Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Did the airstreamforums site influence you in buying your Airstream?
Yes, the site influenced me and I bought a used unit. 236 34.35%
Yes, the site influenced me and I bought a new unit. 88 12.81%
No, I already owned one or would have bought one anyway even if the forum didn't exist. 363 52.84%
Voters: 687. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2003, 04:03 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Thumbs up Was this site instrumental in you buying your Airstream?

We have had over 4000 members and countless guests. I'm not sure how many owners we have at this point but I'm curious about those of you who are Airstream owners. Did this site provide you the reason or possibly the information you needed to decide to purchase your new or used Airstream? Can you say, "Yea because of you guys I bought an Airstream."?

Comments of course are welcome too!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:35 PM   #2
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
The poll seems limited to me. I know you want marketing info and are looking for a hard results tallys, but could we add, "It did not influence my decision, but I would not do without it" That would have been my answer. The info is invaluable.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 04:40 PM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by trumpwer
The poll seems limited to me. I know you want marketing info and are looking for a hard results tallys, but could we add, "It did not influence my decision, but I would not do without it" That would have been my answer. The info is invaluable.
Yes in this context it was meant to be limited, but my intent is not for advertising or any money making purposes. I bought my trailer prior to this forum but I agree 100% that the site not only has brought me great information, but has also allowed me to meet a lot of nice people.

I think if I had asked the value question, the results would of been a no-brainer. I think we have seen the countless posts of thanks and support of all the membership. That fact that there are over 2,400 of you out there speaks of the value.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I probably speak for others when I say...

I actually purchased my Bambi because we were starting to look for a nice (and small) trailer, and I had wanted an Airstream all my life. I'm 55 now, and I saw my first A/S when I was about 20. When we bought the Bambi, I immediately sat down at the computer to find a resource for hints, information and fellowship from other owners. Needless to say, I found it here!

Cherie
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
Please dont confuse my using the word "marketing" to imply any profit motive, it was meant to be discriptive of the type of info being gathered and how it was gathered.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I found the forum after I discovered old AS were restorable, and was interested in getting one. I restored a couple 68 mustangs previously, and the vintage-mustang.com forum was invaluable in those efforts. I literally couldn't have done many of the things I did without that instant feedback from mustangers all over the country who'd done it all before. So I was delighted to find this forum. It really made me feel like getting an older unit was something I should do, because if I had trouble, there's a place where I can ask for technical help.

Of course that's just the beginning. Then there's the advice I got about buying one, about towing safely, about how much people enjoyed theirs and trips they'd taken. I wouldn't have understood just what a quality trailer AS made without the experiences of people who owned vintage units.

Also, the forum really helped sell me on the whole concept. Since this is our first trailer, first RVing experience, I doubt I would have gone with an older unit if I didn't have this knowledge base, in fact we probably wouldn't have an RV at all right now. Wouldn't that be a shame?

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 11:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I knew I wanted to get an Airstream, but really knew nothing about them. I'm one of those people that like to do a lot of background work so I at least know what to look for, be able to ask the right questions, and know if the answer is what I want to hear.

This forum did help me decide on getting a vintage unit instead of something newer and help in what size to get and towing advice.

Thanks to all of you experts, I can fake sounding like one! I had to give up on my friend that is towing her 20' Airstream with a Ford Ranger. She has the means to buy a decent tow vehicle, but won't because, "I can go 65mph up the hills with no problem."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
"To Buy or Not To Buy . . . . "

We started out looking at Woodall's Travel site. A friend said we could rent a unit from them for a tour. Then the thought "why not buy something and do some winter travel away from MI for a few weeks or whatever?" One thing led to another, I found an Avion site and asked some Q's about one we saw parked in a yard. Then somehow or other I found Airstreamforums.com and some months later we now have our Tradewind. I believe the Forums and all it has to offer - knowledge and especially the fine people gathered here - is a MAJOR reason we have our A/S.
The only problem I have with the A/SF is the inability to vote in any poll. There is a problem and I won't be able to do anything about it even if someone tells me what's wrong! So, Jack, sign me up for "bought a used A/S because of the forums" could ya please??

Thanks, suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
SBS
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs down

My first post. A negative one.

This poll is too limited.

Tends to suggest that members of this Forum are required to be cheer leaders for anything with the name Airstream on it. Nothing negative should be heard.
Poll me out.
SBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:26 PM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by SBS
My first post. A negative one.

This poll is too limited.

Tends to suggest that members of this Forum are required to be cheer leaders for anything with the name Airstream on it. Nothing negative should be heard.
Poll me out.
SBS,

No where in the charter of this site is this implied or asked for. The poll is a question that passed through my mind. I assume that those of you who don't own an Airstream, were not influenced to buy from the site or just don't like them will not answer. Lack of response to the poll carries its own implications.

If you would like to do a survey that incompasses the areas you believe important, be our guest. Please be aware there are community policies that we must all adhere to, myself included. Please review them and you will see there is no cheerleader requirement. We have no affiliation with the Airstream corporation and if you research the various threads over the past year and a half, you will not find that all posts were pro Airstream.

http://www.airforums.com/policies.html

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-02-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Was this site instrmental in you buying your airstream

the forums plus the link below provided me with the infomation needed about airstreams. Armed with this knowledge and approval from the treasurer I bought my 1981 Excella Motorhome
in Nov 2002

http://www.geocities.com/fredhinds/a...airstream.html
jpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 11:03 AM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I bought my shiny bullet a month prior to joining this board. I took delivery a week after joining this board.

Being part of this board has been an awesome experience.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-17-2003, 03:54 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I got on this forum after I signed the letters of intent at the RV show. It turned out I did get a pretty good deal.....

However, now that I'm considering an upgrade from the Bambi to the 25' Safari "SS", the info I have gained here has been a pricless tool that I have used to get specs on, deal with dealers about, etc.

Heck, made a few friends along the way too that have the same fire in the gut about the same things too!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Talking Airstreamforums has guided my purchase

Hi! - new member here - 1st post on my way to RIVET MASTER!!

I think this poll, while simple, is very interesting in it's results. Most of you have made the Airstream decision without the need for the forum. I was just the opposite!!

I have to tell you, when I sold my '91 VW Westfalia after putting 225K miles on it , I went through camper shock!! No where to go on the weekends! The master plan was to move up to a monster 5th wheel and drag on down the road to paradise but somewhere along the way, my sweetie whispered "Airstream" in my ear and we diverted from the master plan a little bit. Long story short, I've lurked here long enough to get up the courage to buy a '78 Tradewind International on EBay -- for too much money! -- and now I'm heading for El Dorado, AR this w/e to pick up the BST (Big Silver Twinkie) and begin our next adventure - AIRSTREAMING!!!!

( All I can picture with that word, AIRSTREAMING, is my pup with his head out the window and his tongue flapping in the breeze - sorry! )

This forum was absolutely critical in providing detailed info on plusses and pitfalls of purchasing a previously owned vintage Airstream. At least I knew a few of the things to look for when I inspected this trailer.

Any trailer this old will have plenty of things wrong but, I feel that this site has a how-to for every problem - from musty interiors to dented exteriors.

Yea, because of you guys I bought an Airstream.

Should be an interesting journey!!!

Regards,

Bob

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First of all, welcome to the Airstream "family" and the Forums "BOBHAST"!
Quote:
Most of you have made the Airstream decision without the need for the forum.
Keep in mind that this forum is just now coming up on two years old and a lot of folks have have owned their Airstreams much longer than that...had it been around when we purchased ours, my answer to this poll probably would have been different because I searched, read & re-read EVERYTHING that I could find online when purchasing ours. I'm sure the longer this forum exists, more & more folks will be answering "Yes" to this poll ~

Good luck with your road-trip this weekend!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #16

Fenton , Missouri
This forum wasn't in existance at the time I bought my Safari. I did do a lot of Internet searching and conversing on the RV forum on Compuserve. The Compuserve forum was fairly negative and I probably heard more bad than good. Some of the folks there noted that anything new wasn't an Airstream but instead was to be considered a "Thorstream".

Luckily I did find the Yahoo Airstream listserve group that pretty much answered my questions and got me feeling pretty good about my decision. This sight has moved beyond what the Yahoo group offers due to the fact that its a website and not a list serve and our search capabilities are far better.

Obviously if I were a newbe the resources here would have definately influenced me.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-06-2004, 02:33 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Go BOB Go!

My situation is the same as Shari's and Jacks.

And it ain't over yet for you. It's just begun.

I have used this forum for so many things - to get and share data since I bought my round shiny.

You will have many Q's, so you can end the lurking and ask that Q or share a discovery, cause that's what this forum is about.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-17-2004, 11:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Buyers Support

We purchased our current travel-trailer based on info from their web-site (a Casita 17'). The help was 'priceless'. We have been pleased with the unit but have now decided to purchase an A/S, which is what I wanted from the beginning. The cost was a concern especially since we had no real travel-trailer experience. After 2 years & a lot of trips we feel comfortable with up-grading to an Airstream. We are looking to this site to provide us with the same level of purchase info & support we have become used to at the Casita-Site.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Smile Happy Owners!

We purchased our 2000 Safari from this site! We also sold our Caravel with help from this site. What a great resource for anyone into "Airstreams!".
Tin Can Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Welcome Bob!

Altough the reason for buying a new A/S was the RV show, this site has been invaluable in answering the dozens of questions I've had since buying. Actually I've become addicted. But's it a good addiction!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote