Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Community Polls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Why did you choose one over the other: travel trailer or motorhome?
Better mpg with tow vehicle 29 17.90%
Easier to set up camp 31 19.14%
smaller vehicle available for "around the town" driving 45 27.78%
Safety 11 6.79%
Maneuverability 22 13.58%
Other 94 58.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2004, 04:20 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener
At a recent rally, we noted about an even number of travel trailers and motorhomes. Would be interested to know the reasons for choosing one over the other.
We haven't made the plunge yet, but our thinking so far is:
travel trailer pro's: have smaller vehicle available for "around the town" driving
maybe they hold their value better?
economy - usually better mpg on tow vehicle
motorhome pro's: easier set-up and departure at site
What choice have you made and why?
We went with a trailer, for several reasons:
1-Insurance is much cheaper for a trailer, than another motor-driven vehicle.
2-No engine or transmission to give problems in a trailer.
3-Tow vehicle is not limited to towing the trailer, we can use it to pull other stuff.
4-It is easier to get in and out of a trailer (lower to the ground and less steps), very important for two people with arthritis.
5-We can toss additional items in the bed of the truck, or the back of the van, without worrying about ruining a MH's upholstery.
6-If, god forbid, the tow vehicle is in an accident or breaks down, there is theoretically a chance of continuing the trip with a different tow vehicle, if you blow the engine in the MoHo, you are done.
7-The trailer without the mechanicals of the MH are easier to work on.
8-The trailer was significantly less money to purchase than a comparable MH.
Terry
Old 12-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Short of being able to afford a diesel pusher, or other steel-bodied bus type motorhome, safety was the single issue that caused me to switch to a trailer and substantial tow vehicle. I loved the convenience of the motorhome and the view from the big plate glass windshields - and, yes, it was fun to drive; however, too many personal "white-knuckle" events, and too many pictures of motorhome accidents, tainted the experience unfavorably. Now, after 10,000 miles with the Airstream, I'm convinced the decision was the right one for me.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Recent switch to a Motor Home

In September we sold our beloved '75 tradewind and purchased a 28' Classic Motor Home. We decided to switch when we watched a couple pull in next to us in a campground set their levelers and put out their chairs all in under two minutes. I am disabled and this convenience suited me. We chose a 28' to remain mobile and not have to pull a car. So far so good. On a recent trip on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail my son and I made it to all the distilleries, down the back roads, into the little towns and were able to see everything we intended to see. We have driven it through downtown Ottowa, Canada to see the parliament buildings. A trip to Door County, Wisconsin found us parked in a state park each night and roaming each day. Set up is so easy we have no problem leaving and coming back at night. Visibility is great and the sightseeing was never better. An added bonus is winter camping since the motor home is so well self contained we have been able to keep right on camping. We just returned from a trip to Columbus, Ohio with a stop over in Jackson Center for New Years Eve!
Our shiny silver "Chummy" is in the shop for its first scheduled maintenance since we got it. Maybe I will change my tune after I get the bill but right now I am singing a happy song.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Airstream makes motorhomes???

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Had a class C SOB motorhome. It was great fun except doing repairs and service. Husband, a motorcycle mechanic, doesn't mind wrenching motorcycles, hates wrenching cars, trucks and RVs. He made me swear not to buy a motorhome. Went along with the trailer. So trailer it is. Other=husband's aversion to working on anything besides motorcycles.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TricoastalJoey
Having owned an Argosy26' trailer,Argosy 28' Motorhome , Due to health reasons I am switching back to a 34' Airstream trailer to fulltime in. Not having to repack the motorhome to move about the area's during visits, more interior space,larger bedroom area you can leave undetailed, the dogs prefer a large trailer to sleep in!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
It's a religious debate...

There were couple threads similary long ago.. After 20+ years of RV adventures, motorhoming and trailering are like Episcopalian and Catholics.. People who prefer motorhomes pull cars and think it's normal, trailer people drive off in their tow vehicle and wonder why anyeone would pull a vehicle behind the motorhome... (And I don't know what religious metaphor applies to pop-up tent campers... )

There are a couple other reasons to make choices... If you already have a towing vehicle, pre-owned trailers are very economical for folks who still work and can use less than 3 or 3 weeks per year.. In some locations, Motorhomes can be parked on streets for longer periods than trailers before tickets and tow warnings begin to appear, especially if they move every few days. We'd tried MH before prior trailer, but our style was to drive, arrive and then head out for local tourism and adventure.. Hooking and unhooking hoses and plugs and jacking up and down each time we moved was too painful, and places we visited had no room to park a MH. I suppose dry camping in MH addresses hookup dance, but then you're still in a vehicle too large for most parking lots...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Since I can't get a motorhome down logging roads in the deep woods this was one of the reasons for choosing the travel trailer over a motorhome. In addition, I wanted the capability to unhook once I get to a vacation site and see the sights without a parking problem.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:11 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Airstream makes motorhomes???

and I thought that was all they made
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Had a MH before... it got terrible mileage, was a pain to tour an area after you set up camp, was very loud and rough while driving, and expensive to maintain. It was so expensive to run that hotels started to sound like a bargain!

I tow my trailer with my company car (no gasoline, insurance, maintenance, or repair bills on the TV, and minimal on the trailer itself). It's great to arrive at a State Park, Forest Service, or NPS campsite (most sites are too small for a big MH), unhitch, and explore the area with the TV.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
We had a Coleman popup for 2 years. We went everywhere with it and never hesitated hooking it up and going. On the last trip we had a solid week of rain on the Oregon coast and decided it was time to get a hardbody trailer.

Then we got real lucky and found a '76 25' Tradewind in good shape. We did a number of repairs in the first two years of ownership, and it was rock solid after that. We went just about everywhere with this. The biggest trip was from Washington state to Newfoundland and back with 2 Newfoundland dogs. We got into about every campground we wanted to, and we also found it comfortable enough for two month summer holidays.

Then we made a big mistake. We sold the Tradewind and got a Monaco diesel pusher. At the time with a job change that involved a lot of travel, we were going to be living out of the motorhome. We needed more space, especially storage. We wanted a generator so we could keep our dogs in an A/C environment all the time. We loved it once we were parked. We didn't like driving it and only used the Interstates. And when it was in for repairs we always felt we were at the mercy of someone else.

We sold the Monaco after 4 years of heavy use - we slept in it over 500 nights during that time. But we sold it for about half of what we paid. And now we are searching again for our ideal recreational vehicle - another 25' mid seventies Airstream.

There is a huge difference in driving a motorhome vs. pulling an Airstream trailer. We made the effort of going through TWO truck driving schools to get expert instruction. It scares me to think of all the 40' motorhome drivers out there that just moved up from their car or SUV. We towed a Durrango as our dingy and had the type of dingy hitch where backing up wasn't an option unless you wanted to do serious damage to your toad's steering. So imagine driving a 40' vehicle with a 16' toad attached and you really shouldn't be backing up. We had to be constantly alert and forever planning ahead. Many times we would detach the toad and investigate what was ahead to see if we could get through.

Then there was the regular maintenance and unscheduled repairs. These will happen a lot more with a MH than a trailer. The diesel's regular service started at $250 and went up from there. The unscheduled repairs invariably involved getting a part that wasn't in stock, so the hotel stayover always turned into a multi-day event.

Everything took more effort and $$$s. Our motorhome took all the spontaneity out of traveling. The depreciation costs were an eye opener, and it was hard to get out of any unscheduled rapair for less than $1000.

When friends give me all their reasons for why they believe a motor home is right for them, my only response is to keep the size down to as small as you can get away with and be ready for the expense, especially if you have convinced yourself to get a diesel pusher. Regarding size and maneuverability - there is no comparison with an AS 34' trailer and a 40' MH. The big AS trailer can get into places I wouldn't ever try with the big MH.

- Mike
air19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
(And I don't know what religious metaphor applies to pop-up tent campers... )

John McG
Hold on, let me get my asbestos gloves and flame-retardent suit on....
Moonies? Hare Krishna?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I missed this thread when it started--but reading through it made me realize that I just don't get one thing... Folks talk about sleeping, cooking, using facilities etc. while driving on the road as an advantage to a motorhome. Huh? Aren't passengers required to stay buckled into seats when moving?

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I missed this thread when it started--but reading through it made me realize that I just don't get one thing... Folks talk about sleeping, cooking, using facilities etc. while driving on the road as an advantage to a motorhome. Huh? Aren't passengers required to stay buckled into seats when moving?

Mary
It depends on which state you are driving in at the time. Seat belt laws differ as to who has to wear them. I think 48 or 49 of 50 states require seat belts be used, the difference is which passengers. Some states, like California, require all passengers to be belted in, no matter where they are in the vehicle, but Florida only requires front seat passengers, and of course children under a certain age, to be belted.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Thanks Terry..

Thanks for trying to get ME in trouble with the Moonies and Hare Krishna's.. In 25 years of recent camping with Airstream and Nomad trailer, plus tenting and VW Westfalia camping, hardly anything is more entertaining than starting a dialogue in a campground about "the best camper type" and then sitting back and watching various religious adherents get increasingly agitated defending their "religious beliefs"... As is true on any Sunday, people are happy practicing their faith in trailers, motorhomes, tents, Vans and other combos' which work for them... Not worth an argument, and "religious conversions" do happen, but they're rare... Try to enjoy the entertainment next time such a discussion breaks out around you, and count how many minds actually are changed...

And as for people walking around in fast-moving motorhomes, using rest rooms and kitchen on the fly, (bad metaphor??), many local police officers have proven conclusively that a significant portion of the motoring public are just not inclined to always do the safe and sane behavior on the road... Our local paper ran feature on "most bizarre behavior while driving on freeway" and answers ranged from actively working breast pump to reading paperback novels to changing clothes and eating sandwich while holding drink cup.. Our area also has many shops that will re-wire LCD TV's in cars to allow driver to watch videos while driving in front seat..

I've not seen Airstream MH having a wreck, but I have seen SOB Class C do a triple roll and end-over-end flip on a freeway, and it becomes an explosion of toothpicks and aluminum sheet... Belted driver survived, though he landed after last roll in a convertible chassis, with trail of busted furniture and cushions behind him.. I wouldn't have wanted to be in the head...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Post It's a trailer for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
(And I don't know what religious metaphor applies to pop-up tent campers... )
John McG
-pop up tent campers? Definitely Amish.

I chose a trailer so that I wouldn't need to pay for three power plants, regular car, moho and toad. The recent thread about the $14K engine replacement made sigh with relief - I could almost replace a tow vehicle for that! I get a bit antsy backing a 22ft trailer into a small space, a 30 or 40 ft motor home that's over 12 ft high? Stress I don't need.

I also like the fact that I CAN'T take it all with me. Most of us use 10% of the stuff we have, and that's about all you can get in the average A/S. To me Airstreaming is about community, meeting new friends, storing beautiful memories and not about saying "my RV can beat up your RV". My status symbols are a well funded retirement plan, zero debt, and a home I can thoroughly clean from one end to the other in an hour, not four days. (OK the outside is gonna take longer particularly when I Walberize, but that's not a weekly thing - and I could HIRE someone to do it without breaking the bank.

I also plan to buy a custom made welcome mat that says "Martha Stewart does NOT live here" and do away with all of the heart shaped cake pans, punch bowls other useless kitchen gadgets. And if I get in the mood to cook my world famous meatloaf (people have come to blows over the last slice) I'll do it in disposable aluminum pans.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Interesting reading this thread....

We are looking at the possibility of a MH rather than our daunting task of searching for that perfect 60's 25-27 ft trailer.

I agree there are pros and cons to both - and everyones needs and circumstances are different.

As I read through this thread I got the distinct impression that the word Motor-home = 40 ft "Bus" perception by most. Also at one end of the spectrum there is the "full timers" either in the 34ft TT's or the 34-40ft MH's each with their own issues.

How about the other end of the spectrum - not the tiny but the mid size. We have a 21ft TT and pull with a 16ft Yukon - that = 37 ft of vehicle - grant it she bends in the middle - but if in a crash she can still flip the tow vehicle.

We are not on the retirement scene yet - but are not spring chickens either so the tent scene has come and gone. But the "Wendy" house concept of TT's is very much an attraction to us. It is just plain "cute" and "fun" to have all the amenities in a compact vehicle/trailer.

The Vintage aspect is of course another huge attraction. There has been this nagging curiosity since our trip South - of what it would be like to do the same trip in a similar size Motor-home. Knowing that AS does not make the small "cute" ones anymore I started to do some searching.....okay that great article in the Airstream Life Mag really tweaked my interest and Argosy's big windows would be pretty cool on a sight seeing trip across North-America.

After some real close buy's of what we thought might be a big mistake we decided to sit back for the summer and just look at all sorts of options.

I've glanced at the class C SOB's and the price tag that comes with a new vehicle - yikes - there goes our retirement savings... Although the lease/rent to own packages look interesting.

Moving onto the consistent comment of "several drive trains" and how it would affect us. Lets see we have a 2300lb boat that gets dragged from our house three minutes up the road to the launch and back at the end of the season. We have a 1500lb capacity landscape trailer - that grant it we do use on a regular basis. But a light duty truck could handle those duties even a really small SUV - which could double as a toad behind a 24-28 MH. Then there is the commuter vehicle - the civic si coupe which could also be used as the toad. The difference in fuel costs and general maintenance from the big block engines to the smaller day runners - might put us out ahead - or at least break even.

But what I see is towing a small enclosed UT with a kewl vintage Motorcycle with side car - keep all our other neat camping things like table chairs patio mat bbq extra cases of beer and well just stuff ya need. Remember we are not young but not dead yet either - so the wind in our hair doubled up on the cycle along with custom helmets for the pooches rigged into special harnesses in the side car with an optional pope dome would be quite the adventurous in-town touring vehicle. But if we had to we could tow a vintage MG convertible in the same UT with a bit more room and a trunk for trinkets and groceries - all the while the MH holds our campsite while we are gone.

Engines sitting.....we have had a snowmobile stored properly over the summer fired up no problem every winter. We have a big V8 Cid 305 200HP engine in our little 20 ft cuddy that is now been stored for 22 winters and trust me they are long either cold or damp winters from Oct - May 8 months of the year stored outside. Again properly winterized and stored she has fired up every time over the past 8 years we have had her.

Convenience of a small MH, maneuverability only 8 feet longer than our TV but if we had a bigger TV it would cut down to about 5 feet longer - that is not much in the big scheme of things. The access to the kitchen and/or bathroom and bed for snoozing comfortably is certainly pulling my vote.

Don't tell anyone but there are people out their who get up and move around in their MH's. And what about those in your big Burbs - don't tell me you stop every-time to reach for a can of pop or juice, or sandwich, snacks or other things like pillows, blankets and the like. So unless you have 5 ft arms - you have to undo that seat belt to reach into the back seat. Have you ever hung over the head rest and hit a bump - sure does wonders for the hunger pains and full bladders

Cost for a vintage MH (Argosy) - well by the time we picked up a 60's TT and fixed her all up you are looking at about the same price for a small vintage MH - but the appealing aspect of say the Argosy - is the statement made in that article that many of them are still on the road today and very serviceable.

Having a break down - well we did once with a snowmobile trailer and sled inside the day we bought it and borrowed someone's trailer - so we were not about to leave the trailer behind - that was a whopping bill to tow both together. There is NO WAY I would leave the GT alone on the side of the road!!!! It would be gone in a flash. How often can you find a replacement tow vehicle to continue your vacation if your TV dies and needs repair - you could be stuck in the middle of know where with a 34 TT - you might be lucky and get towed to a near by trailer park - ("trailer trash" comes to mind ).

I don't have a yeh or neigh for either yet - too new at TT'ering and have not experienced a MH yet... But if you could get what you are looking for in a MH that you have in a TT and were able to get by with a small one then I would think MH's would be a neat way to take on some serious traveling and still get the "cute" camping spots that those 20-26ft TT's are privy to.

Just a bit of thinking out loud.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 06:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we find that some moving around in the MH while drinving is ok for us. I drive typically 60 or under and stick to the right lanes. If my wife goes back and makes a sandwich or two, and grabs drinks out of the fridge, that is fine for us.
As for the long term engine maintenance...I start mine up pretty much once a week in the winter months, and if possible drive it around a few miles to warm everything up. Of course here in the south I don't have snow to contend with.
I have also found that once I got my rig past all the usual problem areas I have had little or no problems at all. In the past two yrs we have only had a furnace problem and very minor air bag issues, which I think was a clogged line.
The starter and alternator r&r with heat wrap, etc I did some time back has made a great difference in our lack of trouble.
I would be comfortable driving coast to coast at this point.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #39
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In the end you have to weigh the pros and cons of each and then decide, do I want to pull my camper with my vehicle or pull my vehicle with my camper.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #40

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We've kicked around the Class A motorhome vs. the trailer issue. For us this question will only become viable at retirement time. Quite honestly a motorhome needs to be driven. For someone still working and trying to find time to get away, a trailer makes a heck of a lot more sense. Just sitting, a motorhome deteriorates faster that a trailer. A lot more mechanicals. Things need to be run, greased, lubricated, and sitting in a storage lot those things don't happen. Repairs are another matter. Figure bigger tires, brakes for starters. Gasoline powered motorhomes have very poor gas mileage and those engines seem to have a higher tendency for breakdown due to the heavy loading and high operating temperatures. You can go to diesel but then consider that all repairs now probably have to be done by a repair facility that handles large trucks. More $$.

I think all this needs to be added to your equation.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote