Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
What a coincidence to run into nazz300's thread. I HAVE nazz's McKesh mirrors now. He sold them on eBay when he bought a new TV with maxed out mirrors. Then I camped next to nazz at the Georgia rally, he recognized the mirrors and we found he was the eBayer I had bought from. It's a small world.

I can tell you, McKesh's are great even the second time around. Once I have the mirrors adjusted where I want, tighten them down and they stay put even between uses. Moosetags is right, they are a pain to adjust when necessary. Takes less than a minute for me to take them off or put them on. Never had any road vibration, they stay steady, no vehicle damage or window problems. I do take them off when not hitched, its just so easy.

I had originally thought about Tow-n-See, but based on what I had read at the time I went with McKesh and haven't been sorry. To anyone thinking about McKesh I would recommend getting the two convex mirrors with the package for maximum coverage.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
...I had McKesh at one time and ended up selling them after all kinds of trouble with the window glass hanging up on them and the window gaskets being deformed. Also, I am mostly alone and getting the right side mirror properly adjusted was always a hassle.
I had the same problem and solved it by mounting a straight-action toggle clamp on them. It clamps up against the door trim and pulls the mirror frame away from the glass. Added benefit is that it was a firmer attachment with less vibration compared to the original.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1749.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	29189

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
I am very happy with my CIPA Universal Towing Mirrors - since the mirror housing protects the mirror from buffeting there is no vibration blur.

That said, those Schefenacker TTT mirrors look awfully sweet. If I towed with a full size pickup they would be my choice.
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #24
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
In Addition to Mirrors...

Regardless of which mirrors you are using consider the following tip if your AS permits. Danielle and I found a handy procedure that helps when we tow our AS - we open the front curtains and open the rear curtains. That allows us to see all the way through the trailer. Granted, this is not a substitute for mirrors, but it sure helps. In particular, when there's a small vehicle tailgating us I can see it through the rear view mirror but may miss it in the side view mirrors.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Schefenecker mirrors....

AgZep, Pahaska & all -

Happy Holidays!!!! All the best to all of you!!!!!

Santa was nice to me and the TV, Kelly. Brought a pair of the Schefenecker mirrors... Of course we have had 15 inches of snow that has prevented the install.... but it will happen.... when???

They are the "Full Monte" version. Yes, they are pricy, in fact it took me about 12 months to go thru the other versions that are available - clip on, suction cup, etc....Chose the TTT's becuase they are going to look the most OEM, NO on/off, easy adjustability, and additional visibility with the running/ turn signals in LED.... Also, read every mirror thread there was on ASF, and there were several cogent comments from people that had actual experience with all the various mirrors, towing and not. Those were really important, since the sales hype ALWAYS advocates in the affirmative for their particular product. In the end I wanted a plug and play mirror that had all the advantages listed above, and NONE of the negatives.

Of course, that was a nearly $460 choice ( $491 w/tax) that some might not make. I've just run over too many of the slide on, suction, clip mirrors to count... I want my investment to appreciate, not vibrate off and get run over!

Pahaska, saw that one of your posts mentioned issues with the accordian tube. Could you elaborate?? I was thinking of taking the compressor and 'blowing' string thru the tube as a cable puller - would that work, in your opinion? I've seen that work in confined, convoluted runs.... Just thinking here... I am open to any suggestions.

Be safe out there!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Pahaska, saw that one of your posts mentioned issues with the accordian tube. Could you elaborate?? I was thinking of taking the compressor and 'blowing' string thru the tube as a cable puller - would that work, in your opinion? I've seen that work in confined, convoluted runs.... Just thinking here... I am open to any suggestions.

Be safe out there!

Axel
That just might work. The instructions say to partially disconnect the accordian tube and I had a struggle, not only getting the wire through, but also getting the tube reattached.

I can't really give any advice since I can't remember what I did that finally made it work.

You will love the mirrors!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
What the heck, I'll try it!

John -

Thanks for the note back. I'll try the compressor variation to try to get that wire pulled. I'll report back after I attempt it....

Experiementation.... love it.... we'll see if it works!

Ciao

Axel
Old 12-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Schefenecker mirrors....

I've had them from day one on my tow vehicle. I'd get them again in a New York heartbeat. The only option I didn't get on mine was the in mirror blinking turn arrows... which would have added about another $70 to the cost. I must have gotten a great deal, because I paid about $400 including installation.

Being single, it's a pain in the neck to have to jump in and out six times to adjust the mirrors.

Another benefit that folks haven't mentioned is that you can adjust them for backing. Sometimes it's really good to look at the ground near your own bumper when you're trying to get your rig in straight or judge how close you are to the ball.

Several friends on my home campground who use removable mirrors have seen mine and asked about them. I pull out the mirrors, let them sit in the driver's seat and play with them....they are SOLD!

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
mirrors mounted - WOW!

Hello all -

Wnet and mounted the mirrors on 12/23. Tried the compressor to blow the string through but the wire looms were/are too congested with wires already to make the compressor effective.

Did wind up disconnecting the looms from the body AND the door, to striaghten the wiring as much as possible. Then I used the household fish-tape to get through, then pulled a decent sized string through. Then attached the wires to the string and pulled them into place.

Wiring the lights and heat were straighforward. It was quite interesting to find out how the vehicle is assembled. Not nearlly as solid as it seems. Comes apart so easily and quickly - good stuff to know - but still a little wierd. I mean, I have worked on a lot of cars over many years and the Chevy, while a solid unit, is really just a lot of push/pressure fittings with 1 or 2 screws holding things together. Since I have taken the doors all apart once now, I guess I can do it again.

Noise, Vibration, and squeeks make me CRAZY in a vehicle, so the knowledge should help.

Back to the mirrors - they work GREAT!!!!

We pulled out on 12/27 using the new views out the back. It was great to be able to actually see around SilverToy. I didn't have to resort to "the Wiggle" on the road - you know the wiggle!? Could actually see all around her with no trouble. Then, when we wound up pulling into Silver City after dark, they were great to use for backing into our spot. Could see the trailer side, and the area down by the wheels - all in one. No adjusting back and forth. 1st time, straight in, PERFECT!

I've had 3 people ask me about the mirrors already, so I know that they do seem to stand out quite a bit.

They also made one of the bank/ATM drive-thru's interesting. Wound up with 1/2 inch clearance on each end of the truck.

All in all a great addition to the TV. $ well spent. I give them 2 thumbs up!

Happy New year to all - from SilverToy in Silver City!!!!

Ciao

Axel
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #30
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Just went on our first trip 1420 miles, standard mirrors.

No issue with seeing.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Towing with the Toyota Tundra means there are really limited options for trailer mirrors. We have an Argosy so we just open the front and back curtains and we can see right through the trailer for a great view of what's behind him. Got to love those Argosys.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
You might want to check out another thread that covers Tow-N-See mirrors quite extensively:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...towing+mirrors

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
You think you know! But do really?

Lippets -

I agree with your comments about the 'standard' mirrors being OK. Mine were too. But after having a tire shred (didn't see it, in spite of constant checking) and many other instances of "Wishing" I had better views out back....

I upgraded to the Schefenecker mirrors. As other have said, they are major $'s, and they don't fit every day use for some folks (urban driving, etc) but then after just doing about 1K with them on, I will say, unequivicably!!!, that I have far better vision on all circumstances going on with SilverToy (provided you USE them!) than ever.

Would I go back to the standard mirrors? Never.

Do I have them? yes. They will go back on if/when I sell the TV. Assuming that the new owner would have no use of them - and I could re-use the SchM's with the new TV.

Seriously, if you have standard mirrors.... check out the heavy duty versions of your TV and see the mirrors they have - in use.... check out the daily towers in your town.... check out the mirrors of the heavy haulers.... ask them why they use what they use.... You'll see that more info is NEVER too much!!!

Upgrade. You'll be happy you did. I am. Your experience will likely be like mine, but may vary.

Ciao

Axel
Old 01-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My favorite mirrors, as far as seeing A LOT of what is behind me, are the OEM mirrors on my '84 Suburban.

The McKesh mirrors on my late model truck do what I want, but all the mirrors presented take a little getting used to. I find convex mirrors to be great for a general look while going down the road, and the the extended mirrors a necessity for backing up.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1778WP.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	30741  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
So I've looked at the McKesh, See n' Say, all of 'em. But they lack a certain cashé, a vintage style that my old Jeep Wagoneer really demands from a towing mirror.

I really like these old school bolt-on mirrors, like these on the Dodge "Camper Special" that I spied down at TrailerWorks.

Lemmie know if anyone here knows if these (or something really similar) are still made, and where I can grab a set. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mirror.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	60029  
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
VELVAC Mirrors:

Universal Truck and Van on Velvac Inc.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
So I've looked at the McKesh, See n' Say, all of 'em. But they lack a certain cashé, a vintage style that my old Jeep Wagoneer really demands from a towing mirror.

I really like these old school bolt-on mirrors, like these on the Dodge "Camper Special" that I spied down at TrailerWorks.

Lemmie know if anyone here knows if these (or something really similar) are still made, and where I can grab a set. Thanks!
Bredlo,

I have something similar on my PowerWagon, original equipment. I believe they are called Junior West Coast Mirrors. Put that in your browser and Google it.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
waynesboro , Virginia
I had a set of the first ones, bought them at camping world and liked them,
at first, as I used them a second and third time, the suction cups would not hold and they would slip down to the bottom of the truck mirror or completely come loose,,,,,I took them back, they gladly exchanged them, the ones I have now have two rubber belts with a buckle type tightner and they are satisfactory.....Camping World was very cooperative!
waltero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
Amazing source of knowledge on here, thanks so much Rednax! I mean, that's the exact same one, and extends out 20".

Wkerfoot, those West Coast Jr.'s are an excellent alternative. I may just order both to see how they'd look and return whichever ones block too much of my peripheral view. I'm wary to pick based on a photo and start drilling holes in my doors, ya know?

Thanks!

P.S. My 600th POST!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mirror2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	60032  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Amazing source of knowledge on here, thanks so much Rednax! I mean, that's the exact same one, and extends out 20".

Wkerfoot, those West Coast Jr.'s are an excellent alternative. I may just order both to see how they'd look and return whichever ones block too much of my peripheral view. I'm wary to pick based on a photo and start drilling holes in my doors, ya know?

Thanks!

P.S. My 600th POST!!!
The mirrors do block your view, that is why the below eyeline mirrors became popular in the late 70's to early 80's. Now the manufacturers use large passenger car type mirrors and not TRUCK mirrors.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote