Old 06-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
Water Regulator?

We've just had a very exciting weekend with a bunch of water issues. (If it was my old Catalina 30 we would have abandoned ship by now.) It lead me to start wondering... Is there a problem with varying water pressure at campgrounds? Is it possible that at some the water pressure is extremely high, particularly when the campground is only 1/2 full? If so, do I need to get a washer regulator to hook up to my washer supply? Any recommendations ?

Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I use a water regulator at the spigot just in case.

CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I use an adjustable regulator attached to the faucet. So far so good, no issues.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Hmmm I thought all the modern Airstream's had built in water regulators. What problems did you have?
ArkFortyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
My '73 Argosy has a built in pressure regulator on the shore water hookup. First thing on the wall inboard of the connector.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
We've just had a very exciting weekend with a bunch of water issues. (If it was my old Catalina 30 we would have abandoned ship by now.) It lead me to start wondering... Is there a problem with varying water pressure at campgrounds? Is it possible that at some the water pressure is extremely high, particularly when the campground is only 1/2 full? If so, do I need to get a washer regulator to hook up to my washer supply? Any recommendations ?
Your trailer has a built in pressure regulator. If it is functioning correctly, it should reduce the pressure inside to ~65 psi. (see page 5-6 in your owner's manual)

If you add a pressure regulator to the hose bib at the campground it might help protect the hose. But it will also somewhat restrict flow noticeably at times there is low pressure. I carry one, but only use it when there is high pressure.

Describe the issues you had. Maybe someone can suggest a fix.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yes you need one and those things that go on the end of the hose are really flow restrictors more than anything else. All Airstream came with a brass adjustable water pressure regulator. It if is old it should be replaced because they fail. The danger is the water pressure in some places is way over 100psi. This will cause the crappy plastic plumbing and rubber hoses to break inside your trailer. As these regulators age, the pressure will creep up over a few minutes till it is at the supply pressure. The pressure at my house was like 130psi which is twice what it should be and stuff starts to fail. The old one in my trailer no longer worked. I bought a new one from Lowes and it allowed the pressure to creep up. Which makes it useless. It is best to have a regulator that is adjustable and has a pressure gage on the supply and low side so you know what the supply pressure is and so you know the regulator is working. If you turn off the water and the down stream pressure starts to creep up to the supply pressure, the regulator is bad. So trailers even had a relief valve that would blow when the pressure got high enough. It would dump water overboard but it would protect the plumbing. The first regulator I got from Lowes was about $50 and it creeped up when new. I took it back and go the $70 one and it worked fine and has a removable filter that can be cleaned. Most houses have enough small leaks so a slightly leaking regulator is not a big deal. A trailer is much smaller and has fewer sources of leaks so the pressure can build up to the supply pressure pretty fast. These bad regulators usually do a good job of regulating pressure when there is water flowing through them but as soon as the flow stops the pressure will build up.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Atlanta , Georgia
A complete description would read like The Odyssey, but here's the Cliffs Notes. We arrived at a state Park, plugged in the electric, hooked up the water ... And while I was fixing stuff up outside for our stay, my wife very calmly informed me that we had water leaking from the toilet. A little investigation showed it was the clean water supply, leaking at the fitting on the toilet. (I turned it off.) Fast forward four days. After various other water mishaps, we discovered that everything in the cupboard below the sink was soaked. Filling the sink didn't produce a leak, the waste water connections all seemed sound... But there might have been a bit of a drip from the supply lines. The water we found under the sink was more than I'd expect from a slight drip, but water is funny stuff. Anyway, I started to wonder if it's possible that these possible fitting problem are the result of extremely high water pressure. Our Airstream is a 2014 Bambi 22.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Airstreams have a factory water pressure regulator at the external city water hookup. They also have a factory temperature and pressure relief valve on the water heater to protect the plumbing from excess pressure in the plumbing system.

We added a third protection, a water pressure accumulator into the water line under the bath sink, this device absorbs excess pressure in the system from thermal expansion in the plumbing and smooths operation of the faucets and water pump.

A regulator at the campground spigot doesn't make sense to me.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I use a water regulator at the spigot just in case.
Me too. I was told that there was one inside on the city water connection, but to be sure I left one attached to my hose and filter. I think the preset ones are around 45 psi. I never had a problem.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
ottawa , Ontario
this is our watts pressure regulator and whole trailer high throughput filter. we set the limit to 60 psi

The upper and lower red shut off valves all water to go through the regulator and filter. the one on the left is a bypass. thus i can use use one or the other paths. this is useful for regular MTCE or if there is an issue with the regular or main filter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pressure regulater and shut off vales under closet.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	286828   Click image for larger version

Name:	whole trailer filter.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	286829  

waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
All pressure regulators are not the inline brass type. Some are a combination inlet and pressure regulator. Like this:
http://shurflo.com/images/item/modal...-14_029-14.jpg

I prefer the inline type, because I have had the through wall type fail.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
A complete description would read like The Odyssey, but here's the Cliffs Notes. We arrived at a state Park, plugged in the electric, hooked up the water ... And while I was fixing stuff up outside for our stay, my wife very calmly informed me that we had water leaking from the toilet. A little investigation showed it was the clean water supply, leaking at the fitting on the toilet. (I turned it off.) Fast forward four days. After various other water mishaps, we discovered that everything in the cupboard below the sink was soaked. Filling the sink didn't produce a leak, the waste water connections all seemed sound... But there might have been a bit of a drip from the supply lines. The water we found under the sink was more than I'd expect from a slight drip, but water is funny stuff. Anyway, I started to wonder if it's possible that these possible fitting problem are the result of extremely high water pressure. Our Airstream is a 2014 Bambi 22.
None of the things you described sound like high pressure issues to me.

The connection at the toilet sounds like a loose connection (you should be able to hand tighten). If it is not a loose connection I suspect water might have been left in it last winter and the valve is cracked from freezing. Were you able to turn it back on without it leaking?

Under the sink could be many things.

I've had all of these at one time or another:
Loose connection where pipe connects to the faucet
Loose connection between the spray hose and the spray nozzle
Loose connection where the spray hose connects to the faucet
Filter not set properly in the base
Frozen/cracked under sink filter
Nuts loose on the trap pipe slip connections
Compression washer missing on the trap pipe connections
Nut loose where the drain pipe connect to the sink strainer
Failed putty between the sink strainer and the sink
The most unlikely would be a leaking pipe, but it could be.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #14
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Good information provided - thanks. Like the idea of a pressure accumulator. Like the concept of moving the pressure regulator outside and setting to more like 40 psi than 65 psi. Like the exterior water filter, but a 90 degree fitting is needed to properly support it. Likely the old "get the failure points out of the boat" concepts at work here, but old habits die slowly. Those internal solutions look quite professional and good regulators, while more pricey, last a long time.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas to keep them dry. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote