleach, scrubbing, bleach, scrubbing, cut out rotten plywood, brace in new piece of treated plywood, bleach, comet , scrubbing, pull twin bed out bleach, comet scrub all surrounding and under, pull out carpet that was under bed, bleach, scrub, shop vac, then... wood putty bad spots, sand, more wood putty here and there, sand, lay down some stick on linoleum squares.
beautiful
that is to date
I'm currently able to stay in there and save money
still have a long way to go, most of it consists of me waiting to see what I'm going to need and put in the front living room and opposite hole where the other twin bed used to be
the threads have been much help
thanks to all who get on here with advice
J
eaglerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Parker Dam , California
Hi Everyone,

We paid $3500.00 for a 1972 31 ft Ambassador. After all is said and done; floor,curtains, new mattresses,couch,microwave,rims,tires,brakes and all the fun stuff for the inside; cleaning, polish, etc.. add another $3500.00 approx. But we feel a sense of pride and my wife is attached to that "tincan." We even love our small vintage dents. The best part is traveling and meeting A/S enthusiast and going to rallies. But most of all, its paid for and no monthly bills or interest!! Keep up the good work everyone hope to see you on the road.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote