Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Aurora , Colorado
What Advice Do You Have for Our First Trip?

Hi Friends--

My husband and I just bought a 25FB Flying Cloud...our first Airstream and first trailer. We're learning rather serendipitously about certain dos and don'ts. For example, a friend told me we should use a pressure regulator to avoid possible pressure spikes from a city water connection. No one at the dealer told us this. I actually found this site and joined when I checked online to verify the information.

So...what do we really need to know that no one has told us? You probably have a couple of ideas about things no one told you when you bought your first trailer. Would you share some insights about how to travel safely and take care of our new Airstream? For example, a couple of people have told us they leave the propane on when traveling to keep the fridge cold. I know that's not advisable, but does everyone do it anyway? What other kinds of things do we need to know?

Many thanks! Peggy
PandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I'd recommend getting a couple of books that will be of great assistance:

1. The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming
2. The (nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance

They're both by Rich Luhr and are available on Amazon.

You'll also get a lot of great advice here, but the responses may not be well-organized as you'll get bits of thrown at you. The books are logically arranged and, once you've read though, you can ask questions here or dig into specific topic forums for deep debates on the merits of certain practices. There was just a recent thread on the propane/refrigerator/driving debate here.

Congrats!!!
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Keep a list of things you need and did not bring and a list of stuff brought and have no need of.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
1) don't stress
2) just go
3) have fun
4) come home
5) review
6) repeat

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. The info that you got about using a water pressure reducer is quite correct. You will do much better getting your info here on AirForums rather that the RV dealer. Most are not very knowledgeable.

Here are a few other tips for starting out:

- Never leave the black tank valve open longer than it takes to dump the black tank. Doing so can be catastrophic.

- When using the electric water heater and air conditioner, using the microwave will very often trip the main circuit breaker in the trailer.

- If a storm is brewing, retract the main awning.

- When the first LP tank is empty, fill it as soon as you can or it is easily forgotten.

- If it is going to freeze overnight, take in the city water hose, and use tank water for the night.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Remember it's just camping and it's just a trailer. Don't sweat the small stuff. You will figure out what works for you.

Joe D

Oh ya it's suppose to be fun, not a source of stress..HAVE FUN!!!
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Welcome to the fun!

Here are some tips and ideas that came to mind, in no particular order.

It is not fun to set up camp in the dark, so plan to arrive early enough so you have time to get things arranged before sun down.

We try to bring something that doesn't need to be cooked for Friday night dinner. Take out salads with grilled chicken, subs, even fast food. We are usually leaving after work on Friday so this makes things easier.

If you can't remember for sure, you tube is your friend. There is a you tube video for just about everything you can imagine. From how to set up your hitch and sway bars, how to dump, using a generator, fixing things. So stop and double check if you're not sure.

If you like a cocktail or mixed drink, bring lots of ice. We even have an ice bucket.

Don't lock yourself out. Apparently the doors can vibrate enough on closing to sometimes engage the lock. We have our AS keys on a lanyard and each wear them on our person when we are not inside the trailer.

Flashlights are handy.

This is more of a personal preference but I find it important to have footwear with toe protection when setting up and breaking camp. (Keens, top siders, or tennis shoes--no flip flops) There is a fair amount of bending on the ground underneath and stooping, and it is easier to do with shoes or sandals that cover your toes.

Keep a list of places you stay, what campsite number you had, and other "good" campsites you would want to be at at that campground. This makes it easier when making reservations the next time. Google maps/earth is good to look over the campgrounds when choosing a site.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
The Fridge on or off while traveling is a much debated subject there are several threads on that.

What I found best for me was to scroll through the different forums and read what interested me. I learned a lot, and also learned both sides of many different issues and I am still learning more and more.

Read up on how to care for you batteries.

Search for a few checks lists such as starting out, and pulling in. Those are very helpful in making sure things are done that need to be done.

Don't let yourself be rushed while working the check list. My mistakes came as a result of just that.
Research about the things you want to buy online here before buying.

Make your first trip close to home that way you can dash home if needed to get something major.

As suggested, make a list of things needed and things not needed, this was so helpful!

Search for Newbies and you will see several threads that give wonderful advice.

Be friendly to everybody, the friendliest are those that RV Monday to Thursday.

Practice backing up! and again and again. Find a large parking lot and set out markers and learn to back into it.
Work out a backing nomenclature now before you get to your site. A little to the left or right depends on who's left or right and which way one is facing. Wife and I use passenger side and driver side. Driver be patient with your guide or you will be backing alone next time! It takes time to work things out, see parking lot advice

Practice taking your hitch on and off. If you can, do it twice at the dealership while video taping their advice.

Look HIGH look LOW also!
Before going down a road that looks okay make sure there is an exit, otherwise you will be thankful you practiced backing up.

Go to YouTube and watch a bunch of different how to RV videos from different people. Find the ones you like and follow them.
List goes on and on.

All leads down to Study and Practice, patience, and don't' get rushed.

Thank you,

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #9

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Don't lock yourself out. Apparently the doors can vibrate enough on closing to sometimes engage the lock. We have our AS keys on a lanyard and each wear them on our person when we are not inside the trailer.
Keep a list of places you stay, what campsite number you had, and other "good" campsites you would want to be at at that campground. This makes it easier when making reservations the next time. Google maps/earth is good to look over the campgrounds when choosing a site.

See learned something new just now, didn't even think of the above.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:18 PM   #10

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
P.S. Get the phone app version of this board, it is helpful when you are not near a computer and you are having troubles. Good for reading while in lines and bored.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
The forums are your friend. The longer you poke around here the better off you'll be.

Random ramp up things -

The gas/electric switches for the water heater in the bathroom are super easy to hit mistakenly. (i think we have the same set up?)

Keep some disposable gloves and handiwipes in the TV to make clean up easier after dumping the tanks. Oh - we carry our own water hose for use at the dump station - the ones provided aren't always reliable.

It will take longer than you expect to get the fridge cold. Start early. And it might not stay on while traveling (gas can blow out). So - we carry a cooler with ice till we get where we're going.

X-chocks really do make a big difference in stability when you're parked. (I doubted, I was wrong)

When you're parked, make sure you're leveled so the shower will drain (for us it's slightly forward and street side).

(no matter what it is) it will shake around/loose while you're on the road. when in doubt - put it on the bed/floor. the paper towels and toilet paper will unroll. screws will unscrew. the cutting board / sink cover thing will be in the floor etc. And at least once you'll leave too much water in the toilet bowl while traveling. But that's why you'll always have an extra roll of paper towels in the closet.

Good Luck and Safe Travels!

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
FWIW, your Airstream has a water pressure regulator already built into the freshwater connection. However, if you are in a park with high water pressure, you may want to put a regulator on the hose bib so your hose doesn't swell and burst!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
It's supposed to be fun. Keep it so.

I took my motorhome on a rally once, dry camping. (no facilities) I was fine. On the last day we all queued up to dump our tanks.
The site had a place for two RV's at once, so there were lines from both directions. I thought I was an expert and was going to show these rookies how it was done. Except there was mud right by my step so I pulled a bit farther away. That meant my hose wouldn't reach. No problem, I had a second segment. With the two joined I started emptying the tanks. When I got to the grey water, the joint of the two blew apart spewing water everywhere. The guy across from me said, "At least it wasn't the black tank." I looked at the two ladies behind me and they sat with arms crossed. I felt terrible and left with my head down.
It's a learning experience. Everyone tells me to watch "RV", the movie with Robin Williams. I guess everything possible happened to him.

BTW, my city water hose had a pressure regulator (even though the RV had one inside, I didn't know.) then a filter and at the RV end a quick disconnect so the hose just snapped on. Easy.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntersville , North Carolina
One more thing ...

In terms of stuff that will shake loose while on the road - the shower head. We love our Oxigenics shower head. The first one, and the replacement we had to buy because we left the first one hanging in it's holder ... it bounced out and cracked. Now we put it on the floor of the shower for travel.

"To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring -- it was peace." M. Kundera
Ruffn It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Take a lot of advice with a grain of salt, be practical. Your Airstream has a built-in water pressure regulator, and your freezer will thaw out and food may spoil if you turn off the fridge while traveling in warm weather for a length of time.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Between Here and There and Nowhere , what have you got?
RV sales are already 12% over what they were this time last year. Get out there before everything is gone .
openroad118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A kneeling pad of some sort. Like those sold for gardening work or the equivalent...

I use a thick rectangular foam piece that began life as a packing material for something. When I'm trying to work on something close to the ground, etc, the pad is MUCH easier on my knobby old knees than the ground, especially if I happen to be wearing shorts.

The pad gets dirty--I keep it in the 'setup box' in the TV...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Stay off the interstates, Always good to start our on local roads, takes a little more time but worth the trip.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Advice?
Have fun!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
After a hundred miles or so, check and tighten your lug nuts! 110 lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench, check them with a tire iron. They get loose!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote