Old 06-04-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Another vote for TTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
Ok. I'll be the non-McKesh party pooper. I was more interested in a permanent solution. I discovered the Schefenacker site, and ordered a pair:

http://www.tttmirror.com/
I had McKesh at one time and ended up selling them after all kinds of trouble with the window glass hanging up on them and the window gaskets being deformed. Also, I am mostly alone and getting the right side mirror properly adjusted was always a hassle.

I went with slip-ons for a while; same right hand side problems, but less trouble than the McKesh. On a cost-performance basis, I would choose the slip-ons over the McKesh.

I bought the Schefenacker TTT mirrors for my present diesel and installed them myself. Hardest problem was getting the wire for the marker lights out of the door and through the accordian rubber tube. Entire installation took an afternoon. Heat, and adjustment is just like OEM.

They fit perfectly and I have many inquiries as to whether they are OEM and where I bought them. One thing I like is the flat right hand mirror that makes clearance judgement easier and the BIG convex mirror alongside to see traffic alongside.

This is one purchase I would make again in a flash.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
After our last trip, we are in the market for some mirrors, too! Looks like the majority goes with McKesh.

So-do we get the convex mirrors, too?

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Mesh Mirrors

Hi all, I returned from the Region 1 latest rally.One Problem with the M & M ,I almost had a accident with them on. I went for a ride in my truck to site see and I found they block my view when crossing a road against heavy Traffic.The solution is take them off and leave them in your trailer .for site seeing and use them , when towing with them.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
If you are looking for a set of McKesh mirrors with all of the options please click here.

Thanks for looking,

Dinoburb
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Escondido , California
CIPA has a mirror that looks just like the McKish. Part Number 11650. http://www.cipausa.com/
After using slip on mirrors on the Tundra, I finally switched to a pair of McKish. I like the McKish best. I take mine off when not towing. I had a close call one time while not towing the trailer.
Sam
AIR #13642
04 Safari 25SS, 03 Toyota Tundra
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We used a pair of McKesh mirrors for about six months and, during this period we towed our Airstream about 10,000 miles. I liked the McKesh and and they worked well. I always took them off when not towing and they usually held their position. When the right mirror did need adjustment, it was a pain, even with two people.

About a month ago, we were walking through the Camping World in Tallahassee when I saw the Tow N See mirrors on display. I decided to give them a try. I have now used these for about 2,000 miles. My McKesh mirrors are now for sale (PM me if you are interested). The Tow N See really work for me. They are super easy to install, remove, and store, The fact that they adjust with the inside electric control is really convenient. I have found my towing mirrors.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
What a coincidence to run into nazz300's thread. I HAVE nazz's McKesh mirrors now. He sold them on eBay when he bought a new TV with maxed out mirrors. Then I camped next to nazz at the Georgia rally, he recognized the mirrors and we found he was the eBayer I had bought from. It's a small world.

I can tell you, McKesh's are great even the second time around. Once I have the mirrors adjusted where I want, tighten them down and they stay put even between uses. Moosetags is right, they are a pain to adjust when necessary. Takes less than a minute for me to take them off or put them on. Never had any road vibration, they stay steady, no vehicle damage or window problems. I do take them off when not hitched, its just so easy.

I had originally thought about Tow-n-See, but based on what I had read at the time I went with McKesh and haven't been sorry. To anyone thinking about McKesh I would recommend getting the two convex mirrors with the package for maximum coverage.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
...I had McKesh at one time and ended up selling them after all kinds of trouble with the window glass hanging up on them and the window gaskets being deformed. Also, I am mostly alone and getting the right side mirror properly adjusted was always a hassle.
I had the same problem and solved it by mounting a straight-action toggle clamp on them. It clamps up against the door trim and pulls the mirror frame away from the glass. Added benefit is that it was a firmer attachment with less vibration compared to the original.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_1749.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	29189

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
I am very happy with my CIPA Universal Towing Mirrors - since the mirror housing protects the mirror from buffeting there is no vibration blur.

That said, those Schefenacker TTT mirrors look awfully sweet. If I towed with a full size pickup they would be my choice.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:54 PM   #24
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
In Addition to Mirrors...

Regardless of which mirrors you are using consider the following tip if your AS permits. Danielle and I found a handy procedure that helps when we tow our AS - we open the front curtains and open the rear curtains. That allows us to see all the way through the trailer. Granted, this is not a substitute for mirrors, but it sure helps. In particular, when there's a small vehicle tailgating us I can see it through the rear view mirror but may miss it in the side view mirrors.

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:01 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Schefenecker mirrors....

AgZep, Pahaska & all -

Happy Holidays!!!! All the best to all of you!!!!!

Santa was nice to me and the TV, Kelly. Brought a pair of the Schefenecker mirrors... Of course we have had 15 inches of snow that has prevented the install.... but it will happen.... when???

They are the "Full Monte" version. Yes, they are pricy, in fact it took me about 12 months to go thru the other versions that are available - clip on, suction cup, etc....Chose the TTT's becuase they are going to look the most OEM, NO on/off, easy adjustability, and additional visibility with the running/ turn signals in LED.... Also, read every mirror thread there was on ASF, and there were several cogent comments from people that had actual experience with all the various mirrors, towing and not. Those were really important, since the sales hype ALWAYS advocates in the affirmative for their particular product. In the end I wanted a plug and play mirror that had all the advantages listed above, and NONE of the negatives.

Of course, that was a nearly $460 choice ( $491 w/tax) that some might not make. I've just run over too many of the slide on, suction, clip mirrors to count... I want my investment to appreciate, not vibrate off and get run over!

Pahaska, saw that one of your posts mentioned issues with the accordian tube. Could you elaborate?? I was thinking of taking the compressor and 'blowing' string thru the tube as a cable puller - would that work, in your opinion? I've seen that work in confined, convoluted runs.... Just thinking here... I am open to any suggestions.

Be safe out there!

Axel
Old 12-21-2006, 06:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Pahaska, saw that one of your posts mentioned issues with the accordian tube. Could you elaborate?? I was thinking of taking the compressor and 'blowing' string thru the tube as a cable puller - would that work, in your opinion? I've seen that work in confined, convoluted runs.... Just thinking here... I am open to any suggestions.

Be safe out there!

Axel
That just might work. The instructions say to partially disconnect the accordian tube and I had a struggle, not only getting the wire through, but also getting the tube reattached.

I can't really give any advice since I can't remember what I did that finally made it work.

You will love the mirrors!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
What the heck, I'll try it!

John -

Thanks for the note back. I'll try the compressor variation to try to get that wire pulled. I'll report back after I attempt it....

Experiementation.... love it.... we'll see if it works!

Ciao

Axel
Old 12-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Schefenecker mirrors....

I've had them from day one on my tow vehicle. I'd get them again in a New York heartbeat. The only option I didn't get on mine was the in mirror blinking turn arrows... which would have added about another $70 to the cost. I must have gotten a great deal, because I paid about $400 including installation.

Being single, it's a pain in the neck to have to jump in and out six times to adjust the mirrors.

Another benefit that folks haven't mentioned is that you can adjust them for backing. Sometimes it's really good to look at the ground near your own bumper when you're trying to get your rig in straight or judge how close you are to the ball.

Several friends on my home campground who use removable mirrors have seen mine and asked about them. I pull out the mirrors, let them sit in the driver's seat and play with them....they are SOLD!

Paula