Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by uwe
....right, many are a lot more.....
Yeah, I know!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
The list is endless.....

To compare vintage to new is like the old saying "apples to oranges". You just can't It's up to the individual an his (or hers) personal desires and abilities at that point in their life that comes into play when picking out the AS.

Many of you say very simular things "I started with XXX (vintage) then years later found the 200X model that made me happy", and your finances were in place to buy the new one. When you have the skills to work on a vintage the task dosn't look so huge.

For me the major reason is allergies, sitting in my Father-in-laws new SOB, with that "NEW TRAILER" smell of all sorts of chemicals and solvents in the air nearly shut down my lungs and sinus. Required a quick trip to the hospital. Made camping out a real misery. So vintage with mostly older adhesives and completely vented out furniture was a must for me. I enjoy the camping life and my Caravel was the bridge to continue that with my wife (NO MORE TENTS!). Other reasons come into play and the time was right for me. We moved into our new house 2 years ago after I completely restored our previous home of 16.5 years, an 80 year old cottage on the Mississippi Gulf Coast that we sold. I have a shop of my dreams now with NOTHING to do. Most weekends were spent searching for a blown lightbulb to change. Now I have "Lucille" and my weekends are whole again with frustration over water leaks in the plumbing, questionable wiring, gas appliances that look like bombs in the making - I'M IN HEAVEN...

Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Value your input

Thank you for all of your valuable input. I'm hearing some consistency in opinions. We are narrowing down the wish-list I believe priorities are:
1) Floor plan
2) Condition
3) Age
4) Price

2,3,4 are all directly proportional. If you buy an older model it inevitably will need more $s to bring it up to long haul cross-country standards. You can save some now by buying one in need of more repairs but it will need to be spent later. Floor plan and look seem to be the real variables where opinions vary. So more research and soul searching needed. The easy part was decided a long time ago... It will ONLY be an Airstream besides, I bought the fold down Airstream hich receiver when I bought the truck 9 months ago ...Picture to come.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
AZstreamin, I see you made your decision, a 2005!

We are in the same boat as you, vintage vs. new.
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #33
1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Vintage doesn't mean only trailers! There are AS motorhomes well over 25 years old - - mine is 27 - - that are running and all systemsd working because of lots of enjoyable work restoring and fixing. Restoring and maintaining a vintage RV of any sort is nt a job; it's a career.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Send a message via Skype™ to WILDRTEXAS
Vintage for me.
Love the challanges of the vintage trailers. Love creating my AS into a reflection of my interests and personality. When I bought it, it was all working original, now its a blank canvas...NAKED. I dig the new Airstreams, but Id HATE to make payments on something new.
PS. Have many pieces and parts for sale 1970 International Overlander.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion...

Taylor 1/20/96 - 11/28/08

WILDRTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #35
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I like vintage because .... well, I guess because I'm vintage.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #36
on the hunt
Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
If your like me you go with what ever your budget will let you get. If that means something old and needs restored then get it. If it is brand spankin new the have fun camping tomorrow. but from what Ive seen some of the "vintage" trailers that have been completely restored go for almost as much as a new one.
but If your wanting something not so vintage and usable for a good price the mid 80's to early 90's are going for a reasonable price and there ready to use most of them any way.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
We rescued a '69 Tradewind that had actually floated in a flood near the Oregon coast. It wasn't perfect inside...which was great because we wanted to add our personal touches...but then as it became clear that the "quick cleanup" was much more extensive we started designing our dream interior. 2.5 years later.....voila!!! All of the design aesthetics of the era with many many modern amenities, which makes Glamper Girl very very happy

In your spare take, check out my's been adventure
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
We had a Vintage 72 Tradewind til last sept. When it was stolen. We had put a ton of work in her replacing Fridge furnace gaucho toilet lights and even put real wood veneers over the plastic paneling. Then new Axels and brakes and shocks. After about 16k invested she was our own creation unlike any other trailer. In about 30 minutes someone cut all the locks and she was gone. We looked at a few other Vintage trailers but there was too much pain in all that cause it only made us want our trailer back. So we left the vintage world and bought a 2006 Safari 25FBSe. It's a beautiful thing and we love it? Don't have to fix things every time we go out and bring a tool case to work on some project. We learned that there's been a few improvements over the 35 years. We miss the Vintage world and our trailer but are very happy with the new trailer feeling. In the end we're still Airstreamers.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member
Severna Park , Maryland
There has been a development since this question was originally posted, i.e. a major recession. If the cost of new has been a deciding factor, maybe it would not be now. We purchased new in 2010 and got a significant discount off of list on a 2009 "leftover".
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I have to divulge that I lusted over the newer Airstream that came in yesterday. It was a moment of weakness. I'm over it now.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
Seems to m it depends on what your plans are. For my wife and I we want to snow bird 4-6 months per year so we needed something well equipped and lower maintenance. I would have loved to purchase brand new, but I think I got more than I would otherwise been able to afford by purchase a slightly used AS.

2006 Safari 28' SE (Sylvia)
75th Anniversary Edition
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote